PDA

View Full Version : New laptop problems...

--Wolf--
26-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Brand new Asus K50IJ laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit, 4gb Ram.

Right, worked fine, quick as before I did anything to it. Downloaded the automatic Windows updates, transferred like 2gb of movies/pics/documents onto it and then installed KIS 2009 before realising I needed 2010, was taking forever to update anyway.

Now everything, EVERYTHING, documents, my computer, ANYTHING takes forever to load/open and half the time it says "not responding".

Am currently trying to install KIS 2010 (which I transferred the installer from old laptop, not downloaded on new) and it's just sitting on the install screen saying it's loading. Why all of a sudden does everything perform worse than my 5 year old laptop? I'd do a format but don't have the Win7 CD.

Any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
26-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Its probably got a restore partition / restore the system. Or create the cds / dvd from the menu. Did you uninstall KIS 09 before trying to install 2010?

DeSade
26-02-2010, 10:10 PM
You would have a factory restore point, you may lose a few gig of stuff but you will get a working machine back.

--Wolf--
26-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Haven't uninstalled KIS 09 but the problem started before trying to install 2010. I will try a restore, though it did tell me to make a backup onto cd/dvds when I first started but didn't have any spare.

Will I have to do all those windows updates again? It took overnight and I don't know if that's what's causing it or not?

DeSade
26-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Likely the restore point is before you did anything to the machine so yes you will lose whatever you changed.

--Wolf--
26-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Unless there is a complete factory one I can't find (not liking W7 all that much, too complicated compared to XP) the earliest one is before the windows updates (and before installing KIS 09) so I'll try that.

Speedy Gonzales
26-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I would restore it and yup you'll have to reinstall the updates. And no, I dont think the updates would make it slow. But if youre using a solid colour background it can take twice as long booting into windows. Disable windows search in services. If KIS created a system restore point, go back before you installed it

Sweep
26-02-2010, 10:21 PM
A complete factory one will be on a hidden partition where you won't see it.

--Wolf--
26-02-2010, 10:23 PM
^ That doesn't mean much to me sorry...can I just use the one before the updates.

And Speedy it wasn't just everything taking forever to load, half the time it would jump between not responding and just loading.

DeSade
26-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Use the one before the KIS if it doesn't you can go looking for the one before that.
No limit to how many times you can restore so go for it.

Speedy Gonzales
26-02-2010, 10:27 PM
But was that before or after you installed KIS? It started not responding etc?

Sweep
26-02-2010, 10:32 PM
The laptop should have come with recovery CDs/DVDs or usually press F9 on startup to access the hidden partition.

But you can also use System restore.

--Wolf--
26-02-2010, 10:44 PM
It did come with "Windows 7 Recovery Media for Windows 7 products", an Asus CD. is that just a factory restore?

And Speedy the restore I just tried doing was before KIS...but just got this error message:

"System restore did not complete successfully. Your computers system files and settings were not changed."

Details:

The creation of a shadow copy has timed out. Try this operation again. (0x81000101)

Will try it again...hate this stuff.

Sweep
26-02-2010, 10:48 PM
The Asus CD is the factory restore and should put your computer back to the way it was shipped to you.

Speedy Gonzales
26-02-2010, 10:50 PM
This may apply to Win7 (http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/71378-unable-perform-file-backup-error-0x81000101.html). Or this (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaappearance/thread/68bbbd0b-2932-407d-b84d-2af2775d15f0). You may have to do a restore. If it keeps on doing it, take it back. Hmm what BIOS is on it?? Since it looks like it needs BIOS 212 so it supports Win7? Must have this on it, since Win7 is on it already. Or look here (http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=K50Ij&board_id=3)

--Wolf--
26-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Am using the CD now...Ok no i'm not, how do I get it to work? Thought it would just be put in tray and start up system...do I have to press something on start up or is it something I do from the CD itself?

Will have a look at those links thanks, and sorry but how do i check what BIOS is on it?

Speedy Gonzales
26-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Read the manual if it came with one. Or go here then download it (http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&product=3&model=K50Ij&type=map&f_type=12)

--Wolf--
26-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Thank you Speedy, Sweep and DeSade ...am doing the recovery now. Will let you know how I get on.

FoxyMX
27-02-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't know the exact model number but a family member bought a similar-speced Asus laptop last week and she has not reported any slowdown since downloading updates and installing all her junk on it, ie iTunes.

Would suggest that you do one thing at a time once you have restored it back to factory state. By that I mean download the updates then wait a day or two before installing anything else. That way you will find out what caused the slowdown.

And create a restore point before installing things so that you can undo anything causing problems.

And get some DVDs to make the recovery disks.