PDA

View Full Version : Skype no Video

B.M.
20-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Stuffed again, this time getting Video to work on Skype. :rolleyes:

Ok, I purchased a driverless USB Webcam with Mic from Jaycars (Digitech QC3231) to fit on my old faithful Compaq EVO N600c running XP.

Installation of Skype went fine. (Iíve never had Skype on this laptop previously)

However, Skype canít find the Webcam Video. It finds the Mic no problem but no Video.

If I go to Control Panel Ė Cameras and Scanners there is the USB Webcam and itís working Fine. Device Manager shows no conflicts and as far as the Computer is concerned everything is fine.

Iíve uninstalled Skype and reinstalled it but no change.

Out of interest, I plugged the Webcam into a computer that already had Skype installed and everything worked perfectly.

So, in summery we know the Webcam works, but Skype on the Notebook canít find the Camera even though the XP default programmes can use it no problem.

What have I missed here guyís? :confused:

kjaada
20-02-2010, 07:45 PM
A while since I used Skype but pretty sure video needs to be turned on in
Options.You get to the menue bottom lh corner blue skype button.

lakewoodlady
20-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Broadband or dial-up?

LL

B.M.
20-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Sorry guys missed information.

1: Yes, you do have to turn Video on but this produces an "Unknown Error" message.

2: Broadband to ISP

What I can't understand is why I can see myself, take snapshots, all using XP's normal Generic programmes yet Skype cant see the Camera but can see the Sound which is incorporated in the Camera.

The problem seems to me to be an interface issue between Skype and the Camera. But having said that it must be remembered that XP see's the camera no problem, so I guess that points to a OS - Skype conflict.

But, then when it works fine on another XP system with Skype previously installed that theory looks vulnerable at best. :confused:

rebels181
20-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Some webcams only work with XP sp2.

linw
20-02-2010, 11:06 PM
So, on the options/video window where you get the unknown error, do you get a select video dropdown box above the black square?

With no webcam I get no dropdown box but with the cam attached I get a dropdown box with the webcam as an option. My default device is always my TV tuner and the 'unknown error' which is a damn nuisance as I always have to select my cam before using Skype.

If this is the problem, it explains why the cam works fine straight off in another machine.

B.M.
20-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks guy's.

Running SP2

And here is a screen shot.

No menu and clicking settings does nothing.:confused:

wainuitech
20-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Have you done everything in the Trouble shooting (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-troubleshoot-when-skype-has-no-video-windows/) - I remember once long ago, a person I was helping - the video wouldn't work for some strange reason until a contact was made - then it worked fine. Real strange.

Phil B
21-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Is your cam plugged directly in to the computer or through a usb hub. I've had problems in the past with things plugged into some hubs, they just don't like it. Plug the cam into a port directly on the computer box & try it. Or if it's already plugged in the comp box, try another port.

Driftwood
21-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Try it on MSN.

B.M.
21-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Thatís a real good site Wainui but unfortunately didnít solve the problem.

However, Iíve bookmarked it for future reference. :thumbs:

Iím absolutely certain there is nothing wrong with the Webcam / Computer relationship because I can see myself on screen and adjust the Size Ė Brightness Ė Contrast and the quality is quite acceptable.

It has to be the Skype / Computer Video Interface thatís the problem. However, even the message says ďUnknown ProblemĒ.

So, letís try Driftwoods idea.

My problem is Iíve never used MSN so havenít got a clue on how to install it even. :blush:

Iíll do some Googleing. ;)

B.M.
21-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Is your cam plugged directly in to the computer or through a usb hub. I've had problems in the past with things plugged into some hubs, they just don't like it. Plug the cam into a port directly on the computer box & try it. Or if it's already plugged in the comp box, try another port.

Yep it's plugged straight into the computer, no hub, and I've done as you suggest (swap ports) but no luck. Actually, swapping ports was one of the first things I did because I've seen it fix many problems in the past.

A good Idea but didn't work. :crying

rebels181
21-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Out of interest, I plugged the Webcam into a computer that already had Skype installed and everything worked perfectly.

So, in summery we know the Webcam works, but Skype on the Notebook canít find the Camera even though the XP default programmes can use it no problem.

What have I missed here guyís? :confused:

Are both computers running the latest version of Skype if not you might need to install an earlier version.

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=539501

Blam
21-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Do you have DirectX installed?(9.0C)

B.M.
21-02-2010, 04:42 PM
I thought you might have been onto it there Rebel but although the old system has been on that computer for a long time it seems to have updated to the latest version 4.1.0.179 so they are running the same version albeit one is a new installation and one an update.

