PDA

View Full Version : CD DRIVE "Please insert a disc into drive E"

Jim
26-02-2010, 09:01 AM
I have looked through similar messages but can't find a relevant answer so I'll ask:

My desktop computer crashed so I had to get my hard drive wiped and Windows XP put back on it again and at the moment I am putting my programs back on it again

I know that my CD drives are working because I am putting my programs back on my computer using drive E (That gets rid of one suggestion that I can across that there was something wrong with my drive E)

When I put a CD-R in my drive and go to START>right click>CD Drive E, I get the message "Please insert a disc into drive E" (I have tried many discs with the same answer and just bought some new ones yesterday) I find it interesting that this is the same notice when drive E is empty

Any suggestions please

Jim

CYaBro
26-02-2010, 09:10 AM
What are you trying to do with the CD-R discs?
If they are blank discs then that is the error you will get.

kahawai chaser
26-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Perhaps find/use a utility to tell you the status of the disc in the drive, i.e. if empty disc, disc type, file size, etc. I think Nero express could verify any medium present in the drive.

Jim
01-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Thank you for the replies

After continually playing aropund with my computer - and banging my head against the nearest wall - I think I have found the problem - now all I have to do is to solve it but I don't like changing the registry

When I look at the properties of the CD-R drive the Recording tag is not there

Jim

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2010, 03:00 PM
You may have to edit the registry if you want to fix it. You may have to do this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529)

pctek
01-03-2010, 04:21 PM
When I put a CD-R in my drive and go to START>right click>CD Drive E, I get the message "Please insert a disc into drive E"

WHy are you right clicking? Are you trying to read it or trying to write to it?

To read it, just open Windows Explorer, then select the drive.
To write use your CD writing program. Nero or whatever.
If you haven't got one, download Imgburn.

CYaBro
01-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I agree with pctek.
Don't bother trying to get the built in Windows burning/recording feature working again, it's crap anyway.
Download CDBurnerXP or some other free burning software. Much more user friendly.