View Full Version : How to flash BIOS ?

optusone
19-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi everyone !
Can anyone tell me how to flash the BIOS?The current Bios:

Bios Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Bios ID: 10/04/2002-8361-686B-6A6LMM4SC-00
Bios date:20021004
Bios vendor: Award Software International, Inc.
Bios version:6.00 PG
Bios size:262144
Chipset: VIA 82C3112 rev 0
SuperIO: VIA 686 rev 64 at pci 7
OEM Sign-on:W6378VMS V3.2 100402 16:28:43
Motherboard name:MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Motherboard model: MS-6378
Base manufacturer:MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
base product: MS-6378(VT8361)

Does anyone know where to get an update from and what program to use to flash ? Have a good day !

autechre
19-02-2010, 10:12 AM
You can download an updated BIOS here - though you will need to check if you have revision 3 of that board (check the picture on the site and you'll see ver 3 printed on the board):
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=283

Instructions on how to flash the BIOS are in the .zip/.exe file.
You need to copy the files to a bootable floppy disk, boot off it & run the updater.

Not sure why you'd want to flash such an old board now, unless you really need the additional CPU support or you're having issues.

Speedy Gonzales
19-02-2010, 10:14 AM
You go to the MSI site, then if you can find the model. Download the BIOS and the flash tool. And you'll need a floppy disk and floppies, (and make a system disk, so it'l boot). If it doesnt support booting from a USB flash drive

fred_fish
19-02-2010, 11:12 AM
If you don't have a good reason to do it, you shouldn't, just for the sake of having the latest version number.
If it goes badly, you will have a brand new paperweight. :)

pctek
19-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Rule One: Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Agent_24
19-02-2010, 03:39 PM
If you just want to update "for the hell of it" you should probably reconsider, unless you know you can recover from a bad flash (Note: I do this all the time :lol: However, I've got an EEPROM programmer if something goes wrong and I need to remove the chip and reprogram that way)

But if you actually need to update for a reason, it's quite a simple process.

Important: Make sure your PC is stable before flashing. If it locks up randomly it's not worth the risk. Make it stable first! By the same logic, you don't want a power cut to ruin your fun. If you have a UPS, use it.

1) Download the new BIOS update file, making sure it is the correct one for your board (and this is probably the most important part!!!)

2) It's usually in a ZIP or RAR archive, so you will need to extract it. You may also get a release note and a flashing tool with it (if it's from MSI, this is the most likely scenario)

Note: I personally don't like the flashing tools included. There are many variations depending on BIOS type and there are actually some versions of a certain utility floating around that are faulty.

For an old board like yours, I would recommend UNIFLASH. (http://www.rainbow-software.org/programs.html#UniFlash) It's much easier to use and works with any BIOS and almost every EEPROM (however, boards made recently use new EEPROMs which it does not support, so it's only useful for older boards now) :(

3) Create a bootable DOS floppy disk. I suggest using the "Driver free disk for BIOS flashing" from http://www.bootdisk.com/. You can do other methods with CD or USB but floppy is just plain easiest. Make sure your disk is in perfect working order. To do this, run a FULL format on it through the command line. If you get ANY error messages, or if the disk has any bad sectors, don't even try using it. Buy a brand new pack if you have to. It's not worth it if your flash is corrupted by a faulty disk.

4) Now that you have verified your floppy disk and formatted it, run the self-extracting file from bootdisk.com and write this to your disk.

5) Copy the new BIOS file and flash tool (or Uniflash, if you are using that) to your floppy disk, then reboot the PC and start from the disk.

6) Remember to backup your old BIOS first!!! Sometimes these old BIOSes are not available from the manufacturer anymore, and if you need to revert for any reason, you will need the backup!

7) Normally, you can just start the flashing tool and it will ask you what you want to do. First of all you want to save the backup so press the key for that option (Or if using UniFlash, navigate the menu to the option) and then type the filename you want to save it as. (BACKUP.BIN is usually a good choice)

8) Once you have saved your old BIOS, it's time to flash. Again, how you do this will vary from flasher but in Uniflash it's very easy, just use the menu and press enter. You will normally be asked to enter the name of or browse for the new BIOS file you wish to update to. Enter this and then run the update. The program will tell you when it has finished (will normally be less than 30 seconds)

9) Once flashing is done, turn the computer off and on again (or just reboot it) If you have successfully flashed, you will get the new BIOS and probably a message that your settings\time and date are wrong and be told to fix them. Enter the BIOS setup and set up the options to your liking. Save and exit. You're done!

Note: if your PC will not start after the BIOS upgrade, you may need to force clear of the settings. Find the BIOS clear jumper or remove the battery for a few minutes. (I have needed to do this on several Asus boards...)

optusone
19-02-2010, 11:58 PM
The reason I want to flash is I get a black screen just out of nowhere and the computer starts to boot.That happened sooo often now.I replaced the hard drive,put another version of XP on it(from another installation CD),did scans for bad sectors.....Voltage and temperature are o.k. Nothing helps.Thats why I think a BIOS flash could help.

Speedy Gonzales
20-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Does the BIOS update say it'll fix a black screen?? If it doesnt it probably wont help / fix it. It still boots doesnt it, and gets into windows?? The screen does go black after you reboot

Agent_24
20-02-2010, 06:32 AM
When do you get this black screen? What used to happen normally? Do you remember if anything changed before you started getting this black screen?

optusone
20-02-2010, 09:34 AM
One time it happened right in the middle of a CD burning process.Another time in the middle of a Skype call.Or when I visit the Internet.Just like that it starts from scratch,exactly the same when I turn the computer on.My old HDD was partitioned and once a error message came up saying the partition manager caused the problem.So eventually I replaced the 30GB HDD with a 160 GB one(I needed more space anyway,so it was the right time).I formatted the new HDD and put XP from a different installation CD on it. But still then I get crashes every now and then.Also Firefox crashes sometimes.I got Zonealarm and Avira installed.

fred_fish
20-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Could be RAM, power supply, motherboard, could even be as simple as a dodgy reset button, but it's almost certainly not your BIOS.
If your machine is shutting down randomly, you really don't want to be attempting a BIOS flash.