PDA

View Full Version : Monitor servicing

k8smum
23-02-2010, 12:23 PM
I have a Dell E207WFPc monitor which I am very happy with except for the fact that the on/off switch has given up on me. Is it possible to have such a fault repaired? Or, am I faced with having to consign it to the recycling bin?

Agent_24
23-02-2010, 12:54 PM
What do you mean that the switch has given up?

Is the switch itself physically broken, or does the monitor just not power on?

If the monitor simply won't turn on, the issue is probably more than a broken switch. Switches are very simply devices which last for a long time.

k8smum
23-02-2010, 02:22 PM
It is the switch itself which is faulty. It started playing up and needed to be depressed a number of times to turn it off and on. Finally, I finished up with a monitor that I was unable to turn off at all.

Agent_24
23-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Should be easy to fix then, either the button is broken or the solder has cracked, or the PCB has broken, something like that.

Just replace the button or resolder it

Paul.Cov
23-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah, you need to describe the signs and symptoms of the fault a bit more.

For example, we have a monitor at work where the power switch fails to do anything. Upon dismantling, it turns out a flimsy plastic rod from the rear of the switch is meant to poke the power switch, which is a couple of cm away from the button, and the plastic rod has broken off. In this case a bit of glue would be the remedy, or alternatively, leave the monitor switch in the On position, and use the wall switch for off/on.

Otherwise, if the switch is bad, yes, it can be replaced. The clumsy but easier method is to drill a hole through the wall of the monitor and fix a new switch, and wire it up, so you end up with 2 switches, one that works, and one that doesn't. Not pretty, but for a DIY person, it can be done for less than $5 of parts.

PENTIUM
23-02-2010, 06:15 PM
The advice you are being offered may result in a stuffed monitor. Take it to a reputable service centre that has someone who can repair LCD units.

Agent_24
23-02-2010, 07:02 PM
The advice you are being offered may result in a stuffed monitor. Take it to a reputable service centre that has someone who can repair LCD units.

Only if you don't know what you're doing.

There's nothing special about a power button on an LCD monitor (or any monitor, or anything for that matter)

IF it is the switch which is faulty (plausible given the description - though personally I would be leaning towards broken solder joints or PCB tracks, buttons rarely fail) it's not a hard fix.

Though it could be a fault in the underlying circuitry that the switch is connected to. Without a visual inspection of the switch, this is hard to say.

Anyone who knows how to use a soldering iron properly could replace a power button, or repair any cracked joints, they don't have to specialize in LCD monitors.

If this was the case, it would be a quick and cheap fix too. Any good serviceman will be able to do that for sure.

robjg63
24-02-2010, 11:48 AM
I believe this place may be of help for you.....
http://www.phillipselectronics.co.nz/

R
PS Its not related to the giant dutch outfit either!
PPS I dont work there but have used them a few times over the years.