PDA

View Full Version : Secure wireless router

prefect
16-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I have decided to secure my wireless network have bought laptop before D-Link DSL-G604T router had no aerial.
got handbook decided to use WEP security option But I cant get it save the changes.
The box enable wep wireless wont tick also it comes up with message privacy type set to wep multiple ssid support will be disabled. It has option authentication open shared both.
Put in stupid hex pass word on first line for 64 bit
Do I have to have something on every line?
What an over complicated piece of **** router will smash it if I cant work it out.
Thanks for any help

inphinity
16-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Use WPA if you actually want it for security (though WPA2 would be much better, I don't think the 604T supports it), rather than just to stop neighbours whose laptops autoconnect to open networks.

If you really want to use WEP, for the 604T then

Authentication: Open
Select the first Key
Enter a 10, 26, or 58-character hexadecimal string, e.g. 48C23FA9BB0

Click Apply.

As the message says, the 604T doesn't support both Multiple SSID and WEP at once.

prefect
16-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks for reply did all that but changes wont take effect.
Went to wpa wtf do I do to fill out the page?
802.1 server ip added
port
secret
psk hex hex
psk string string

All of the above makes no sense to a diesel mechanic like me.
Thanks

nedkelly
16-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Hey i helped my mate with the same router. I had the same message pop up. Think if I remember right you have to apply and then reset the router, using the option in the web configuration agent.

prefect
16-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks for reply but what is web configuration agent?

kjaada
16-02-2010, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=inphinity;873242]Use WPA if you actually want it for security (though WPA2 would be much better, I don't think the 604T supports it), rather than just to stop neighbours whose laptops autoconnect to open networks.

Open your web browser and key 10.1.1.1 into the address bar
When prompted for user id and password, please key in
User name: admin
Password: admin
On the left panel, select Wireless
Please ensure Enable AP is ticked
To the right hand side of Security, select WPA
Select the Pre-Shared Key option and type in your wireless network key (minimum 8 characters) into PSK-String text box
Click Apply
Click on the Tools tab above
On the left hand side, please select System
Under the Save Settings and Reboot the System, click the Save and Reboot
Select OK to save and restart the modem

More information on how to setup your computer to a wireless network can be found at:

Speedy Gonzales
16-02-2010, 11:18 AM
The G604T (GEN II) supports WEP, WPA, and WPA2 (not WEP2). I've using one of these too. But in order to use WPA2, the adapters that are connecting to it must also support WPA2. And yup once you add whatever, you HAVE to click on apply, then reboot the router to save the settings (under tools / system). You open a browser and go into the config / 10.1.1.1

prefect
16-02-2010, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=inphinity;873242]Use WPA if you actually want it for security (though WPA2 would be much better, I don't think the 604T supports it), rather than just to stop neighbours whose laptops autoconnect to open networks.

Select the Pre-Shared Key option and type in your wireless network key (minimum 8 characters) into PSK-String text box
Click Apply

More information on how to setup your computer to a wireless network can be found at:

Cool thanks for guide.
Got as far as 4. it wont let me tick the box enable AP.

Thanks

prefect
16-02-2010, 03:43 PM
I rebooted( pulled power supply) the stupid router and can get past step 4 thought I was on a good thing . Now under the save settings on step 10 click save and reboot nothing happens.
What a frustrating heap of **** router.
Its on last warning before I smash it with a hammer.

Speedy Gonzales
16-02-2010, 03:47 PM
No no no. You DONT pull the plug to reboot the router. It WONT save anything you've put in it. You click on apply AFTER you put whatever in. Then go to tools / system and click on save and reboot. It may PAY to read the manual, before you ATTEMPT to use it. No wonder youre not getting anywhere. If you pull the plug, you'll have to start all over again

Zippity
16-02-2010, 03:50 PM
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

prefect
16-02-2010, 05:12 PM
No no no. You DONT pull the plug to reboot the router. It WONT save anything you've put in it. You click on apply AFTER you put whatever in. Then go to tools / system and click on save and reboot. It may PAY to read the manual, before you ATTEMPT to use it. No wonder youre not getting anywhere. If you pull the plug, you'll have to start all over again

Click on save and reboot nothing happens christ its gunna get the hammer and driven over with my service truck then smashed into a concrete wall
Thanks for help

prefect
16-02-2010, 05:14 PM
I had another thought Agent 24 collects failed electronic stuff maybe he wants it

prefect
16-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Nah more fun giving it the bash

Grampsey
16-02-2010, 05:27 PM
I have just secured mine with WPA-PSK and have the step by step instructions in a pdf file if it helps but how do I send it to you ?????

