PDA

View Full Version : broadband internet - possible to get one without landline?

Jaesche
19-02-2010, 11:49 PM
hi everyone,

I am just wondering if there are any providers out there which supplies broadband internet, or high speed internet connections without the need of me getting a phone line?

failing that, are there any providers which do a cheap and reliable landlind + broadband combo? the cheapest i found seems to be xnet fusion. any suggestions/comments or do you know any other providers?

i live in Dunedin, Otago (i dont think i can get cable services in my area).

thanks in advance.

Speedy Gonzales
20-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Wireless, but its not that reliable

nate
20-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Naked DSL - you could try Orcon or Slingshot.

CYaBro
20-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Pretty sure for any of the naked dsl providers/plans you need to have a working phone line in the house first.
They can't put you to a naked dsl plan without a phone number.

zqwerty
20-02-2010, 01:09 AM
I have a Vodaphone wireless usb stick on loan from the place I work, costs about $80/month for 3gig cap, Telecom has a similar offer at twice the speed @8megs/sec. I find it is very good, fast and reliable even when it says link is poor or very poor, mostly works without problems slightly finicky but I am really impressed with it, much better than dial up.

I use it with my crappy Toshiba TE2000 laptop and it makes me feel as if I am really in the 21st Century lol. Can go anywhere with power, my battery isn't too good, and browse at high speed do big downloads and torrents really fast.

Nomad
20-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Xnet fusion is about $20 for the VOIP line and then the internet fee which I think is about $50 without data and $1/GB. That is full speed up and down stream.

However for the goal of saving money, if you don't need FS/FS, you could get a phoneline (pay the $45) and get maybe FS/256k and pay about the same isn't it ..... $45 + $32 isn't it + your usage.

Others I think are on a similar ballpark, but if not mistaken some of them don't give free local calls and things like that .....

There is wireless but in Dunedin it doesn't exist. I checked before in Dunedin CBD some months ago, cos some yrs ago I used to study in Dunedin. They AFAIK has no Woosh. Therefore only cellular ...

Go online and pop your address and check it ..... maybe it has changed.
There might be Telecom Wifi :confused: Again if not mistaken, I don't think Dunedin has that either.

If you are studying I think these days they do have a "free?" student Wifi service in very limited areas. Practically on campus grounds.

Jaesche
20-02-2010, 09:03 AM
morning everyone, thanks for the replies! :)

i was basically hoping that i do not have to connect a landline to get BB for economic reasons, as the cheapest landline plan i can get is for telstraclear - $37 :( and cheapest BB only packake is with xnet (river) at $39....so in total about the same price as the cheapest naked dsl package i guess.

any benefit in choosing one over the other?

pkm
20-02-2010, 09:04 AM
http://wic.co.nz/ourproducts.php -no data cap!
I dont know whether this is 802.11

3g is too expensive per gb for me to use much. However If I did get rid of my landline id consider a very low cap plan eg 500mb.

Nomad
20-02-2010, 09:19 AM
morning everyone, thanks for the replies! :)

i was basically hoping that i do not have to connect a landline to get BB for economic reasons, as the cheapest landline plan i can get is for telstraclear - $37 :( and cheapest BB only packake is with xnet (river) at $39....so in total about the same price as the cheapest naked dsl package i guess.

any benefit in choosing one over the other?

The reason we have not gone naked adsl is that there is only a $20 diff or $15 diff for outside the areas covered by Telstraclear phones.

Cos the phone is not dependent on the internet it is more reliable, the PC the router can be off and still make phone calls. If the internet crashes which is not uncommon with Xnet, I can still make and receive calls. In terms of getting cheap calling cards they are available at the asian grocery stores at maybe 2.5c to Asia or NZ per min excl any surcharges .......

The best I think is get Telstraclear cable internet - you cannot I know. Then just rely on mobile phone for the odd calls. Cos there is no $40-45 monthly fee, I think many people may make less calls than $40-45 a month on their mobile.

pctek
20-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Pretty sure for any of the naked dsl providers/plans you need to have a working phone line in the house first.
They can't put you to a naked dsl plan without a phone number.

You need a line but you don't need a phone number or have the line live.
The line becomes data only when you sign up.

Chilling_Silence
20-02-2010, 03:32 PM
pctek is right, you don't need to have a number associated with the line for them to use it for Naked DSL, but you must of course have the physical line in the first place. It can be a "disconnected" line though, that's still fine.

The connections are flaky with Xnet, that ISP never ceases to amaze me with how bad it is, but Purple+ with Orcon was *brilliant* for us before we switched to BigTime. I'd never go back to Xnet though...
Pricewise it's the same, you just get more data with Orcon (10GB more) on Naked DSL vs their Silver+ plan which includes a phone line.