PDA

View Full Version : Speaker noise and power fluctuations

Jewst
16-02-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm looking for some advice on electricity and speaker matters (hopefully before any permanent damage to my gaming rig).

Ive just moved into a new flat in dunedin and every time the washing machine goes through its cycle, i get noises coming through my speakers atleast every second. Apart from being annoying, it cant be good for my system. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?
My ideas so far are:
Power surges - buy a better surge protector
power dips - buy a ups (expensive :/)

whichever of those is causing it, they are only a temporary solution. if the house isnt wired properly and thats what is causing the washing machine to cause problems then the landlord will have to fix it.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks

coldot
16-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Unlikely to be a fault with house wiring. Usually it either works or doesn't work. But maybe the power point you usied is on the same circuit as the washing machine - especially if your power point backs on to the laundry. It's normal to have several power points off one circuit in a house. Can you try another power point on the other side of your room or even in another room? On a different circuit the noise may be less of a nuisance.
If there is a 'fault' it probably lies in the washing machine circuitry. They do place a heavy load on power supply and if there are contacts arcing that could be the cause your speaker noise. (Get the washing machine checked out.)

Billy T
16-02-2010, 10:01 PM
If the noises are pops and crackles then coldot is probably right, but if it is an F&P ECS machine it could be electronic noise from the motor drive, in which case the options are to get the machine repaired or use a line filter on your computer. It is not surges or sags, they are longer-term effects that don't make a noise.

I'd definitely try to run it off a different circuit to the WM, so turn off your computer first, plug a lamp into the WM power socket, then turn off breakers or pull fuses in turn until the lamp goes out. Then see if your computer still has power.

If it doesn't go, it is sharing the same circuit as the washing machine. Then, using an extension lead if necessary, find a socket that still has power (which means it does not share with the WM) and use that to power your computer. Restore power to the WM and run it through a cycle and see if you still get the noises. If you do then either there are suspect connections in the house wiring (is it an old house?) or the WM has a fault.

Of course the cheapest solution is to do your washing when you are not using your computer.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jewst
17-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the ideas, ive just tried it with an extension cord to every room in the house, i get the same noise through everything. I will ask the landlord to get the machine checked out and the wiring. Thanks again. If this info changes anything please post, il keep checking.