PDA

View Full Version : IP address behind a proxy

Chikara
24-02-2010, 03:05 AM
Hi all

Okay so I moved from NZ to Singapore in September for the next 18months for my work. My ISP here has all subscribers operating under one giant proxy, so all customers effective appear to have the same IP address. So that becomes a problem when I try to do any downloading, or accessing of sites that monitors concurrent transactions from a single IP.

For example, occasionally I get links for files that are hosted on Rapidshare. I can't download them (without subscribing to Rapidshare) because it keeps on saying my IP is already downloading something.
This is always going to be a problem, unless by pure fluke I attempt a download when no-one else with this ISP is downloading from Rapidshare!
(Not sure if this would also cause problems in the future either with online gaming, I haven't done that yet)

Anyway, leading to my question, is there any software, or website, that would allow hiding/redirecting of my IP, that would avoid this problem??

I don't really want to change ISP's, as apart from that, they are very good. Good speeds, never down, and no data cap :)
Unfortunately I didn't know about how they operate their IP's under a proxy when I signed up :annoyed:

BTW, it's a wired broadband connection via cable (Starhub) and I'm running Win 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Thanks in advance!

Erayd
24-02-2010, 07:55 AM
...is there any software, or website, that would allow hiding/redirecting of my IP, that would avoid this problem??

Not unless you are running your own private proxy on a real public IP - if you try to use a public proxy for this, or tunnel via tor, you'll have exactly the same problem - everybody else is using those too.

Your best bet is probably to sign up for a VPS somewhere and install squid on it.

Chikara
25-02-2010, 02:22 AM
Hmmm, sounds a bit beyond my knowledge, I'll have to read up some more on that.
Can you obtain VPS's for free anywhere that you're aware of?

Erayd
25-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Can you obtain VPS's for free anywhere that you're aware of?No. You can however get one fairly cheaply provided you don't need great specs.

Note that with a VPS you will need to maintain a complete server OS installation yourself. For what you'd need, that realistically means Linux.