PDA

View Full Version : Sky Programme Guide

Cptn Hotshot
22-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Why is it that so often when you hit the Sky programme guide on your remote that you get "listings temporarily unavailable"? Most frustrating.:groan:

kenj
22-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Because you have an old box which has beggar all memory to hold all the info... has to keep looking for it.

This was how the Sky tech guy explained it to me.

Complain, ask for a new box and tell them to go jump about paying a service charge.

Ken :banana

Cptn Hotshot
22-02-2010, 07:57 PM
An old box? It is one of those silver ones and was only installed 12 months ago to replace one of those old black ones.

So what (other than My Sky) replaces the silver box, if that is where the problem lies?

paulw
22-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Why is it that so often when you hit the Sky programme guide on your remote that you get "listings temporarily unavailable"? Most frustrating.:groan:

I get the same with "old silverbox" as well from time to time.. Real frustrating..

Trev
22-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Same here. My decoder is 2 years old.
:)

gary67
22-02-2010, 08:55 PM
ditch it and get freeview no problems then

Trev
22-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Got that as will.

wainuitech
22-02-2010, 10:24 PM
We got both Sky and telstra ( different rooms) the telstra was only upgraded late last year, they both lag in the program guide sometimes.

ubergeek85
22-02-2010, 10:24 PM
There are a few different models floating round. There's one or two models from Motorola, and AFAIK the rest are all Pace, including the small silver one and MySky.

I've never seen it happen on MySky, yet.

Have you tried unplugging the box?

jebby
22-02-2010, 10:35 PM
This is what I got from Sky when I complained about the program guide.

Please note that you must leave the decoder on a Sky Channel to get the EPG listings.
If it is left on TV1, TV2, TV6(Ch 16) TV7(Ch 97), MAORI, TE REO, PARLIAMENT or CUE EPG listings may not update. EPG listings come back if the decoder is on a SKY channel. It can take up to 60 mins for the
listings to come back.

Seems to work when it feels like it. :illogical

ubergeek85
22-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Hmmm, it shouldn't make a difference, AFAIK all the listing are delivered through OpenTV (which is proprietary, lol). The channels in question (well, all of them really) are 'wrapped' with the EPG data. All of it. Which is why it takes up to an hour to refresh the EPG.

GoodHour
23-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Sky's satellite broadcasts of TV1, 2, 3, 4 and Maori TV are separate from Freeview's. They should contain their EPG like any other Sky station.

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skynz.html

Gobe1
23-02-2010, 02:31 PM
There are a few different models floating round. There's one or two models from Motorola, and AFAIK the rest are all Pace, including the small silver one and MySky.

I've never seen it happen on MySky, yet.

Have you tried unplugging the box?

The ex has this upgraded last week and does the same as her old sky
you can view a few hours ahead and some times no listings available
Must be the set up

Trev
23-02-2010, 04:02 PM
You can always use the guide on the internet.

Cptn Hotshot
23-02-2010, 09:43 PM
It would be nice if someone who works for Sky and knows the ins and outs of the system can tell us why this sort of thing happens and why it cannot be corrected. If they can broadcast a programme 24/7 why cant the programme guide do the same.

PaulD
23-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Because you have an old box which has beggar all memory to hold all the info... has to keep looking for it.

This was how the Sky tech guy explained it to me.

Complain, ask for a new box and tell them to go jump about paying a service charge.

Ken :banana

That's what I once thought, that the original Pace 600 decoders were low on memory and later ones were faster. Last time I asked if a change of decoder would improve things the Sky CSR said they had quite a few later models and they were all slow. I suspect they've nobbled the standard decoder to push you towards MySky.

kenj
24-02-2010, 10:08 AM
That's what I once thought, that the original Pace 600 decoders were low on memory and later ones were faster. Last time I asked if a change of decoder would improve things the Sky CSR said they had quite a few later models and they were all slow. I suspect they've nobbled the standard decoder to push you towards MySky.

Sounds par for course. They did this to me and I ended up with a MySky unit. Funny how I had had Sky for 17 years and never had a pixelating problem until this unit was installed.... drove me nuts. Sky went through the reboot options etc. and then said they would send an installer round to fix it, but if it was my fault, I would have to pay the service call. I had only had the darn thing about 6 week, with problems all the time. I blew my top at that! That being one of the reasons I dumped Sky!

Ken