PDA

View Full Version : More nasties?

sarel
26-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Every Thursday I update my AV (Nod32), and other anti-spyware (all the usuals) and then run a scan on all. Usually I get nothing, or perhaps one or two tracking cookies. This week, however, every single program (except Nod) picked up at least one "nasty" (nasty = something that's considerd a high risk by the program, but not a trojan) that I haven't seen before - and I spent even less time on-line this week than previous. I also do not surf to dodgy sites - my sites include newspapers, cricket, rugby, PF1, etc. Any-one else saw the same?

sarel

pctek
26-02-2010, 08:57 AM
If you don't believe it, take a look at what it says you had, what files or reg entries were affected then look it up on the net to see what files/reg entries are supposed to be there.

That will give you an idea if it is genuine or just a false positive.

wainuitech
26-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Every Thursday I update my AV (Nod32) WHAT !!! only once a week - hope you're joking, Maybe its not setup correctly, I set them up to look for updates every time the computer starts, as well as every hour. You dont even know its doing it apart from a message pops up saying updated to ??? What ever it may be.

Most of the time they update daily (sometimes twice a day), but in the case of a new outbreak, I have seen Nod32 update new definitions SIX times in one day.

sarel
26-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Ahh Wanui you're right, Nod is set to update automatically but on Thursdays I actually tell it to check again. So yes mine's the same as yours.

sarel

pctek
26-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Calm down.

If you were the sort who visits suspect sites or engages in dodgy downloads maybe.

But I only update and scan with all my anti-malware once a week. Never found anything other than a false positive or two yet.

wainuitech
26-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Mine updates and is finished installing the latest updates before the Computer even finishes starting in the morning. Takes (have not timed it) about 15 seconds from the time I enter my password to fully running.