PDA

View Full Version : Scam alert

waldok
24-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi everyone I'm not sure if this is the right spot to post this, it's not really asking for help but I think you will care.

This week I've seen a three reports of a new scam doing the rounds in NZ.

A company calls out of the blue claiming that your PC is infected with a virus. They might ask you to do a few things to make you think you're infected, like searching for information about Conficker.

They then say you need to pay them $250 (or some other random amount) to solve the problem.

I guess the advice to give people is be very sure who you are talking to before installing software or providing credit card details. Not many people here would be fooled but I've heard these guys are very pushy so I just hope no one gets burned.

The Ministry of Consumer Affairs has put up a warning about the scam on their site:
http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/scamwatch/protect-others/scam-media.html

If you're hearing about this scam it would be great if you could reply here or let the Ministry of Consumer Affairs know on their Scam Watch page.

cheers
W

gary67
24-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Interesting have sent it on to a few people I know

wainuitech
24-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Bring it on :banana I'm sure some here could baffle them with brilliance and technical questions - mind you they can be as pushy as they like - hanging up usually does wonders.

Reminds me of an old fried who was very religious - didn't preach etc except at his church, BUT one day he told me he had the Jehovah's Witnesses turn up on his door step -- He invited them in - he said they finally had enough and rudely left after he "had a talk" to them -- 4 hours later.

tut
24-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Had friend many years ago that did the same thing too. he was a Pastor in the A of G church. Great guy. Wish I knew where he was now.

linw
24-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Bugger, you've tumbled me..........