PDA

View Full Version : Blank screen with graphics card

lp_faint43
23-02-2010, 11:48 PM
hi,

i am new to this forum as im sure you can see so if there is any info missing please tell me and ill try to fill it in.

i am having trouble getting my graphics card to work, it has worked in the past and has been stored away for about 2 months but have just pulled it out again. when i start the computer with the graphics card pluged in there is a blank screen and i cant do anything, when i pull the card out and start with the motherboard VGA it say "overclocking failed" even though im not trying to overclock it and gives me the options of "F1 to run setup" and "F2 to load default values and continue" but once i go past that all is fine again. restart the computer and i dont get the over clocking failed message its only after i pull out the card. i have flicked the CMOS battery out, updated BIOS, installed fresh copy of XP and im out of ideas

it is a AGP 7600GS graphics card
P5VDC-MX motherboard

any help would be great

thanks!

gary67
24-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Sounds like the card could be dead or not clipped in properly

pctek
24-02-2010, 08:49 AM
when i start the computer with the graphics card pluged in there is a blank screen and i cant do anything,

when i pull the card out and start with the motherboard VGA it say "overclocking failed"
any help would be great

Take a look at why it is saying that. Set the BIOS to defaults to make sure.
If it still complains and you have altered it, I would perhaps flash the BIOS.

As for the card, what is the BIOS setting for the onboard VGA? It maybe that it is expecting the built in graphics rather than the card.

lp_faint43
24-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Take a look at why it is saying that. Set the BIOS to defaults to make sure.
If it still complains and you have altered it, I would perhaps flash the BIOS.

As for the card, what is the BIOS setting for the onboard VGA? It maybe that it is expecting the built in graphics rather than the card.

i have set BIOS to default, played around, still the same thing no matter what.
i have tried to flash it too, i believe it worked but no change with the card. i can not find a setting for the on board card any where in the BIOS, i have a setting for primary graphcs adapter, and the only 2 are AGP and PCI

nedkelly
24-02-2010, 01:26 PM
try setting the primary graphics adapter to agp, save settings then put card back in and see what happens.

KarameaDave
24-02-2010, 01:32 PM
is the CMOS battery old?

lp_faint43
24-02-2010, 01:42 PM
it is always set to AGP, an i think i tried it beforem but ill try again

the CMOS battery would be old now, been the same one since i got the computer in 2006 i think it was

KarameaDave
24-02-2010, 02:12 PM
I would replace it then just to eliminate it from the equation.

Sweep
24-02-2010, 03:17 PM
After you re-installed XP did you install the chip set drivers for your motherboard. Did you install drivers for the graphics card?

lp_faint43
24-02-2010, 10:29 PM
After you re-installed XP did you install the chip set drivers for your motherboard. Did you install drivers for the graphics card?

originally no i didnt install chip set drivers just to see if it changed anything, but still didnt work, i then installed drivers and no change. i can not install the grapics card drivers because it requires it to be pluged in :(

nedkelly
24-02-2010, 10:33 PM
just looking over your first post and was wondering was it the computer or graphics card that was stored away?

lp_faint43
25-02-2010, 11:58 AM
just looking over your first post and was wondering was it the computer or graphics card that was stored away?

both where stored away together, it used to work same computer, same graphics card and i didnt take it out, few months later its not working anymore :(

Sweep
25-02-2010, 12:18 PM
As advised you should change the CMOS battery. Have you done that yet?

pctek
25-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Dead card then.

lp_faint43
25-02-2010, 01:22 PM
no i havent got a battery yet, where could i get one?

Sweep
25-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Most chemists or watchmakers will sell the battery. Flip the battery out and take it in for a replacement to ensure you get the correct voltage etc.

KarameaDave
25-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Supermarkets and shops like Dick Smiths have them as well.

Agent_24
25-02-2010, 01:49 PM
The "Overclocking failed" is amessage used when a board hangs up during POST, it does not always mean there was a failed overclock, as many things can cause a hang during POST.

What brand is the video card? probably it is faulty - do any of the capacitors look suspicious? They may have degraded in storage

lp_faint43
25-02-2010, 11:07 PM
The "Overclocking failed" is amessage used when a board hangs up during POST, it does not always mean there was a failed overclock, as many things can cause a hang during POST.

What brand is the video card? probably it is faulty - do any of the capacitors look suspicious? They may have degraded in storage

it is a Geforce 7600GS

other than being dusty everything appears to be fine to me

Agent_24
25-02-2010, 11:17 PM
it is a Geforce 7600GS

other than being dusty everything appears to be fine to me

That's just the model number of the GPU - who made the card?

Galaxy? XFX? Gigabyte? etc

lp_faint43
26-02-2010, 12:31 AM
That's just the model number of the GPU - who made the card?

Galaxy? XFX? Gigabyte? etc

Nvidia XFX

lp_faint43
26-02-2010, 01:35 PM
i put the new battery in and no change :badpc: