PDA

View Full Version : Water Cooling

DeSade
25-02-2010, 12:09 AM
I never really considered it before, but I have a new MB that supports it and also a massive case so should he easy to fit it but I know very little about it.

Can anyone recommend a great water cooling kit thats easy to setup with good instructions?

qazwsxokmijn
25-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Not fully intending to advertise my stuff, but: :p
http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/382765/?s=

All those items new would cost you $350+.

A great watercooling kit consists of hand picked components. An Apogee GTZ or Dtek Fuzion waterblock, any suitable reservoir, an adequate radiator made by Swiftech, Feser, HW Labs, or Danger Den, some fittings, a Swiftech MCP655 1/2 ID pump or MCP355 for 3/8 ID tubing and whatever length of tubing you need. The most expensive is Tygon 3603 tubes, at $30/m. They are better than other tubings as you can bend them more tightly without them kinking on the inside as much as cheaper tubes.

Oh, and the liquid, of course. With an all-copper setup all you need to use is distilled water and some anti-biological agent. Many are now turning to silver coils (which cannot be bought here unfortunately) for the anti-biological properties, or some other biocide.....which I am not sure which to use for a watercooling setup.

When I had my watercooling setup (not the one I'm trying to sell, the one before this one), I had two rods of colloidal silver which does the job somewhat but after a few months some growth did appear in the middle of the CPU waterblock and around the edges of fittings.

DeSade
25-02-2010, 12:28 AM
I have no idea if thats a good kit or not really.
How does it work, where do the pieces go?

Can it be mounted easily to the inside of a case?

I am thinking I am better off with some sort of full system that goes together from the start, but I dunno.

Deimos
25-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Don't buy a kit, almost all of them suck, the only exception is the Swiftech Apex Ultra, I bought one a few years back, its still going strong but I don't think you can get them any more, and even if you could I wouldn't get one as they are only suited to the last gen of hardware.

Unless you are willing to spend some serious money (at least $1k, 1/3 of that just for the water block and rad) don't bother, and steer clear of the all in onelike these:
http://playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=216/ID=6553/SID=1051025654/productdetails.html
as the top air coolers like the Thermalright Ultra 120 or the Prolimatech Megahalems or Mega shadow can keep up and in some cases best it. (I have both the Ultra 120 and the Mega Shadow and they are both superb coolers).

However in saying that, if you do end up buying water, and spare no expense, it will last you years, and dare I say it, you will not regret it.

Build your own, and get Feiser 1 cooling liquid as it doesn't conduct like water does, so if it leaks its not a major catastrophe (I've never had a leak).

get:
Danger den rad/s and pump
1/2 internal diameter tubing and fittings
any res will do, just get one that will suit your setup
There are lots of waterblocks to choose from, do a bit of research before you buy.
you will also need to decide if you water to W/C your vidcard, if you do the ideal setup is to have the CPU off the rad, then the vid card, or you can opt for a multi rad setup if your case can accomodate, in which case you would want rad -> CPU -> rad -> vid card.

Good luck.

qazwsxokmijn
25-02-2010, 12:45 AM
What I have is the MCP655 pump I mentioned, the Tygon tubing, the fittings and the 1L bottle of Feser ready cooling liquid. The liquid already contains anti-corrosive and anti-biological agents.

Can it be mounted inside of a case? Well, the reservoir goes in a 3.5" bay, if the bay isn't 'closed off' by the 5.25" bay, but when it comes to the radiator, unless your case is something like the Corsair Obsidian 800D, then you'll have to improvise. Put it on top, or bottom, maybe drill a couple of holes for the tubing to go through etc.

Seriously, you HAVE TO google watercooling and look at other people's projects so you'll understand what I mean.

$1K for a watercooling kit? That's ridiculous!

Apogee GTZ - $140
Swiftech MCR320 - $125
Swiftech MCRES res - $65
MCP655 pump - $175
2m of Tygon - $60
Distilled water + some anti-biological agent - $10ish

Total = around $575

Nowhere near $1k man. Of course, vid card waterblocks are separate but even those are less than $180 - the 5870 waterblocks are only $170 IIRC.

