PDA

View Full Version : Linux OS Editing

icow
15-02-2010, 06:52 PM
I saw verious distributions of ubuntu (UserOS, Kubuntu and so on) and Iwas woundering how to make/edit and release your(my) own distro. P.S please don't tell me that I need to know C++ or Assembly, or even that it's hard and I should never try it (I kind of figured all this out by doing a quick google search). All I want is a half descent guide on how to do that.

Cato
15-02-2010, 06:55 PM
If you need to ask...

razzarphenix
15-02-2010, 07:12 PM
google roll your own linux distro

GameJunkie
15-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Linux OS editing (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=roll+your+own+linux)

Chilling_Silence
15-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Try something like Gentoo + Slax Live Tools

pkm
16-02-2010, 07:30 AM
I think tuxradar mentioned something like this online.

kjaada
16-02-2010, 10:39 AM
I would think the best starting point would be Puppy Linux:105MB download
then if you leave the CD open when you burn the .iso you can add apps etc
and play around.I have my own Puppy now with Skype Firefox Thunderbird
Gimp and a few odds and ends and it is 200MB on a live CD and also it is my only OS on my desktop and Laptop.
23 seconds start up on my desktop.

icow
16-02-2010, 04:54 PM
I would think the best starting point would be Puppy Linux:105MB download
then if you leave the CD open when you burn the .iso you can add apps etc
and play around.I have my own Puppy now with Skype Firefox Thunderbird
Gimp and a few odds and ends and it is 200MB on a live CD and also it is my only OS on my desktop and Laptop.
23 seconds start up on my desktop.

I did so and only got these files: boot.cat, boot.msg, help.msg, isolinux.bin, isolinux.cfg, logo.16 and vmlinuz. I tired opening the .bin and only got a duplicate of the file and nothing else will open. How do I edit it?
p.s what OS where you using?

kjaada
16-02-2010, 06:07 PM
I was using Ubuntu before settling on Puppy as it does everything I want and
is so quick to load.
Did you burn the .iso file to CD then boot from the CD ?

icow
16-02-2010, 06:23 PM
No I didn't boot from the disk I just burnt the disk and looked inside it. If I boot from the disk how do I add programs and files etc so they are stil there when I redistribute the disk?

Erayd
16-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Out of interest, what's your intended goal here? Are you just trying to make a customised livecd for your own use, or are you trying to create a public derivation of another distro, or are you trying to create your own public distro from scratch?

I did so and only got these files: boot.cat, boot.msg, help.msg, isolinux.bin, isolinux.cfg, logo.16 and vmlinuz. I tired opening the .bin and only got a duplicate of the file and nothing else will open. How do I edit it?I'm not familiar with the exact system you're trying to mess with here, but based on those filenames I'd say you burned things just fine, and you're looking at the following:
isolinux.bin: This is the CD bootloader. It loads the kernel, and executes it.
isolinux.cfg: This is the config file for isolinux. You can use it to do thing like change which kernel is loaded, add fancy menus etc to the boot process, etc etc. Can be opened in more or less any text editor.
logo.16: This is likely to be some kind of graphic used by isolinux, possibly as the bootloader background.
boot.msg & help.msg: Likely to be the textual content of some of the bootloader screens.
boot.cat: Not sure what this is, likely to be yet another daisy-chained isolinux config file.
vmlinux: This is the actual linux kernel; the 'OS' proper. Isolinux executes this. It may also contain an embedded initramfs. An initramfs is a small, compressed filesystem that usually contains just enough to mount the main system and transfer control to the 'real' init system. In this case, that is likely to mean any extra hardware detection required, and mounting the main system image.
Note that the above list does *not* contain the main system image anywhere - you'll need to keep hunting for that.

icow
16-02-2010, 07:01 PM
I just wanted to make my own distribution for personal use, I decided that I wanted to do so own day. I would prefer to do it with minimal coding and just changw the boot screen pre-installed software and appearance of the distro them re-burn to a CD (something like UserOS).

icow
16-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Heres a link to the picture (not being a traitor to pc world NZ).
http://darrenyates.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/ex-shot1.jpg

Erayd
16-02-2010, 07:07 PM
I just wanted to make my own distribution for personal use, I decided that I wanted to do so own day. I would prefer to do it with minimal coding and just changw the boot screen pre-installed software and appearance of the distro them re-burn to a CD (something like UserOS).Gotcha. That being the case.... do you want your end result to be a livecd or an installed system? It has a big impact on what you should be choosing as a 'starting point' distro.

Chilling_Silence
16-02-2010, 08:54 PM
I did that back in the day with Gentoo and Slack Linux-Live tools. Could probably fine it back in the posts on PF1 here in 2004 if you look hard enough ;)

There's *many* ways you could do it. You could build your own from scratch with Gentoo or Debian, or modify something like Slax, DSL or whatever ... The choice is yours :)

Catweazle
17-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Probably a bit obvious but (assuming you have a ubuntu-based distro currently) have you looked into using remastersys?

Basically, you customise your distro to how you want it to be then remaster it to cd, dvd, whatever.

This (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/remastersys) is a good walkthrough of how to do it.

You can run your new distro as a live disk or install as per normal live disk.

kjaada
17-02-2010, 02:10 PM
No I didn't boot from the disk I just burnt the disk and looked inside it. If I boot from the disk how do I add programs and files etc so they are still there when I redistribute the disk?

You boot from the CD (must be left open when you burnt it)Then "play"
and each time you save the new setup you have done,that setup is saved.
Each time you alter the OS it will be saved until you get what you think you want.(but you will find later it was not quite what you wanted).After each save the next boot up will take a bit longer as it loads all the saved
folders.Once you have what you want then load it on to yr HD and it will boot in a flash.You can then write this to a new CD and you have yr own
version of Puppy linux.I have not bothered to load mine on to a CD as I
just want it for my own use and there are heaps of altered versions going round depending on what is wanted.I just put my "finished version on each of the puters I use and kept the finished CD for emergency use.

icow
17-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Probably a bit obvious but (assuming you have a ubuntu-based distro currently) have you looked into using remastersys?

Basically, you customise your distro to how you want it to be then remaster it to cd, dvd, whatever.

This (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/remastersys) is a good walkthrough of how to do it.

You can run your new distro as a live disk or install as per normal live disk.
Thanks, but when it says it can't do GDM does that mean if I change it it be changed on the new .iso?

Erayd
17-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks, but when it says it can't do GDM does that mean if I change it it be changed on the new .iso?
It means you'll have to manually tweak it.

icow
17-02-2010, 06:36 PM
It means you'll have to manually tweak it.
so as long as i edit it myself it should be fine?

Erayd
17-02-2010, 07:26 PM
so as long as i edit it myself it should be fine?
Provided you edit it correctly, yes.