PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Installation Error

Jaguar
18-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Good morning team,

I'm having some difficulty installing Windows 7. In fact, I haven't even started the installation! I've obtained my copy via download from MSDN. The file is an ISO. I'm hoping to install it onto my Dell Studio 1735 that runs Vista Ultimate.

I first tried burning the file to a DVD (at a low speed of 4x) but the error I get is, first:

"The application or DLL F:\Sources\SPWIZENG.DLL is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

Diskette! Straight after this I get greeted by:

"The file 'autorun.dll' could not be loaded or is corrupt. Setup cannot continue. Error code is [0xC1]"

I also tried mounting the ISO with Alcohol 120% but the same errors come up. Then I went and downloaded my second and final copy from MSDN on the desktop (interestingly there's a difference in file size of approx. 250MB) and tried burning (at a low speed) and mounting with Alcohol 120% with the same errors coming up in both cases.

What, oh what, do I do?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Speedy Gonzales
18-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Instead of tyring to mount it with something (since you probably have to do a clean install), download a program (cdburnerxp should do), that can burn the ISO. Then it may work. I doubt the ISO is 250 mb. Unless its something like starter edition

Jaguar
18-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Instead of tyring to mount it with something (since you probably have to do a clean install), download a program (cdburnerxp should do), that can burn the ISO. Then it may work. I doubt the ISO is 250 mb. Unless its something like starter edition

Thanks Speedy. I've already tried burning the ISO using Nero. I've burned both copies and both have the same error.

As for the 250MB, that's the difference in file size between the two copies. Sorry, I wasn't clear...

I've downloaded two copies of the ISO. One on my laptop, one on my desktop. I've mounted both copies (Alcohol 120%). I've burned both copies (Nero). The error messages come up with all four attempts.

Speedy Gonzales
18-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Try something else like cdburnerxp (www.cdburnerxp.se), or Imgburn (http://www.imgburn.com/)

pctek
18-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Can't you just borrow someone's CD?

Jaguar
18-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Imgburn on 1x gives the same errors. And if only my friends were useful enough to have the devil on disk! But you're right, all I need is anyone's copy of it. Hunt around I shall... but this error is mightily frustrating.

wainuitech
18-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Are you downloading Via microsofts down loader?

Had a similar problem once and the reason was I wasn't getting the full download if I used any other download method apart from the One MS recommended.

The actual sizes of the ISO are:

All 32 Bit versions, Basic, premium,Professional & ultimate - 2443,256KB

Enterprise - 2344,142KB

64 Bit Premium,Professional & ultimate - 3149,108KB

mzee
19-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Why not just buy a copy at your local computer store?
Unless you want a pirated version!