PDA

View Full Version : Multi Booting Problem

Tony.br
25-02-2010, 01:37 PM
I have an odd problem and I wonder if anyone knows how to correct it

I have quite a bit of experience in partitioning Hard Drives and understand partitioning software, but the answer to this problem eludes me.

My hard drive was partitioned into 2 bootable XP partitions and extended partition with 2 logical drives.

My main XP partition was first, and a second one contained another copy of XP used as a sort of backup in case my main one became corrupted. I also used it as a test bed to try different software.

I did not use a Boot manager. Instead I used a program from the old dos GHOST days... PQBOOT32.exe

The beauty of this was that it just changed the active status of the partitions and made the others hidden and they would stay like that until I selected another Bootable Partition. At times I would have a 3rd when I needed it and it handled that equally well.

Recently I decided to play with the WIN7 release candidate, but the boot manager only worked with the WIN7 and the first XP partition. A few weeks later, I removed WIN7 and recovered the space.

All was OK until I tried to get into XP_2. It just it hung. I got out of it by manually changed the active partition. In the course of trying to find out what was happening, I discovered EASYBCD and it identified the 2nd Partition as having a VISTA/WIN7 boot.

However nothing else worked and upon investigating, I discovered EasyBCD is for Vista/win 7 only.

Sure I could wipe partition 2 and reload from scratch but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Here is what EasyBCD says….

~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 24 seconds.
Default OS: Earlier Version of Windows

Entry #1

Name: Earlier Version of Windows
BCD ID: {ntldr}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \ntldr

Entry #2

Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {2d24fb4f-ca69-11de-a1fd-d925c4d55a19}
Drive: Deleted Partition
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wonder if anyone can suggest a way to recreate the correct boot information.

KarameaDave
25-02-2010, 02:04 PM
you need to reinstall the XP bootloader

Use the Bootcfg utility in the Recovery Console to correct the Boot.ini file:

1. Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to start your computer.
2. When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
3. Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted.
4. Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.
5. When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
[Type All in response to this message.]

Enter Load Identifier:
[This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]

Enter OS Load options:
[Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].
After you perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.

then I would run fixmbr and fixboot from the same recovery console just to be sure

Tony.br
26-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Many thanks for the suggestion. Some of which I have tried before in various ways

I cloned the drive and tried it but sadly it didn't help

I suspect it is more than just the Boot.ini file

I think it is going to be a case killing the second Partition and reloading XP from Scratch

I appreciate your suggestions though

Regards Tony