PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - upgrade or full?

kettles
18-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Apologies if this has been asked before, as it most likely has. My laptop came with Windows Vista Home Premium, and I've been running Windows 7 RC and don't want to go back. I was wondering should I get the 7 upgrade or just go for the full release? If I buy the upgrade, is the money I'll save worth avoiding the hassle of reinstalling Vista first?

thanks!

wainuitech
18-02-2010, 06:14 PM
A complete fresh install is always better than a upgrade.

Places like Ascent (http://www.ascent.co.nz/search.aspx?T1=Windows+7+&D1=2101) - scroll down to Operating systems - will sell you OEM copies.
Of course you will need to install some drivers etc, as W7 wont pick them all up.

xmojo1
19-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Apologies if this has been asked before, as it most likely has. My laptop came with Windows Vista Home Premium, and I've been running Windows 7 RC and don't want to go back. I was wondering should I get the 7 upgrade or just go for the full release? If I buy the upgrade, is the money I'll save worth avoiding the hassle of reinstalling Vista first?

thanks!

Food for thought: I bought the retail (full) version of Windows 7 Ultimate off eBay for NZ$265, new and sealed, from an Australian seller. This is cheaper than even any OEM versions of Windows 7 that I could find listed on PriceSpy. Saved me $200 off the same product selling in NZ. And yes, it's a genuine Microsoft product, as I activated it with Microsoft.

pcuser42
19-02-2010, 03:53 PM
It is possible to do a clean install with upgrade media (by way of a double install), so whichever is cheaper is what you should get (unless you don't like the double install idea).

R.M.
19-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Ahhh- tell me more? :)

pcuser42
19-02-2010, 05:30 PM
See http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp - method 3 is the one I used for Vista.

R.M.
19-02-2010, 06:14 PM
To explain a little further - I have a Toshiba M300-900 laptop I bought last July with Vista OS. I then got an upgrade disc from Toshiba in about October which I used to upgrade to Windows 7 OS. It worked - took for ages to complete - about 7 hours from whoa to go.

However - the lappy now takes quite a while to boot up (didn't before with Vista) and I would prefer to partition C drive, have the OS and programmes there, and keep my data on a separate partition. Then I would use Acronis to make an image of the drive.

Can I do that now? With the upgrade disc I have? What do you think??

I now realise I have 'hijacked' this thread. :( Sorry.

pcuser42
19-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Yes. Partition the drive and set users/passwords in the first install, then upgrade. Basically it's upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 7.

R.M.
19-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Great - thanks for that... :)

wainuitech
19-02-2010, 08:17 PM
about 7 hours from whoa to go. In that amount of time you can completely reinstall from fresh (three times easily) install all programs & replace data, and it will run better than an upgrade.

A fresh install of W7 takes approx 20-30 minutes. Then the drivers & windows updates. Then add in what ever programs. (done two PC's today before lunch one after the other) and still had time to muck about.

Edited: all I have to do is transfer one persons data - about 30 GB.

kettles
20-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Ok, convinced to go for the full version, cheers lads! Now I just need to decide on 32 vs 64 bit. I have 4GB RAM, do I need 64 bit or not?

pcuser42
20-02-2010, 08:15 AM
32 bit can only use around 3GB, so if you want to use all 4GB, you need 64-bit. (That said, I'm planning to use 64-bit Windows 7, even though I only have 2GB RAM.)

wainuitech
20-02-2010, 10:59 AM
one other item to consider with 64 Bit - there are still a lot of devices that wont work, Eg: no drivers for 64bit.

Been to 3 different customers this week alone, that had older printers and other devices, and some programs, all running W7 64Bit - no go on 64bit - No drivers either.