PDA

View Full Version : Numerous amount of PCs

Nomad
25-02-2010, 07:43 PM
I seen that orgs tend to get brandname PCs.

In terms of remote networking / network maintenance that orgs do. Is it feasible to use non MNCs?

I understand that a number of the hardware has to be the same. Gathering hundreds of the same PC from one smaller shop might be difficult. I've seen Quay Computers does it for Victoria University, could Ascent, Paradigm PC and CL achieve that?

I also noticed that the larger orgs prefer some "corporate" support.

Battleneter2
25-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Yes one small vendor can provide 100's of the same clone PC's, the wholesalers here in NZ do carry or can get enough stock generally (speaking from ex 11 years wholesale experience)

One huge problem is getting a identical mobo replacement say 1.5 years down the track, thats where they can't guarantee consistency. Company's like Dell do guarantee they will repair with the same hardware for 3 years. This is important to corporates as they don't want to be dealing with dozens of configs for there image etc. Dell also provide Config numbers to track individual machines, guarantee response times, 24hr corporate phone support etc.

I will never own a Dell or HP myself for home as I can get much better value out of a clone, but unfortunately for a "large" environment would only use a company like HP or Dell.

beeswax34
25-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Also with MNC's, there maybe an option to trade-in old PC's or re-sell them back.

MNC's also provide financing when organizations need it since smaller dealers may not be able to do this.

Deimos
25-02-2010, 08:40 PM
The face of OS deployment has changed since XP, now with Vista and Win7 you don't need to have the same hardware to mass deploy with WDS.

With many businesses you'd be better off with brandname computers purely for the support they provide, for example, one firm I worked for used Dell, and the support contract provided for forward replacement and/or a tech onsite to replace parts.

even for a smaller company having an on site support contract can be quite valuable, most onsite support contracts are also 24h response, a small computer company just can't provide that level of support for the price of the larger companies.

razzarphenix
25-02-2010, 08:41 PM
I seen that orgs tend to get brandname PCs.

In terms of remote networking / network maintenance that orgs do. Is it feasible to use non MNCs?

I understand that a number of the hardware has to be the same. Gathering hundreds of the same PC from one smaller shop might be difficult. I've seen Quay Computers does it for Victoria University, could Ascent, Paradigm PC and CL achieve that?

I also noticed that the larger orgs prefer some "corporate" support.

Compucon can provide the same type of system for quite some time down to the same motherboard.

SolMiester
26-02-2010, 02:10 PM
I believe like hardware used to be an issue due to the fact that images needed to be for the same hardware, however windows 7 doesnt have that issue.

Nomad
26-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Are MNC PCs really that bad?

Okay, they may not be as bang for the dollar. Having worked for some years in the larger orgs they all use MNC PCs. Of the years only a colleague's Acer PSU went on fire. I myself had no hardware problems and I cannot recall the last blue screen I had.

Are anyone able to say MNC really fall over more often? After assuming that maybe many Jane and Joe buy from appliance stores and they may be not have the technical skills to troubleshoot their own PCs, hence MNC PCs may be over represented.

Now doing a course in IT, I'm getting a new perspective. The MNC PCs are so much lighter to be moved around. At the end of the day if they meet your needs, they are reliable and they are not too badly priced, what's wrong with them. Many users are probably not interested getting into the lingo and looking at performance charts.