PDA

View Full Version : Video Editing Software

KenESmith
14-02-2010, 06:42 PM
I have just splurged AUD2,000 on a Sony HandyCam HDR - XR520VE HDD Digital Video Camera, it came with a 30day trial copy of Movie Studio - one is obviously expected to buy one's own software.

Could any knowledgable members advise which is the best and most user friendly software to buy to handle editing one's own movie recordings.

Metla
14-02-2010, 06:57 PM
If Adobe Premiere Elements supports the recording format of your camera then that is where I would start.

edit

AVCHD support was added in version 7.

KarameaDave
14-02-2010, 07:03 PM
On a Mac...Final Cut Pro
On Windows...Adobe Premiere Pro
these are industry standard applications and are priced accordingly (read expensive)
Both are well documented and therefore 'easy to use'....wanders off muttering.

If you have windows you could try the built in Windows Movie Maker

If you are prepared to wait VLC player are bringing out a movie editor.
http://vlmc.org/

Sony have their own one too don't they?

+1 for Metlas' suggestion.

kahawai chaser
14-02-2010, 07:15 PM
There are some simple online editors like video spin (http://www.videospin.com/Redesign/), video thang (http://www.videothang.com/) and relatively new animoto (http://animoto.com/). I use to play around with Wax (http://www.debugmode.com/wax/) which has 2D/3D and advanced features.

Speedy Gonzales
14-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Altho whatever you install (if its for windows), if you use 32 / 64 bit, the file will have to be 3GB or under (its a limitation of 32 bit programs).

Otherwise, you'll have probs. You'll have to use 64 bit windows and a 64 bit program

Metla
14-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Altho whatever you install (if its for windows), if you use 32 / 64 bit, the file will have to be 3GB or under (its a limitation of 32 bit programs).

Otherwise, you'll have probs. You'll have to use 64 bit windows and a 64 bit program

I have a few over 5GB......

plod
14-02-2010, 08:31 PM

So are you saying a 32bit windows program can't handle a file over 3GB
?

Bobh
14-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Why not give Microsoft's Movie Maker a try. It's free and easy to use. It now comes with Windows Live as a download.

I started off with Microsoft Movie Maker. It is great for beginners.

I now use Serif MoviePlus X3. I found MoviePlus hard to get used to but once you learn it is a great program.

autechre
15-02-2010, 10:30 AM
I've used Sony Vegas for editing a few HD clips. Followed a few tutorials they had on their site & had some clips done in no time :)

Agent_24
15-02-2010, 10:30 AM
I have just splurged AUD2,000 on a Sony HandyCam HDR - XR520VE HDD Digital Video Camera, it came with a 30day trial copy of Movie Studio - one is obviously expected to buy one's own software.

Could any knowledgable members advise which is the best and most user friendly software to buy to handle editing one's own movie recordings.

What a ripoff. My $60 DVD writer came with a full copy of Ulead Movie Studio.

Agent_24
15-02-2010, 10:33 AM
So are you saying a 32bit windows program can't handle a file over 3GB
?

That doesn't seem right... I have many files (typically ISO or RAR) that are well over 3GB, used on 32-bit systems for years. Nothing has had a problem yet...

bob_doe_nz
15-02-2010, 10:42 AM
I think Speedy meant partitions in Fat32 versus NTFS

Speedy Gonzales
15-02-2010, 10:49 AM
I dont know about rar or zipped files, but it will probably apply to video files. I found this out once. Running 64 bit, with a 32 bit program. The file loaded OK. But, try editing it if its over 3 GB. Once you get to the end of the file youre editing, the program if its 32 bit will close on you. Nope it has nothing to do with NTFS vs FAT. My hdd is formatted in NTFS. Its to do with what 32 bit programs can handle. It probably doesnt affect ISO's either. I've got 2-3 files over 3 GB, and it doesnt affect them either

Agent_24
15-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Did you try the same program on a 32-Bit OS? Which program was it?

Could the video format itself have caused some strange issue?

Speedy Gonzales
15-02-2010, 11:40 AM
I also read this in a computer mag (that 32 bit programs have a 3 GB limit). Altho it didnt SAY what kind of programs / or formats. Obviously ISO's arent affected. Umm, nope, only installed it on 64 bit. The program was umm, videostudio , I think.. It was a while ago, when I installed it. I think the format I loaded was MP4. It loaded fine. It was after I had cut out whatever and when I got to the end of the video, the program closed

Metla
15-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Sounds like an abnormality to me, I frequently work with multiple video files over 3GB.

Agent_24
15-02-2010, 12:30 PM

What do you want to do with it?

If you just want to cut pieces out, add some transition effects and maybe subtitles etc there are many programs which will do these basic tasks.

Windows Movie Maker will do these and more, but as far as I know limits it only to WMV format which is pretty useless.

The only other program I have really used is NeroVision, which is pretty much the same as Windows Movie Maker feature wise, but will let you save your video as other formats and not exclusively WMV.

fred_fish
15-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Sounds like an abnormality to me, I frequently work with multiple video files over 3GB.
The limit is to do with addressable memory rather than file IO.

I wouldn't expect that a consumer-grade video editing prog would load the ENTIRE file into RAM but some more advanced tools may have that option, and would require 64bit support to do over 3-4GB.

A FAT32 filesystem has a 4GB file size limit b/c, as the name suggests, it uses a 32 bit File Allocation Table.

Krad
15-02-2010, 04:55 PM

Hi

I've use Windows Moviemaker for years with SD video and been pleased with the results. I also tried out the usual suspects - Adobe, Pinnacle, Ulead, VideoPad - on a trial basis. Then when I bought a HD camcorder (Canon) I found most of those mentioned would not print HD easily back to tape for archiving. So I trialled Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 and it was brilliant so I bought it and am completely satisfied with its professional features. 'Nuff said.

Roger Hunt
15-02-2010, 06:41 PM
I would look here http://forums.afterdawn.com/