PDA

View Full Version : Media Extender

REDALERT3COMMANDO
14-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi I am thinking about using my xbox 360 as a media extender to playback high definition tv, as our dvd recorder is analouge. I am planning to buy the Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD 500 Dual DVB-T Freeview HD TV Tuner http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=449/ID=1545/SID=160342863/productdetails.html
Does anybody else have this setup and have any problems with it, lag perhaps. Does the epg work? Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
14-02-2010, 03:54 PM
What version of windows is it??

Vista may not pick it up so you cant use it. That's what happened here. I had to use Win 7 for it to work on the Xbox 360

REDALERT3COMMANDO
14-02-2010, 03:58 PM
I should probably have mentioned that I already have had it running with vista home premium but was only running it with an analogue tv card. Things seemed to work fine, but sometimes it took a while for the xbox to connect with the computer. Most likely because the computer wasn't fully booted.

Speedy Gonzales
14-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Should have mentioned mine isnt the same card. Mines a DVB-T USB tuner. But it works fine, once you configure MC in windows and on the Xbox. No lag whatsoever. And the EPG works fine. And lets me record as well.

Only moan I've got with this is when you stop recording, it asks if you want to stop. Well obviously I do, I wouldnt have stopped it in the first place!

It takes a while to configure, since you have to add the extender then type in the 8 digit code

REDALERT3COMMANDO
14-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Thats great then microsoft does a good job of something for once! Now just to pray that I don't get the red ring of death, unlikely though because I have a jasper.

Speedy Gonzales
14-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Yup pity the tuner (I think its too new), doesnt work in Vista.

Otherwise, I would use Vista instead. Win 7 had still got a few bugs in it, that haven't been fixed yet.

Yup, got a Jasper here too, it hasnt died / fried yet :p Only thing I wish MS would fix (So, I could have the HDMI and HD AV connector at the same time). To save me swapping the cables all the time

There is a fix (remove the HD AV cable casing). But I dont fancy pulling it to bits. I think there's a thinner cable, BUT its like $50+ US. I dont even know if it exists in NZ