DeSade
25-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Case is a HAF 932

Deimos
25-02-2010, 12:49 AM
snip.

Is that stuff used or new? I might be keen, I have been thinking of building a new PC in a Silverstone TJ07 and will probably use my old kit in my HTPC

DeSade
25-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Those google pics of water cooled pcs scare the hell out of me lol.

Deimos
25-02-2010, 12:58 AM
$1K for a watercooling kit? That's ridiculous!

I've been looking at Danger Den stuff and some expensive waterblocks, it never occurred to me to get Swiftech stuff again as it was such a pain to source last time! looks as though it is a lot cheaper now but still not many people stock it...

Deimos
25-02-2010, 01:05 AM
I don't know if this img link will work but here is my rig:
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff345/Zeustek/IMG_8259.jpg
Specs:
Intel Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz
8Gb Corsair Dominator
Asus Maximus II Formula
2 x WD 500GB Raid Edition
Asus Dark Knight 4870 1GB
SB X-Fi Titanium

Watercooling is:
Swiftech Apex Ultra plus upgraded to 1/2" ID Tygon + Feiser 1 fluid
CPU and all waterblocks have been lapped to mirror finish.

qazwsxokmijn
25-02-2010, 09:18 AM
I don't know if this img link will work but here is my rig:
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff345/Zeustek/IMG_8259.jpg
Specs:
Intel Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz
8Gb Corsair Dominator
Asus Maximus II Formula
2 x WD 500GB Raid Edition
Asus Dark Knight 4870 1GB
SB X-Fi Titanium

Watercooling is:
Swiftech Apex Ultra plus upgraded to 1/2" ID Tygon + Feiser 1 fluid
CPU and all waterblocks have been lapped to mirror finish.
That's a pretty nice looking rig. How did you place the HDDs like that?

Oh, and my stuff on GP are second hand.

hueybot3000
25-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Pretty tidy setup.

I use swiftech block and pump and danger den radiator. All seems pretty good for the money

DeSade
25-02-2010, 06:59 PM
So this swifttech, where can I find it?
Anyone in chch willing to show me and talk me through how a WC system works?
I am not getting it from the pics.

Speedy Gonzales
25-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Here (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/liquid-cooled-pc.htm)

Deimos
25-02-2010, 07:50 PM
That's a pretty nice looking rig. How did you place the HDDs like that?

Oh, and my stuff on GP are second hand.

I drilled holes in the mobo tray and cut a couple of holes for the cables, the case side is painted inside and out, so the holes are disguised somewhat...

Yeah, I've had a look online, I'm considering just using my existing WC setup for my next rig, just add a second rad (MCR320) and change the waterblock to suit, add a decent waterblock for vid card so the final setup will be dual rad (MCR220 + MCR 320) should fit nicely in a TJ07.

My HTPC can stay on air, I have a Mega Shadow and an SSD in there at the moment, it's quiet enough.

DeSade
25-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Awesome link there speedy, I have a much better idea of how this works now.

Just had a look at that megashadow, how does something like that attach horizontally and still hold on?
Its massive.
Wouldn't it cause a issue pulling on the CPU?

hueybot3000
25-02-2010, 08:40 PM
So this swifttech, where can I find it?
Anyone in chch willing to show me and talk me through how a WC system works?
I am not getting it from the pics.

I'm in chch, would be happy to help out. You sure this is for you though? Watercooling is great but its also alot of work

DeSade
25-02-2010, 08:48 PM
No I am not sure at all just investigating my options really.

Maybe I am best to go for the megashadow option just don't see how that thing can stick there at all without ripping off the board.

hueybot3000
25-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Well theres no real point in WC unless you want to overclock heavily or just want the brag factor, personally im both. It can be fun, but also stressful when you have water dribling through your graphics card

qazwsxokmijn
25-02-2010, 08:57 PM
No I am not sure at all just investigating my options really.

Maybe I am best to go for the megashadow option just don't see how that thing can stick there at all without ripping off the board.
It's not too bad. Your motherboard may flex a bit, but nothing to worry about. Even with a fan it will be less than 1kg. The Megahalems mounting system is better than TRUE120 as a lot of the pressure is less on the motherboard with the former cooler.

