PDA

View Full Version : Computer won't boot.

B.M.
17-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Any suggestions whatís happening here guys?

Ok, weíve got an elderly socket 478 computer with 512meg of RAM running Windows XP, that doesnít boot.

At power on the lights on all the drives (CD Ė DVD Ė FDD - HDD) flash, the power light on the CRT screen changes from orange to green the screen degausses and thatís where it all ends. (Screen Black Blank Nothing)

The only light on the computer is the power light and the light on the monitor remains green. Thatís it.

Now if you press the reset button things start all over again but this time we get the message about windows not loading and giving the choice of loading in Safe Mode Ė Normal Ė last known good configuration etc.

I you choose Last Known Good Configuration you are usually away and the computer works perfectly, however sometimes the Reset procedure has to be revisited.

Looking at Event viewer for this morning on initial boot there is an Error report Dhcp 1002.

When the Reset button was pressed we then came up with Error Service Central Manager 7000.

Choosing start using last known good configuration got things underway.

Looking back through the Event viewer records I note that the Service Central Manager 7000 is the most prevalent error but there is a big variety, with a DCOM error also being prevalent.

Iím starting to think RAM but thatís an uneducated guess. :blush:

Wonít do any harm checking it while I await sensible suggestions I guess.
:thanks

Speedy Gonzales
17-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Is this PC on a network?? If it is check their ip addresses. That 1002 DHCP error youre seeing may mean one or more ips are conflicting

Open a command prompt, and type ipconfig /release, then type ipconfig / renew

B.M.
17-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Ahhhh yes Speedy, there is a IEEE 802.11 b/g USB Adapter (no name) to D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router to Netgear ADSL Modem.

So do these load, or try and load before the Windows Splash Screen?:confused:

pctek
17-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Hmm, I's check the drive itself maybe. Event Viewer is only reporting what happens in WIndows, not on boot and if it doesn't boot there's a hardware problem of some kind.

B.M.
17-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Hmm, I's check the drive itself maybe. Event Viewer is only reporting what happens in WIndows, not on boot and if it doesn't boot there's a hardware problem of some kind.

Thatís what I was thinking.

We donít get Windows loaded, donít get as far as the splash screen even. If we do get as far as the Splash Screen weíre away.

Having said that the Error Reports in Event Viewer are at exactly the time the computer was trying to boot.

Anyway, Mem Test found nothing and Seagate Tools passed the HDD with flying colours.

Iíll disconnect the Network all together and see what happens.

All very confusing.

wainuitech
17-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Long shot - but check also the boot sequence in the BIOS, make sure its not trying to boot from a networked drive.

Safe listing is 1st Boot = optical, 2nd boot HDD

pctek
17-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Anyway, Mem Test found nothing and Seagate Tools passed the HDD with flying colours.

Seagate Tools is not always accurate. It's not that great at detecting controller failure for instnace. I had a drive that would intermittently be not found. Then it died completely shortly after.

wainuitech
17-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Seagate Tools is not always accurate. It's not that great at detecting controller failure for instnace. I had a drive that would intermittently be not found. Then it died completely shortly after. Yep - got one myself very similar - its been not booting, then locking up or very slow - looked at the eventvwr and says Disk errors (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Disk.JPG) all over the place, when it booted I ran seatools through it - said it was Ok, yet the error says the controller is failed. pulled off the sata cables, gave them a blow out and its been fine (so Far) all day. Not to sure if its the drive or the sata connection on the board ???

Just make sure you connections are all clean and firm, a lose connection can cause all sorts of problems as well.

B.M.
17-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Just a quick update.

The Boot order is Floppy - CD ROM - HDD - Other.

So that looks OK.

The computer is in use at the moment so I'll savage it again in the morning.

As it stands, there is nothing what-so-ever wrong with it once past the Boot stage. :confused:

B.M.
18-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Well hereís an update for those following this saga.

I turned the computer on this morning and sure enough our fault is back on.

So I figure Iíd better take a look inside and check connectors reseat the RAM, check for popped capacitors etc.

Once inside I find two sticks of RAM and I figure theyíd be 256Megís because the computer and MemTest reported 512meg.

Lo and behold the first one I pull out has 512meg clearly written on it! :eek: So, whatís the other one? Well it has 256meg clearly written on it.

So I replaced the 512meg stick and fired the computer up and sheís away first time.

Now Iím assured and I believe them that no body has added any RAM in recent times and the computer was working fine until a week or so ago so I guess either a RAM stick has failed or some conflict between the two sticks has occurred. :confused:

Anyway, Iíll run Memtest again on this stick then remove it and install the 256meg stick and run Memtest on it and see what happens there.

Iíll keep you posted but I think we might be onto it. :rolleyes:

B.M.
23-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Just to tidy this one up.

The 256meg stick of ram was faulty, which I guess was why it wasn't recognised but was quite capable of screwing things up.

So that's another little problem dealt with.

:thanks everyone.