PDA

View Full Version : Cannot view contents of memory stick

FoxyMX
24-02-2010, 10:12 PM
When I plug a memory stick into the USB port an icon appears "Safely remove Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader" for a short while then disappears but the USB drive does not appear in My Computer, Disk Management or anywhere else so I cannot view its contents. This happens with all four of the USB ports.

Obviously it shouldn't be the card reader that it is seeing but the memory stick. The machine will happily run a USB mouse.

In Device Manager there are no yellow question marks anywhere and under Universal Serial Bus controllers it has four USB Root Hubs, two pairs of Host Controllers, a USB Composite Device and a Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader.

I have tried removing the four USB Root Hubs but as fast as I delete them Windows puts them back again.

This is an Acer Aspire 5520 laptop running Vista Home Premium with SP1.

Any ideas how to fix this please? Apparently it used to be able to read a memory stick.

Speedy Gonzales
24-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Install SP2?

FoxyMX
24-02-2010, 10:22 PM
It's that simple?

Speedy Gonzales
24-02-2010, 10:29 PM
It MAY help, then update it with the rest of the updates. Umm does a driver appear in windows update for this??? It looks like this person had the same prob (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=d16c72e6-3d6e-4290-a2f2-c49bec2b0a25&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&m=1&p=1)
with the same card reader.

FoxyMX
25-02-2010, 09:49 AM
It MAY help, then update it with the rest of the updates. Umm does a driver appear in windows update for this???

Have downloaded umpteen million updates with Windows Update and no drivers related to the card reader was amongst them.

All that is left to download now is the .NET framework which I don't think is going to make any difference. The problem is still there.

bob_doe_nz
25-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Have you tried a different card reader? Or is it built into the notebook?

FoxyMX
25-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Have you tried a different card reader? Or is it built into the notebook?

It is the USB ports that I am referring to here. The PC labels them as a card reader whenever a memory stick is plugged in and won't read/display their contents. A mouse behaves normally however.

bob_doe_nz
25-02-2010, 02:55 PM
It is the USB ports that I am referring to here. The PC labels them as a card reader whenever a memory stick is plugged in and won't read/display their contents. A mouse behaves normally however.

Whoops. I was thinking of Sony's Propriety Memory Sticks.

PinoyKiw
25-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi Foxy. Is this a memory stick from a camera or just a data memory stick.

While not related as such, I had a memory card from a camera fail other day in the laptop via a USB reader and then failed to read in the camera as well.

Though I managed to recover everything off the memory card using a recovery program.

If there are photo's on your memory stick and it is from a camera, you might still be in luck and be able to recover them through other means.

FoxyMX
25-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi Foxy. Is this a memory stick from a camera or just a data memory stick.

It's a data memory stick. I can access the contents on other computers, just not on the Acer laptop. The ports are not working correctly.

The PC is fully updated now with no change in the situation.

Driftwood
25-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Well if it used to work ok, then something has happened to change its habbits.
Possibly some software has been added since then.
Maybe if you post a hijack log it might give some clues.

PENTIUM
26-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Are you running off battery? Low voltage may be the problem.

Jen
26-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Does the same happen if you try a different memory stick in the laptop?

If you have a live (reasonably recent) Linux CD, fire that up and see if detects the memory stick OK. That should help sort out whether it is OS or hardware related.

FoxyMX
27-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Are you running off battery? Low voltage may be the problem.

Running on power, not battery.

Does the same happen if you try a different memory stick in the laptop?

If you have a live (reasonably recent) Linux CD, fire that up and see if detects the memory stick OK. That should help sort out whether it is OS or hardware related.

Happens with all three of my memory sticks. The indications are that it is a Windows/driver problem, not hardware. Will try a Linux CD next time I visit to confirm.

Digby
28-02-2010, 11:33 AM
I had this a while ago.

I seem to remember having to get it to "install new hardware" to recognise the stick.