PDA

View Full Version : Mail merge date problem

user
25-02-2010, 02:13 PM
I am trying to mail merge from an Access database into a Word document. The list shows club members and their expiry date. The database expiry date field is formatted as dd/mm/yy. However, when I merge into a Word document, it is always imported as mm/dd/yy. I have not found a way to change it to the New Zealand format. Perhaps I am missing a setting in Word to change this?

When I insert the date into a Word document using the 'insert time and date' option, it is set to show dd/mm/yy so this does not appear to affect the format of the mail merge document.

kahawai chaser
25-02-2010, 09:18 PM
I did similar a few years back using date codes and mail merge, so try field codes and adapt the date codes to your imported dates; Insert - Field - Date and Time - Date (Select) - Click options - then choose format. I thinks field codes are the only other options to create/convert dates (in code format), you may have to also apply it to a macro if you have numerous dates to convert.

user
26-02-2010, 10:05 AM
When I try to right-click to format the date, the only options I can access is to insert and format todays date, which is of no use. There doesn't appear to be the option of formatting the date from the database as it is mail merged.

kahawai chaser
26-02-2010, 10:39 AM
There is an option to change the date under regional and language settings in the control panel (which should be set to English NZ), which may affect some programs. Might work.

linw
26-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Heaps of references 'out there'.
Try this one http://www.officearticles.com/word/merge_field_formatting_in_microsoft_word.htm

user
26-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks Linw, almost there. The order is correct for the date display but the month is showing as '00'. I will dig around those references a little more to see how to solve the final little problem.

Got the problem sorted, need to use MMMM for the month in the code, not mmmm which refers to minutes.

Thanks for the help.

linw
26-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Cheers - progress is good!