PDA

View Full Version : dual NIC's question

12steps
17-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Hi,

Quick question...Im wanting to run dual NIC's in my PC. 1 for gaming and 1 for data transfer running at the same time. One will be onboard and the other will be a PCIe card. What is involved in setting this up?

Cheers Pete

ronyville
17-02-2010, 05:05 PM
It's nothing hard, pop in the PCI card and install the drivers. You are good to go. If you are running Vista or Win7 than you might not need the drivers as Vista and Win7 come preloaded with most of the drivers.

fred_fish
17-02-2010, 05:29 PM
If they are going to be on the same subnet you will probably get complaints from NetBIOS (if you are using it, you don't specify an OS) about duplicate machine names.
There may be a workaround, I have set up multiple NetBIOS names on one interface but have never tried different ones on separate interfaces. It will depend on your OS in the end.
Otherwise, just unbind File & Printer sharing from one of them. (again, assuming windows)

12steps
18-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Yes Im going to be running win7 64bit

SolMiester
18-02-2010, 09:32 AM
err, how do you expect the O/S to use just 1 interface for data and 1 for gaming? Will they be attached to different switches\routers?

pkm
18-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Are you experiencing lag when transferring 100gB data while gaming?

Are you using a gigabit switch?

12steps
18-02-2010, 09:53 AM
err, how do you expect the O/S to use just 1 interface for data and 1 for gaming? Will they be attached to different switches\routers?

Yes thats what Im wanting to do, is it possible? One NIC for data, one NIC for gaming. This will be going through a gigabit switch at a LAN

SolMiester
18-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Yes thats what Im wanting to do, is it possible? One NIC for data, one NIC for gaming. This will be going through a gigabit switch at a LAN

I think you would need different subnets, otherwise the O/S will use the first device, ie NIC0, which means you will need a managed switch to create VLANs, 1 for each NIC.
You could put the internet connect on 1 VLAN, local network on the other.

EDIT- I just have to ask why you think you need 2 interfaces?, bandwidth shoulnt be an issue on a gigabyte interface, latency in due to internet connection

ronyville
18-02-2010, 11:05 AM

This might help. I have 2 Nics in my PC. Nic1 (wireless) connected to normal ADLS wireless router for net and gaming cos my ADSL router is sitting in the living room. Nic2 connected to my NAS box for file access which is sitting in my room. The reason for 2 connections was that I didnt want to leave my NAS box in the living room connected to the router. Nic1 gets its IP form the router but I have given a static IP to the Nic2 which is different from nic1 address.