PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Problem

Nadia
26-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Hi,

I can't seem to connect to my the net through wireless on my laptop anymore.
Everytime I try to connect it keeps saying "acquiring network address" then it connects for about 2 secs then disconnects again, it keeps doing this in that order.
Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks,

Nadia.

SolMiester
26-02-2010, 03:08 PM
The switch on your wireless router, how old and what model. (Linksys per chance?), or it has dropped the settings (wireless adapter) and needs to be re-configured

Nadia
26-02-2010, 03:17 PM
I am using a Thomson TG585v7, it's about 6 months old.
I'm not sure what you mean by "dropped the settings".

It was working fine lastnight but mid-way through loading a page it stopped.
I've reset the modem but nothings changed.

GR8Metal
26-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi Nadia,
Are you running windows XP, Vista or Win7 on your laptop? Try disconnecting from the wireless network then reconnecting...

Nadia
26-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Hi I'm using XP Professional.

I have disconnected it and reconnected, it keeps doing the same as I mentioned in my first post.

GR8Metal
26-02-2010, 03:56 PM
If you right click on the wireless icon on the bottom of the taskbar, go to "view wireless networks" then, on the left hand side go to "change advanced settings", in the white box where it displays the name of your wireless network, remove it. Search for the wireless network and try connecting again. You will be asked for your wireless key etc. (make sure the wireless security details are correct). Try that and let us know.... (this only applies if windows controls your wireless connections)

Speedy Gonzales
26-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Is SP3 installed? Altho, according to Google that modem has a few probs with disconnecting and with wireless

Nadia
26-02-2010, 04:03 PM
If you right click on the wireless icon on the bottom of the taskbar, go to "view wireless networks" then, on the left hand side go to "change advanced settings", in the white box where it displays the name of your wireless network, remove it. Search for the wireless network and try connecting again. You will be asked for your wireless key etc. (make sure the wireless security details are correct). Try that and let us know.... (this only applies if windows controls your wireless connections)

Tried this already, doesn't work.

Nadia
26-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Is SP3 installed? Altho, according to Google that modem has a few probs with disconnecting and with wireless

Yes SP3 installed.

Nadia
26-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Grrrrr....the problem was really basic.
With abit of googling (and I always say "Google is your friend" =D), I have identified the problem and corrected it.

Thumbs up GR8Metal!
You were kinda right, with the wireless security issue.
I found that I to change the wep key.

Thanks for the help guys =]