PDA

View Full Version : AMD Vs. Intel

icow
23-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi I can get a dual core Intel processor @ 2.93ghz for $212 NZ, but for a slightly higher price from the same place I can get an AMD Phenom II X4 Processor Black Edition 3.2GHz @ $280 NZD. Will the AMD out class the Intel? or is there a reason to the high Intel prices?
:2cents:

DeSade
23-02-2010, 09:46 PM
You will always pay more for Intel.
For my own personal opinion, I have had both AMD and Intel in my rigs and right now I think the i7 is the better architecture.

Blam
23-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Better how? Value wise? Speed?

icow: Depends highly on what you plan to do with the computer....

Are you talking about the Intel E7400?

qazwsxokmijn
23-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Value wise the AMD is best I think. I say 'I think' because I haven't read much on the performance of the new i3 and i5 CPUs.

However what you are comparing is a dual core Intel and a quad core AMD. What do you use your PC for? Because if it's not gaming/rendering and other CPU-intensive stuff, then a dual core is enough for you. If you intend to game, I would go for the Phenom II X4.

Speedy Gonzales
23-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Value and feature wise. Quite a few AMD mobos have more on them (like firewire) which is usually cheaper than an Intel mobo (if its got firewire on it)

Deimos
24-02-2010, 01:31 AM
If it is not much more I would go for the quad core, I don't think there is much doubt that Intel has a superiour product but the OP is asking between a dual core intel vs a quad core AMD, seriously, there is no contest, the AMD is definitely better value.

inphinity
24-02-2010, 08:05 AM
At the moment imo, AMD still offers better bang for buck in the lower and midrange sections (such as what the OP is looking at here), but as you get higher up the performance chain, it starts becoming Intel vs Intel and AMD are left for dead, sadly.

pctek
24-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Intel has always been more expensive.
In general the top Intels outperform the top AMDs lately. It was the other way round for a while.

However, you have to compare the equivalent to get a real performance comparison.

The AMD will be cheaper.

Therefore I'd buy a core i7.

Battleneter2
24-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Really the thread is better labeled dual core vs Quad core.

Depends on what your doing with the PC largely, but if you can afford it go for the AMD Quad, there are plenty of Apps and even a few games now benefit from Quad. You should also look at Intel I5 as a option.

As for Intel vs AMD, Intel really do have the performance lead in the upper middle to high end market, but you do pay for it. Having said that I remember the entry higher end CPU's costing $500+ 10 years ago , where now you can grab a I7 920/860 for around that price, you have to keep that in perspective.

SolMiester
24-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Better how? Value wise? Speed?

icow: Depends highly on what you plan to do with the computer....

Are you talking about the Intel E7400?

There is NO deigning that the Intel chips are the better processor, both in IPC and speed. As to value, that can also be classed as better as in time required to run certain applications, against cost.

So to answer your question, Intel are better in both value and speed.

Agent_24
24-02-2010, 11:36 AM
I bought a Phenom II 945 X4 for about $250

The fastest i7 is twice as fast (on benchmarks) but does it cost $500? No. It costs over $2000. If it was only twice the price I would consider it.

However as I said, these are only benchmarks. In real world applications that actually matter (Gaming!) the difference doesn't matter

I don't care if the i7 can 160FPS in one game when my Phenom II can only do 100FPS. I am not going to notice the difference at all... But I sure am going to notice the fact I didn't spend $1700 extra (which is more than the total cost of my upgrade!)

SolMiester
24-02-2010, 11:43 AM
However, if the Phemon takes twice as long to compile executeables, render graphics etc, the value comes into the time saved!

Agent_24
24-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Maybe, but compiling code is not the same as a synthetic benchmark.... Besides, I hardly do that anyway - and anything I do write is so small I doubt you would see a difference between either Phenom II, i7, or a 400Mhz Celeron.

SolMiester
24-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Maybe, but compiling code is not the same as a synthetic benchmark.... Besides, I hardly do that anyway - and anything I do write is so small I doubt you would see a difference between either Phenom II, i7, or a 400Mhz Celeron.

How about SQL data warehouse mining, sql scripting.....and think of all the graphic renderers out there, bet your bottom dollar they use the fastest CPU out there, because otherwise there boss is paying them to wait while the CPU renders.

Agent_24
24-02-2010, 12:55 PM
I didn't say the Phenom II was better for that, and I doubt the OP is going to buy it for that purpose. I was speaking more in terms of average desktop PC use.

People who are that worried about time for graphics rendering are probably going to use some kind of GPGPU setup with nVidia Tesla anyway

Battleneter2
24-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I7 and Phenom II are not really in the same market. AMD have had to go up against Core 2 and core 2 Quad with Phenom II, lets face it Phenom II is what Phenom I should have been, it was somewhat of a false start and they fell way behind Intel.

99% of games are still limited by the GPU at higher resolutions even on Phenom II no debate.

I do feel I7's are more responsive in everyday OS functions due to there huge bus which to me is a big deal, and we all know there amazing crunching ability for encoding and rendering etc. But sure you pay maybe $300-400 more for it over a similar spec Phenom II rig.

SolMiester
24-02-2010, 02:03 PM
I didn't say the Phenom II was better for that, and I doubt the OP is going to buy it for that purpose. I was speaking more in terms of average desktop PC use.

People who are that worried about time for graphics rendering are probably going to use some kind of GPGPU setup with nVidia Tesla anyway

Discussion has moved away from my point, the question was, which is better, gas(whatever) questioned better how, value or speed. My argument is both!

PENTIUM
24-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Whose is bigger than whose. Male crap stuff!

Nomad
24-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Depends what you need it for.

Even if price per performance is better on the Intel - let's assume, I dunno. If you don't need it why pay more. At home family just use webmail and the net, maybe MS Office and the printer. We don't get the best price per performance for that ...