PDA

View Full Version : Sony VGN-CS laptop noises

Ollie
22-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Hello i have a Sony VGN-CS laptop that is making 'vroom' sounds like this in this vid
It happens randomly - idle and on load

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAPA5G8SgFM&feature=related
(35 secs)

I have changed the power option under 'hard disk' to never turn off and the sound has disappeared

Is my hard drive going slowly dying? should i back up my data and get it fixed (still have warranty with noel leeming)? How long does it take to get it fixed? I need it before a week

Ollie
22-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Bump

Driftwood
22-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Is that noise comming from the fan?

fred_fish
22-02-2010, 09:47 AM
You shouldn't have applied the 'boy racer' upgrade! :)

SolMiester
22-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Fan, fan fan!...easy fix mate, luck you, cant do much about the plastic exterior look though...eewww!

pctek
22-02-2010, 10:52 AM
I have changed the power option under 'hard disk' to never turn off and the sound has disappeared

Probably not, it's probably just it's powering up noise.
If you are concerned, check Event Viewer - under System. If the drive is starting to fail you'll see loads of disk errors there.

And you could also run a HDD diagnostic on it.

Ollie
22-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Probably not, it's probably just it's powering up noise.
If you are concerned, check Event Viewer - under System. If the drive is starting to fail you'll see loads of disk errors there.

And you could also run a HDD diagnostic on it.

I havn't changed any power settings and it didn't happen 6 months ago

SolMiester
22-02-2010, 11:17 AM
That noise is too tinny for a Hard drive, its the fan!

Ollie
22-02-2010, 11:52 AM
That noise is too tinny for a Hard drive, its the fan!

Haha that vid is a bad example sorryy, its more like a lawnmower sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9vHLwAbFxU&feature=related

Theres 37 pages on this issue, some people say its the fan, some say its the hard drive turning on and off? I did the hard drive power solution and it seemed to work?
There are also lots of vids on youtube about the same problem with the CS models

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=312303

Hope the fan is at fault and not the hjdd

SolMiester
22-02-2010, 12:54 PM
LOL, that is a wicked sound for a hard drive....I cant say I heard it before, it really does sound like a fan, but if you have got a hard drive that sounds like a fan, you are indeed in trouble.
Just a check though, its not a DVD in the optical?, and you have watched the LED light indicating HDD activity when that noise is made!
Time for a new drive, just put a SSD in there if you can afford it, better battery life!

pctek
22-02-2010, 02:24 PM
I havn't changed any power settings and it didn't happen 6 months ago

You misunderstand.
When the drive is set to idle, then it will power on when accessed - kind of like your optical drive does when you put a disk in it.
So I'm saying it's an activity noise rather than a death rattle.

You disabled the idle on the drive and the noise no longer happens, right? So it's not a failing drive noise then, if it was failing you'd still hear it.

SolMiester
22-02-2010, 02:50 PM
You misunderstand.
When the drive is set to idle, then it will power on when accessed - kind of like your optical drive does when you put a disk in it.

You disabled the idle on the drive and the noise no longer happens, right? So it's not a failing drive noise then, if it was failing you'd still hear it.

That doesnt make sense, on 1 hand you are saying its an activity noise, on the other you say disabling idle on the drive (so its now active period) and the noise no longer happens...??:waughh:

Ollie
22-02-2010, 04:24 PM
You misunderstand.

But the default on power saving mode is turn hard disk off after 20mins. It happens randomly e.g. a few times within 10s, once a min, sometimes longer etc. on idle or opening applications etc. If the setting was turn off after 5secs or something that would sound more reasonable. And i've only started hearing the noise a few days ago, so your telling me out of 6months of ownership i've only started using the hard disk?

Driftwood
22-02-2010, 04:42 PM
If you want know if it's the fan, turn the laptop over & see if it spins when the noise starts.