Itís of small comfort to see Iím not the only one to experience this problem. :groan:

Yes Blam, both computers running Direct X 9.0c

Could there be something in the Function keys? I remember getting caught once when a touchpad stopped working and after much grief I found there was a Function Key that swapped between Touchpad and Mouse. :groan: :o

wainuitech
21-02-2010, 05:19 PM
bit of a long shot here - But from your original Post
I purchased a driverless USB Webcam with Mic from Jaycars (Digitech QC3231) Yet On Their Web Site (http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=QC3221) it says
The camera uses a VGA colour CMOS sensor with auto exposure and white balance to ensure the best picture under varying light conditions. Comes with software and connects via your computer's USB port. Did you install the actual software ?

Have you gone through window by window, setting by setting on both and compared if there is a differance somewhere ?

rumpty
21-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Could it be the old problem of Skype not seeing the webcam because "it is in use by another application"?

Blam
21-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Have you tried running Skype in Safe Mode with networking?

Might eleminate the possibility of it being used by another app, as noted by rumpty.

Blam

B.M.
21-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Good work guyís I just hope we can crack it. :thumbs:

Wainui: No, I hadnít installed any software but both computers recognise the camera and display a quite acceptable picture. Just not with Skype on the laptop.

Yes it came with bundled software but these are Smilies Ė Avatars Ė gimmick stuff, but nothing to suggest it is important and might include a Driver just for Skype.

So just to clarify things again, the camera works fine on both machines but canít be seen by Skype on the old Compaq Evo N600c.

Rumpty: Yes that comes up as a common source of the problem but I canít for the life of me think what programme may be hijacking the camera. Iíll try and do a screen capture of whatís running and see if someone else can spot the problem.

Blam: I never knew you could run Skype in Safe Mode so Iíll give it a try and be back.

:thanks all for your time and patience. :thumbs:

B.M.
21-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Here's Processes Running.

Just hope it can be read.

Phil B
21-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Try unplugging your printer\scanner. Maybe even disable the webcam that's built in to the laptop (if it's got one) log off & back on. When I first installed skype I had my MFC plugged in via usb & turned on. I had the same problem until I selected which device to use in the options/video menu on skype. Skype wanted to use the scanner

wainuitech
21-02-2010, 10:29 PM
As a test kill the following processes and see if it fixes the problem.

All the following will possibly have an effect on Video - from what I can see, the rest are standard processes:

Has the other working PC also got your Screen capture Software That could be causing the problem as well.
Image Cropper was originally designed to crop images for inclusion a in video production
Cropper.exe

CALMAIN.exe -- Part of Canon digital camera software

NclISrv, NclRSSrv,NclUSBSrv.exe - these are part of the nokia connectivity suite. ( it will also kill pcsuite.exe)

Check to see if the PC that works OK has these installed, if you cant kill the process's, disable in MSCONFIG/ Startup.

B.M.
22-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Just a quick update.

Phil: there is no Printer / Scanner / or built in Webcam on the old computer.

The reason I purchase the Webcam with Mic is solely to use on Skype, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. :(

The stupid thing is the Webcam works fine on everything, other than Skype on the Laptop.

Wainui: Both computers are running the same software and I've never had the slightest problem with any of them.

Anyway, better move along as didn't come on holiday to Aus to battle with computers. :D

nedkelly
22-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Just a thought maybe skype only likes webcams that use USB 2.0. I check the HP site and your laptop has 1.1 USB ports.

nedkelly
22-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Also what specs are the laptop?

B.M.
22-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Yes Ned that was one of my initial thoughts too but I dismissed it when I found the Camera worked good on all other programmes.

I figured if there was no conflict between the OS (XP Prof) and the Camera and any other programme it had to be Skype?

I do stand to be corrected though, and as you say the Evo doesnít have USB 2.0 controllers.

Sheís a 733MHz P111 with 768 Mem. And although that is low by todayís standards Iím sure Iíve seen Skype working on lesser computers.

If I get a chance, Iíll try another Webcam and see what happens.

Sheís a right little head scratcher at the moment. :thanks

can fix
22-02-2010, 07:48 PM
:stare: I have been using Skype for some time now, but the quility is questionable, some time it is good but often it is not, but you do need to set it up correctly at both ends,
I have been looking into what is around that could be better and I found it
it is a videophone that used broadband, where skype is mono this is digital.
check it out, look for the [edit] web site, I found cell phones and toll calling and this videophone, the prices are not bad ever, if you are interested I found all you need is a name and a number to add to the online form, use; [edited] and you should be sorted. it is worth a look.

nedkelly
22-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Please check that your computer hardware configuration supports video calls – recommended system requirements are a 1 GHz CPU, 512MB RAM, a video card with at least 16MB of memory and a 512/256kbit (down/up) broadband internet connection.

From Skype's support website