Speedy Gonzales
16-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Update the firmware on it, that may help. If you dont want it send it here. How do you know it did nothing? Did you log out of the router then go back in. To see what you entered was still there? If you've still got it, get teamviewer. And I'll do it

prefect
17-02-2010, 03:19 PM
I think I might know what the problem is, not sure what to do though.
I bought router from TM about 3 years ago and the wireless network key may have been set by the previous owner.
Will pushing the reset button with a pen work or is the key still saved?
thanks

kjaada
17-02-2010, 03:31 PM
A new key is required after a reset.Also you may find more like a straightened paper clip is required instead of a pen to reset.

Speedy Gonzales
17-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Dont forget to reconfigure it after you reset it. Or you wont get on the net

decibel
17-02-2010, 09:03 PM
The wireless network key is visible in plain-text if you log on via an ethernet port.

Pushing the reset button is only necessary to restore the router logon to admin/admin.

If it you makes you any happier, you are not the only person to have exactly the same problem. I suggest you give it to someone who needs a 4-port ADSL router without the wi-fi.

prefect
17-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks decible how do I log on via an ethernet port?
Once I get the key I am away laughing arent I?
Hopes like ****.

Speedy Gonzales
17-02-2010, 10:55 PM
connect it to a pc with ethernet cable

prefect
18-02-2010, 08:50 AM
I got two computers connected to it by ethernet cable how do I get the key if one has been used before I got it.
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
18-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Youre talking about the key for wireless right? Just change it in the router and on whatever PC's that have wireless on them

prefect
18-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Yes but after inputting a key used fffff11111 when I click save and reboot nothing happens I wondered if the previous owner had put in a key I have used it for over 3 years with the aerial off but now got a new lappy.

Speedy Gonzales
18-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Well it probably wont help if the aerial is still off. No wonder wireless doesnt work

prefect
18-02-2010, 10:01 AM
The wireless works fine always has I just cant make connection secure, put the aerial back on when I got new laptop but I cant get it secure because when I go save and reboot after inputting a key used fffff11111 nothing happens.
Though last owner might have had it secured and the key is still active.

Speedy Gonzales
18-02-2010, 10:12 AM
So, what are you talking about? The laptop or the router thats got the key?. If the laptop look and delete the old key. Then recreate another. Umm no I dont think the key is visible in the router even with ethernet. Well it isnt here. It shows dots, when you put one in. And what version of windows are we talking about anyway? None of your posts what the versions are. If XP, is SP3 installed?

prefect
18-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Yep XP with sp3. The router needs a hex key whatever that is to secure WPA applied according to instructions in the psk stringbox text.
I input a key click save and reboot nothing happens

Speedy Gonzales
18-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Did you click on APPLY first before saving and rebooting the router? If 2 are connected with ethernet, how many have wireless, ie wireless enabled on them, and have you run the wireless wizard on them?

prefect
18-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Yep clicked apply.
2 desktops connected by ethernet cable they dont have any wireless cards in them.
One lappy going sweet on wireless but cant secure it following these instructions
Click Apply

On step 11 nothing happens when I click save and reboot there is no ok button press save button at top nothing happens either.
Looks like its out chequebook call Night Owl computers. She normally fixes things that stump pressf1 forum in less than a minute.

Speedy Gonzales
18-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Get teamviewer. And I'll see what you've done

prefect
18-02-2010, 11:09 AM
I have followed instructions to the letter but it wont save and reboot. Already rung computer lady she is coming tomorrow.

Speedy Gonzales
18-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Try this then (ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-G604T-GenII_NZ/REV_C/SetupGuides/How_to_Secure_Wireless.pdf) direct link to a PDF file

prefect
18-02-2010, 11:21 AM
I think the problem is the previous owner has inputted a key now unknown.

kjaada
18-02-2010, 11:48 AM
It will not matter if the previous owner "inputted" a key
if you have done the "paperclip up the hole" right.Once that is done everything is set to "as it came from factory" I can not remember the sequence but
it is something like "poke the paperclip in and switch off"
When you restart you are back to factory settings.

Speedy Gonzales
18-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Correct its got a reset button and it'll reset everything in the router. Which is why you have to reconfigure it after. And the save and reboot must be working. Otherwise you wouldnt be getting onto the net with it. Because you would have to re-enter your ISP details in it then save then reboot.