As for watercooling.....I was in the same boat as you when I started it. It is a bit of work.....but the temps and overclocking headroom is worth it. The only things hindering me from watercooling again is time and money.

DeSade
25-02-2010, 09:01 PM
I was thinking about having a go at overclocking since the CPU isn't quite what I wanted.

Intel Core i7-920 2.66Ghz 8MB Cache *Quad Core* 2000Mhz Socket B (LGA1366) CPU + Fan Retail Boxed (BX80601920)

Really wanted to hit the 3Ghz mark but those chips were not available.
From what I have read I could get 3.5 easily with this CPU even as a rank beginner (could be completely wrong there) but maybe the mega is enough anyway.

qazwsxokmijn
25-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Well I could tell you as a Megahalems and 920 owner it is enough for the 920 at 4GHz. Temps are high when stability testing with prime95 though, 3/4 cores often goes up to low-mid 80s, even with 2x 2000rpm CM Sickleflow fans in push-pull. High-end gaming with Bioshock 2, Crysis etc heats up the cores to high 60s/low 70s. But the fans will only run at 1000rpm each.

Now with uni starting next week this PC of mine will be mostly used for internet, email, brother's low-demand games, and videos. No high-end gaming unfortunately, so I'm clocking it down from 4GHz to 3.2GHz, which is still plenty enough for all the above uses, especially when the main drive is an X25-M!

DeSade
25-02-2010, 09:19 PM
hehe sounds like thats the best plan then, the megashadow.

and snap

Intel X25-M Mainstream Solid State Drive - 34nm Product Line - Solid state drive - 80GB - internal - 2.5 - SATA-300

I would still like it at least 3.5
What MB do you have Qaz?

My next step is to start working out how to overclock heh.

Thanks for all the help with this thread guys, I think liquid can wait a few more builds.

Deimos
25-02-2010, 09:31 PM
It's not too bad. Your motherboard may flex a bit, but nothing to worry about. Even with a fan it will be less than 1kg. The Megahalems mounting system is better than TRUE120 as a lot of the pressure is less on the motherboard with the former cooler.

I would disagree with you there, the Megashadow is more complex, the true was slightly easier to install, they both apply the same amount of pressure on the CPU (roughly) and as for weight, these coolers appear to be huge but they are not that heavy, the mounting brakets can handle it no problem.

FYI the Mega Shadow and TRUE both weigh in at 790 grams, the TRUE copper (not released yet) weighs in at 1900 grams!!

Deimos
25-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Well I could tell you as a Megahalems and 920 owner it is enough for the 920 at 4GHz. Temps are high when stability testing with prime95 though, 3/4 cores often goes up to low-mid 80s, even with 2x 2000rpm CM Sickleflow fans in push-pull. High-end gaming with Bioshock 2, Crysis etc heats up the cores to high 60s/low 70s. But the fans will only run at 1000rpm each.

Have you tried intel burn test? you can add up to 20 degrees to those temps (don't try it, trust me, if you get 80 with prime, your CPU is as good as dead with intel burn test)

I killed an E6600 at 3.6Ghz with Intel Burn Test :badpc:

trinsic
25-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I don't think water cooling is for you. Its not exactly a set and forget system and not for the faint of heart either. Just get some good air cooling instead.

qazwsxokmijn
25-02-2010, 09:43 PM
I would disagree with you there, the Megashadow is more complex, the true was slightly easier to install, they both apply the same amount of pressure on the CPU (roughly) and as for weight, these coolers appear to be huge but they are not that heavy, the mounting brakets can handle it no problem.
I was talking about the pulling pressure on the motherboard. Not the mounting pressure on the CPU. You reckon the True120 is easier to install? I like the Megahalems' system much better......the TRUE120 was a pain to install when the motherboard is already in the case.

And yeah, I've done Intel BT. For some reason it doesn't stress it as much as prime95. I get significantly (up to 10 degrees max) higher temps using P95 than IBT.

So if you're too squeamish with watercooling, then just grab a Megahalems/Shadow.