PDA

View Full Version : WI-FI Very Very Slow

dagangsta
25-02-2010, 04:03 PM
I have a D-Link 624S Wireless router connected to a speed touch ADSL modem. (Provided by Telecom)

When I use LAN on my desktop the internet is average speed. But then using my laptop (Wi-Fi) the internet is very slow. Watching a youtube video is very slow. It takes about 30 minutes for a 15 min video to load.
I tried the laptop right next to the router but it is still very slow. It is wireless G.

I might switch to Vodafone or Telstra Clear because it is slightly cheaper.
My plan on telecom is Total Home Lite with 5 GB Broadband usage. I have not used it up.

Is there a problem with this or is it just Telecom's speed.
And if so what provider should I change phone line and broadband to?

Chilling_Silence
25-02-2010, 05:18 PM
A couple of things:
1) What speed does it say you're connected to the wireless at on your laptop?
2) Do a test on speedtest.net on your laptop, and then immediately after on your desktop. Post the results
3) Do a test on pingtest.net on your laptop, and then immediately after on your desktop. Post the results

Do you know what DNS servers you're using on your laptop?

ranaroo1975
10-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi, I have a similar problem with a D-Link DSL-G604T connected to my Slingshot MAX wireless broadband. If I connect directly to the broadband equipment, a speedtest is around 4Mbps, however when I'm connected through the router, the speeds drop to around 300Kbps, irrespective of if it is wireless or ethernet cable.
Slingshot of course say they can't help as their product is only designed to be connected to one computer. However that isn't practical using it plugged into their gear.
Any thoughts anyone on why the D-Link router is slowing things up?

Agent_24
10-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Ranaroo1975: Sounds like you need to use a plain switch\hub rather than a router
You really should start your own thread though, to get better help.

Chilling_Silence
10-03-2010, 04:42 PM
It's a D-Link, unfortunately they don't have the best reputation :-/

Not directly the same symptoms or router model, but you'll get the gist of it:
http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/