PDA

View Full Version : HD media player? Asus O!Play or WDTV Live?

narutophantom
16-02-2010, 06:43 PM
I am currently trying to decide on which HD media player to buy, the WDTV live or the Asus O!Play. First off the WDTV live seems to be much popular than the Asus, the WDTV supports the use of 3rd party wifi dongles and the Asus supports e-sata (I have a USB/e-sata external HDD enclosure)

I have a lot of HD 1080p content so my quarrel is will the USB on the WDTV live play 1080p content smoothly and also, will wireless G stream 1080p smoothly?

The Asus is 229 and the WDTV live is 259, prices from ComputerLounge.

Also I have heard that the Asus O!play has some video issues it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could confirm this.

Ethernet is out of the question since I don't want cables running through the house.

Edit: And is the Windows 7 streaming problem with both of these (I think) fixed?
:thanks in advance.

CYaBro
16-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Doubt you'll get 1080p playing well over wireless G especially if others are using wireless at the same time.
I sometimes have problems playing SD content over a good wireless connection
Wireless N would probably be OK though.

Chilling_Silence
16-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah apparently the Win7 streaming issue is resolved.

Lets say your 1080p video is 8GB = 8192MB = 65536m/bits
Divide by say 24mbps (Semi-decent wifi connectino) and you get 2730 seconds, or 46 minutes.

I've streamed full HD video across wireless, but as mentioned if anybody else starts pushing it doing something else, it's not gonna be happy.

Otherwise, have a look here, I'm stoaked with mine:
http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/12/14/my-thoughts-on-the-wdtv-live/

BTW: USB2.0 = 480mbps. That's *way* more than enough for streaming Full HD video, considering we just figured we could transfer it over a 24mbps wireless connection. Your limiting factor will always be transferring the data *to* the box.

In fact I've transferred to one HDD at 100m/bit and still streamed Full HD video from the other HDD that's plugged into my WDTV Live (I've got two 1.5TB WD MyBooks plugged into the WDTV Live). No issues :)

Wheels
17-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I also have a WD-TV Live and love it. They have fixed the issue that the early firmware update caused but I still occassionally get a slight synch problem with .mkv files (which autocorrects after a couple of minutes).

I have an external 1TB drive connected directly to the drive and only use the wireless connection to get the files onto that drive (so the speed doesn't really matter). I've never had a problem running 1080p files through the USB connection and can even copy files onto the drive while watching HD videos.

A great 'toy' but I'm sure you'll be happy with either :)

narutophantom
17-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for your responses, it looks like I will be getting the WDTV live and connecting it to my 1TB external as Wheels has done.