PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet to Parallel port printing

notechyet
20-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Hi
I just got my old printer fixed and like to coneect it to the network. Had a look in the past and it was not possible to get a printserver compatible with this machine over usb. Had forgotten that the Canon s6300 also has a Parallel Port. Is there any chance to connect the printer over Ethernet and Parallel Port? As it is an old printer(fixed with parts of another one) I do not want to spend to much on this. Just wonder what the possibility is?
Thanks

mikebartnz
20-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Unless it is a network printer you will need to connect it to a PC and network it from there and USB will be fine for that.

notechyet
20-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Unless it is a network printer you will need to connect it to a PC and network it from there and USB will be fine for that.
I was thinking of a Parallel Port Printer Server. Looks like an adaptor, see this (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=371918). Though not sure if something like that would the solution.
Just don't want to print over another machine.

fred_fish
20-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Yep, that will do it.

Nomad
20-02-2010, 10:03 PM
I have seen HP Jet Direct units, a laser printer may be parallel port only and you plug it in .. it converts it to RJ45 ......

mikebartnz
21-02-2010, 12:38 AM
I was thinking of a Parallel Port Printer Server. Looks like an adaptor, see this (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=371918). Though not sure if something like that would the solution.
Just don't want to print over another machine.
Looks good to me.

notechyet
21-02-2010, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the help.I'll try to find a unit cheap enough(to match the printer). If Im lucky the printer may still give a year or two of life.:thanks

Nomad
21-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Or it might be cheaper to pick up a 2nd hand printer on trademe or at a real auction. New laser printers are so cheap these days ... abeilt maybe without network port. But pull the year a few back and you can get them off from others who have retired them. They probably be built into the unit itself ... They may also have multiple paper trays, some of the more $$ ones may do A3 and double side (full duplex).

I mean a hundred bucks for a parallel port to network printer server ... :lol:
You could get a new laser not much more than that .. at times and I don't mean a Brother. You may also find a older printer has less RAM therefore it may struggle when decoding pages from the computer.

Or simply use peer to peer network.