PDA

View Full Version : ESET NOD32

Pato
14-02-2010, 04:02 PM
I have nod32 installed on two computers and I thought it was the best available.
The February issue of NZ PC World has a review of Antivirus programs and it doesn't even rate in the top five programs. It is all very confusing!!

Sweep
14-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Just take reviews with a grain of salt. Or even the whole shaker full.

CYaBro
14-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Let me guess, norton was no 1?

wainuitech
14-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Lab Reviews :lol: In the the Feb issue of PCWorld the "best was gdata" ;)

Take a look at This thread I started (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=106859&page=5) some comparison results, ( including the so called #1 ) and Nod32. Post 42 onwards -post 62 is the so called "best" - then jump to 74

Terry Porritt
14-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Yet another reason I no longer buy NZ PC World. You would at least think that "they" would read PF1 to get an inkling of what happens in the real world.

Pato
14-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Let me guess, norton was no 1?LOL. No. #2

wainuitech
14-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Trouble is NZ PCworld doesn't do the tests, they get articles from other places, may change a few words about and put it in NZ PCworld. ( same as other Mags)

Example: A article in November 2009 (http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/112409-advanced.html) - Now the Article in PCworld November 09 (http://www.pcworld.com/article/182539/advanced_antivirus.html) - then have a look at the article in the February 2010 NZ PCworld Mag ;)

Pato
14-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Trouble is NZ PCworld doesn't do the tests, they get articles from other places, may change a few words about and put it in NZ PCworld. ( same as other Mags)

Example: A article in November 2009 (http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/112409-advanced.html) - Now the Article in PCworld November 09 (http://www.pcworld.com/article/182539/advanced_antivirus.html) - then have a look at the article in the February 2010 NZ PCworld Mag ;)That is interesting. I got the impression that they did the tests themselves.

wainuitech
14-02-2010, 05:58 PM
On the original article and in the NZ PCworld its by; Erik Larkin, PC World; testing by Andreas Marx.

So NZ PCworld may be related to the original PCWorld, but its not done in good ol NZ.

I've seen a few other articles on various subjects in other Aust Mags, then its basically repeated a few months later in the NZ Mag.

Heres what I mean by changing a few words - from PCworld site
While F-Secure Anti-Virus 2010 ($40 for a one-year, 3-PC license, as of 11/19/09) is simple to use and does a reasonable job of blocking malware, it has a few bugs, and it couldn't beat some of its competitors. It came in at number six in our current roundup of stand-alone antivirus apps. yet in the NZPCworld mag page 46 it says "

While F-Secure Antivirus 2010(AU$112 for a one-year, 3-PC license;f-secure.com) is simple to use and does --------

Just the way the mag trade does its business I spose.

Pato
14-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes, I guess so. You are certainly on the ball wainuitech.
I guess I will just have to have another think about renewing nod32 at the end of the year. No doubt something else will pop up purporting to be the best antivirus program. Cheers.

JJJJJ
15-02-2010, 08:28 AM
I have nod32 installed on two computers and I thought it was the best available.
The February issue of NZ PC World has a review of Antivirus programs and it doesn't even rate in the top five programs. It is all very confusing!!

For some reason PCW doesn't bother testing anything that they are not given a free copy of.

inphinity
15-02-2010, 08:36 AM
IMO NOD32 is still the most effective real-world antivirus around. It's not infallible, but nothing is.

pctek
15-02-2010, 08:37 AM
It's actually really bad.
The general public is more inclined to believe something like the mag over one tech they don't know.

And if they do it on software, who's to say the rest of their reviews aren't rubbish too?

Good one PCWorld. Maybe you should fire all technical people and start hiring pyschics.

Pato
15-02-2010, 11:06 AM
I subscribe to PCW to get intelligent advice on which are the best programs to install and I thought that they did the tests themselves,
but after reading all your remarks I now know otherwise. Thanks.

Sam I Am
15-02-2010, 11:25 AM
On the other hand. The more people that use the likes of Nortons, the more work there is for computer techs.

wainuitech
15-02-2010, 12:55 PM
The reviews are usually very easy to spot if they are taken from someplace else, or actually written in NZ.

Take the Dec/jan issue - The article on FreeView HD - if you type into google the first line of any article, it will usually bring up results - the NZ PCWorld (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/reviews/EEF47775CD164D6ECC2576B10072757D) Was the only one that had the exact line "If you’re considering making the move to Freeview" so that more than likely is written by someone testing in NZ.

BUT in the same light - the very next article Re norton Internet security-- " Take a quick glance at the just-released Norton Internet Security 2010" ---- Well look it up and see who wrote it first :)

Just the way Magazines do their work I spose as I mentioned before ?

But Norton is good -- At bringing in work for sure :thumbs:

Sam I Am
15-02-2010, 03:30 PM
But Norton is good -- At bringing in work for sure :thumbs:

Not as good as my son who I recently overheard telling one of his mates that limewire was great. I asked him later why the hell he was saying that. "Cos then they will get a virus and you will get more work" was his answer. Not bad for an 11 year old.

pctek
15-02-2010, 07:08 PM
I subscribe to PCW to get intelligent advice on which are the best programs to install.

Right. My point exactly.
They should all be taken out the back and shot.

Personally I would like more repair work, new PC work and less crap cleaning work. But yet again, here I am removing loads of malware from a Norton infested PC.............

Agent_24
15-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Symantec probably pay them to review Norton using specific tests that it is really good at.

Sweep
15-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Peter Norton is probably sorry he sold his brand name to Symantec.

wainuitech
15-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Norton using specific tests that it is really good at. Is that a trick question :lol:

Agent_24
15-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Is that a trick question :lol:

Maybe. Well it is good at wasting computer resources, randomly breaking and then never uninstalling properly, costing far more than it's worth and yet still selling well...

Gobe1
16-02-2010, 08:59 AM
All i can add is we are now protected by Nod32, thanks to the wise testers and real world fixers on this forum. I certainly respect thier advice and when i read the latest PCworld i eagerly opened it waiting to read Nod32 as the best.....Gdata wtf
I had used Avast before and AVG before that, and was planning to continue with Avast but since their upgrade to version 5 their prices had almost trippled!! It was more expensive than Nod. No doubt Nod wont be the best forever but we will hear that first from this forum.

JJJJJ
16-02-2010, 09:04 AM
I once bought a computer with Norton pre installed. The only way I could get rid of it was a full re-format of the hard drive.
Nod 32 is the best. And if you don't want to pay for it you can d/l the free trial every month.

JJJJJ
16-02-2010, 09:08 AM
All i can add is we are now protected by Nod32, thanks to the wise testers and real world fixers on this forum. I certainly respect thier advice and when i read the latest PCworld i eagerly opened it waiting to read Nod32 as the best.....Gdata wtf
I had used Avast before and AVG before that, and was planning to continue with Avast but since their upgrade to version 5 their prices had almost trippled!! It was more expensive than Nod. No doubt Nod wont be the best forever but we will hear that first from this forum.

I have used NOD since it was first released. Have just paid for another two years.Therefore it MUST be good.:p

sarel
16-02-2010, 01:42 PM
JJJJJ - same here. LOL

sarel