PDA

View Full Version : NT Server Mysteriously Shuts Down

11-08-2001, 01:09 PM
HELP! My NT 4.0 Server keeps shutting down at 8.30pm every night. Event viewer states that there was a utility power failure and the UPS commenses it shut down procedure??? This has only just started to happen and for the life of me I just can't find out why. Any suggestions???

Thanks

Gary

11-08-2001, 04:11 PM
hi Gary,
are you sure it's not simply performing as it should? What has changed in the building lately? One example I have heard of is a factory where a piece of machinery on a timer was turning on causing a spike which would trigger the UPS to shut down at 5.30am every day.... If there is nothing like this happening then examine the UPS' software settings to see if you can reduce it's sensitivity, or adjust the duration of failure before the shutdown commences.

11-08-2001, 05:43 PM
Have you tried running with out the ups at that time?

I'm really familiar with NT4, but I know it is full of security holes, and there are quite a few that would give an attacker the ability to shutdown the server, prehaps you've been '0wn3d'.

12-08-2001, 11:21 AM
I don't know which NT4 you're familiar with, everybody elses NT4 is secure.... (unless it's admined by a chimp)