PDA

View Full Version : WMP11 Cannot Connect And Therefor You Are Screwed!

SurferJoe46
14-02-2010, 06:21 AM
I get this message from WMP11 and it won't rip a music file unless it can get an internet connection. Now here's the big gripe - I am NEVER OFF THE INTERNET AND HAVE AT LEAST ONE PUTER ON 24/7/365 through a hub and a switch to my satellite at 3K/3K.

I've rebooted everything (satellite power supply d/c'd overnight, same for the router and the hub) and even went to M$ for ideas multiple times and even went to XP's internet/web repair wizard and it says it did it's thing, but it may not work unless I grease Mr. Bill$ palm.

I have found a work-around though: I have the unit that's ripping CDs also run a streaming radio station at the same time and that seems to insure that WMP11 can actually see that it's on-line.

In the OPTIONS for WMP11, I have set things to allow WMP11 access to the internet and even to overwrite any messed up files, and then I tried to make it leave entries alone that I have filled in, only importing blank areas in the data files and it's no diff.

What do geek-types feel about this - and PLEASE don't tell me to dump WMP11. I've grown to like it and it's new GUIs and it is kinda a quantum leap from WMP10.

I don't remember this problem in WMP10 though. Uhmmmmmmm-m-m-m. ?!?!?

Maybe there's an update or HotFix that screwed things up - huh?

Speedy Gonzales
14-02-2010, 09:51 AM
WHATS the exact error message.

Agent_24
14-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Hate to say it, but there are much better ripping programs than any Windows Media Player...

As for your problem, I doubt it's your internet hardware. Probably some software setting that got changed badly.

Netsukeninja
14-02-2010, 11:46 AM
http://www.freerip.com/download.php FreeRip3 Basic is a great CD ripping alternative to WMP11.

Burnzee
14-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Hi SurferJoe46

Just wondering if your problem could be some screw up between your browser and WMP.

Remember WMP's default is to USE THE PROXY SETTINGS OF YOUR BROWSER.

Check this by going to LIBRARY>>MORE OPTIONS>>NETWORK. Now go to STREAMING PROXY SETTINGS>>HTTP>>CONFIGURE. Setting should be as above - USE THE PROXY SETTINGS OF YOUR BROWSER. Reset if not.

By way of experiment, try AUTO DETECT PROXY SETTINGS. Select OK.

Hope this helps

BURNZEE

pctek
15-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Looking at my V12, under rip music I have nothing there ticked.
Check your Options.

SurferJoe46
15-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Hi SurferJoe46

Just wondering if your problem could be some screw up between your browser and WMP.

Remember WMP's default is to USE THE PROXY SETTINGS OF YOUR BROWSER.

Check this by going to LIBRARY>>MORE OPTIONS>>NETWORK. Now go to STREAMING PROXY SETTINGS>>HTTP>>CONFIGURE. Setting should be as above - USE THE PROXY SETTINGS OF YOUR BROWSER. Reset if not.

By way of experiment, try AUTO DETECT PROXY SETTINGS. Select OK.

Hope this helps

BURNZEE

Check your Options.

OK - I'll be there in the AM (Monday here) and check it all out. I am on the road in Central California for the last 24-hours or so and will be for another 8-10 hours I feel.

Thanks

Burnzee
15-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Hi PcTech

Check your Options

Don't know 'bout V12 but in V11, there are only two boxes that can be ticked under the RIP MUSIC Tab. I fail to see how either would prevent or demand internet access. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

The two boxes are:

Rip CD when inserted
Eject CD when ripping is complete

For what it's worth I have both boxes ticked and my WMP 11 works perfectly.

BURNZEE

pctek
16-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Hi PcTech

Don't know 'bout V12 but in V11, there are only two boxes that can be ticked under the RIP MUSIC Tab. I fail to see how either would prevent or demand internet access. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

The two boxes are:

Rip CD when inserted
Eject CD when ripping is complete

]

And Copy Protect Music.
I can't see how either. I would check all the options, maybe something in another tab - under security perhaps?

Player TAB has a tick box - connect to the internet, for instance.