PDA

View Full Version : Linksys: Gateway -v- Router

cjknight
23-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Hi all

My old, trusty Linksys WAG54G V1 is finally giving up the ghost and needs replacing ASAP. I will most probably stay with Linksys (seem to have a good rep), but wanting feedback on the latest models (ADSL2 etc). Use both wired and wireless connections.
(a) Looking for the most secure; and
(b) Want to know the difference between a router and a gateway ...
Many thanks
CJ

Speedy Gonzales
23-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Dont think there's any diff between a router and gateway. Some routers can be used as residential gateways. Like the Dlink modem/router here. The default gateway (since I use static ips), is the ip of the router to get on the net

Or the answer here (http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=248372)

All gateways are routers, but not all routers are gateways.

Routers "route" traffic from one network to another. They can be used to connect different IP ranges/segments of larger networks together. Commonly used in wide area networks, and larger networks with multiple IP ranges spread out...such as campus networks, large enterprise companies that are spread out across several buildings, etc. You may have a building where all the PCs are 10.50.1.xxx, and another building where all the PCs are 10.50.2.xxx, and another building where all the PCs are 10.50.3.xxx. Each building would have a router that connects the building to the central part of the network..where one big router takes connections from all the other buildings (like a star-hub layout)..and makes one big network out of it...and also gives everyone internet access.

Gateways usually refer to a router that performs the job of connecting the network to the internet. It's still a router, because it's connecting one network (the private network) to another network (the internet). When you talk about home grade broadband routers, or SOHO/SMB routers..they're usually running "gateway mode" by default. You can take many consumer grade routers and configure them into "router" mode..and use them in larger networks such as described in the above paragraph. In the web administration you'll commonly find a configuration section for this.

Some people will say there's no difference really between the terms. That it's 2x names for the same thing. I guess it's more due to the purpose. Home broadband routers are always gateways, but as you get into larger enterprise networks...not all routers are gateways.

Chilling_Silence
23-02-2010, 04:21 PM
No real difference between Router / Gateway, as Speedy said it's just interchanging the names.

If you want a good Linksys, go with the AM300, it's awesome as!
If you want Wireless built in, go with the NetComm NB6Plus4WN.

See here: http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/
Or, wait, and a few others who've tried my recommendation will agree that the NB6Plus4WN has been pretty darn solid ;)

SolMiester
23-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi all

My old, trusty Linksys WAG54G V1 is finally giving up the ghost and needs replacing ASAP. I will most probably stay with Linksys (seem to have a good rep), but wanting feedback on the latest models (ADSL2 etc). Use both wired and wireless connections.
(a) Looking for the most secure; and
(b) Want to know the difference between a router and a gateway ...
Many thanks
CJ

WOW, you have a working V1?, you must be the last person left?!..LOL, I had 2, then went to V2, that died, but have no regrets with V3 which is WAG200G.

Personally, I think the Linksys routers havent been the best really and even still the N router hasnt the best rep....

I have installed a few Netcomm and have to say they are great!

wratterus
23-02-2010, 04:47 PM
+1 again for the Netcomm, the AM300 is very good too.

Chilling_Silence
23-02-2010, 06:13 PM
:D

Blam
23-02-2010, 08:32 PM
AM300 is awesome for half bridging, and rock solid.

AM300+WL520GU/WRT54G=Geeks dream:p

cjknight
24-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all the info. Looking at NB6PLUS4Wn . However, reviews of the firewall aren't exactly glowing. Cheers, CJ

Chilling_Silence
24-02-2010, 04:44 PM
NAT is pretty bog-standard across all routers. One rarely does a better job than the other. I'd be interested to know what's wrong with it?