PDA

View Full Version : restore active desktop

hammer
22-02-2010, 10:15 AM
friends pc running xp had internet security 2010 virus... she may of fiddled with things before i got there i was busy on the day...and she just cant help herself.. poking in..

anyway sorted it... finally got internet connections running smoothly but cant get the active desktop running again...

when i go into properties for desktop, non of the options are highlighted...

cleaned the pc by manually removing virus then running....avira,trojan remover and malwarebytes.. so dont think i have any virus's still on it..but this virus changed a lot of settings...

have tried to do a system restore to a pre virus date but its not a happening thing either.

cheers

wainuitech
22-02-2010, 10:23 AM
You may have to run a repair install to repair the damage done to the system files.

Running a system restore wont do any good what so ever, Even to before the infection date, as it may have gotten into system restore and gone back for the ride, you may have very well reinfected it to a degree.

Run Spybot S&D through the system - it catches a Lot more than malwarebytes. You need to disable system restore as well in case it infects it.

Edited:
when i go into properties for desktop, non of the options are highlighted That can be a sign the infection is still there.

Speedy Gonzales
22-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Did you select all options under the utilities, in trojan remover as well?? This should reset everything

pctek
22-02-2010, 11:53 AM
friends pc running xp had internet security 2010 virus...
anyway sorted it... finally got internet connections running smoothly but cant get the active desktop running again...

It's still there then.
Do as Wainuitech has said plus run Hijackthis and post the log here for Speedy.

And clear all the restore points - they'll be infected too.