PDA

View Full Version : Will the probs never end? This time it's the laptop.

Tony
19-02-2010, 08:32 AM
In the last few days I have posted about file sharing issues and a failing mouse - now my laptop seems to have gone bung.

It is a (very) old IBM Thinkpad A21E. A couple of days ago it was working fine. Then yesterday it refused to power up. It is connected to mains power, and the mains power LED is illuminated. However when I press the power-on button, the LED goes out briefly, then comes on again, and nothing else happens.

I've tried taking the battery out and putting it back, but that made no difference. I've suspected for a while that the battery was failing, and I'm wondering if this is the final curtain. If the battery is dead, does that mean that it won't power up even if connected to the mains?

nedkelly
19-02-2010, 08:38 AM
it should work with no battery. I have a few laptops that dont have batteries that I run with on mains.

Tony
19-02-2010, 08:47 AM
I just removed the battery, and now the power LED is out even though it is mains connected, and still nothing happens when I press the button.

wainuitech
19-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Sounds a bit like its past its used by date - might be time for a New One.

Look at the funny side :p Things happen in 3's
sharing issues
Mouse Issues
laptop failing

So from now on should all be sweet, with no more problems. ;)

Speedy Gonzales
19-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Till this time next week :p

Tony
19-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Sounds a bit like its past its used by date - might be time for a New One.No doubt about that - it must be about 10 years old. I actually hardly ever use it these days; it is a relic from when I was in gainful employment. Which is why I'm not too fussed about it if it has died.

sharing issues
Mouse Issues
laptop failing

So from now on should all be sweet, with no more problems. ;)Yeah, right.

xmojo1
19-02-2010, 10:15 AM
A Blackberry or iPhone is probably more powerful and do more than your laptop, by the sound of things :P

gary67
19-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Yes but they cost more are hard to read because of the minuscule screen size, are overpriced and don't really have a real world use apart from the look at me i'm a mug who paid huge $'s for this crap. (rant over)

Morgenmuffel
19-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Sounds a bit like its past its used by date - might be time for a New One.

Don't even suggest that

I have had

1) Laptop die
2) desktop die
3) ????

Tony
20-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Look at the funny side Things happen in 3's

1. sharing issues
2. Mouse Issues
3. laptop failing

So from now on should all be sweet, with no more problems.
My response was "Yeah, right", and, what do you know - it now looks like one the disks in my Windows Home Server has died. Of course it is in a RAID stripe config with the other, so I've actually lost all the data - unless someone can suggest some magic recovery method. [sigh...]

nedkelly
20-02-2010, 07:48 AM
poor tony not a good month