PDA

View Full Version : Computer Crashes in Graphics Intensive Tasks

Thebananamonkey
13-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi All,

I've been having lots of problems playing Modern Warfare 2 recently, where my screen will go grey before the sound starts playing up and I have to turn the whole thing off and restart.

Initially it was really bad and would happen every ten minutes or so. I was playing on my TV at 1920x1080 and when I've gone back to 1680x1050 it's become a little better. It became a bit better when I put my comp on all auto settings (reversing carefully tuned voltages and latency's).

I suspect that my graphics card just isn't up to the job, but am wondering if it could be my PSU or RAM or something? Specs are:

Q6600 @3.0
OCZ 2x2GB 1066 DDR2
Asus P5K-E Wifi
XFX 9800GTX (Factory OC'd)
Enermax 620W Liberty
Asus Xonar STX Soundcard

The soundcard is relatively new too, so am wondering if it's possible that it's the problem.

Any suggestions? Ideas? I'm looking at the HD5770 as a replacement card if it's just that my GPU isn't up to scratch

Chilling_Silence
13-02-2010, 04:28 PM
It'll be overheating I'd guess? Your Power Supply looks fine. What happens if you run something like speccy or EVEREST in the background and Alt + Tab to it every now and then? How hot is the GPU?

pctek
13-02-2010, 05:32 PM
I've been having lots of problems playing Modern Warfare 2
I was playing on my TV at 1920x1080 and when I've gone back to 1680x1050 it's become a little better. It became a bit better when I put my comp on all auto settings (reversing carefully tuned voltages and latency's).

There you go. You've answered your own question.

Thebananamonkey
13-02-2010, 05:45 PM
There you go. You've answered your own question.

A little better and a bit better doesn't mean it doesn't hang. Had it stopped hanging, I would have said so.

What I want to know is whether it could be anything other than my GPU, to save me from spending lots of money on a new one and still having the same problems.

wainuitech
13-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Two simple things to try.

Restore everything to default , non OC settings - see if it works OK
make sure there is no dust/dirt buildup in the cooling devices, fans, heatsinks etc

Thebananamonkey
13-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Temps sitting around 80C and peaking at 83C. That shouldn't be too high though, should it?

Sweep
13-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Not really good I suspect. Mine at 48C currently under load.

Thebananamonkey
13-02-2010, 06:56 PM
This is my graphics card, not my CPU.

83 load
63 idle

Sweep
13-02-2010, 07:17 PM
I was referring to my GPU not CPU as well.

Thebananamonkey
13-02-2010, 08:18 PM
So if I just an aftermarket GPU cooler (http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360112) would that probably solve the problem?

I thought these cards were able to go up to temps of ~100C before they died? Mine's not anywhere near that as far as I can see.

Sweep
13-02-2010, 08:27 PM
So if I just an aftermarket GPU cooler (http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360112) would that probably solve the problem?

I thought these cards were able to go up to temps of ~100C before they died? Mine's not anywhere near that as far as I can see.

I didn't say it was enormously hot. You should get away with that temp.

It may not be the cause of the PC hanging either. For all I know at this point it could be a driver issue.

Netsukeninja
13-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Your computer is probably due for a good clean out. Avoid using the vacuum cleaner as you may suck off small chips from your hardware, look into getting a can of compressed air.

Thebananamonkey
13-02-2010, 10:45 PM
I clean it out really thoroughly every couple of months and all of my intake fans have filters on them. I took my GPU apart after this started happening to see if it was clogged, but it was clean as a whistle.

It could be a driver issue... maybe I should roll it back a few releases?

wainuitech
13-02-2010, 10:57 PM
I took my GPU apart after this started happening to see if it was clogged, but it was clean as a whistle. Do you mean just removed it from the PC and cleaned it, or removed the heatsink as well - If the latter, did you reapply new thermal paste ?

Thebananamonkey
13-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Took it apart, was going to put thermal paste on but noticed that it used a funny mesh between the HS and all the components. I guess the problem could be non-core components overheating, given that I can't monitor them.

I should probably apply it and see what happens before buying an aftermarket part or getting a new card. While it's by no means new, the 9800GTX still plays most of the games I like at OK framerates. If the card wasn't up to it, wouldn't I just see it as really framey?

Chilling_Silence
13-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Yeah basically when it's getting around that temperature, it's going to start failing. Running it constantly around that heat is bad enough, some circuitry will handle it better than others. I know that the Intel Atom CPU can reach 90 degrees before the BIOS kicks in on the mobo's I'm using and will kill power. I've dropped it down personally to 80 degrees, a little safer.

wainuitech summed it up: Take off all OC's, or underclock it whatever, and run the game. See if it crashes. If it doesn't, you know it's overheating from overclocking so either don't OC so much, or get an aftermarket cooler that'll do a better job.

Simple :)

Thebananamonkey
17-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Have bought an aftermarket cooler and after ~10min playtime it's sitting at
Load -69C
Idle -48C

Fairly easy to install. VF1000 so far recommended.

pctek
17-02-2010, 08:20 PM
I was playing on my TV at 1920x1080 and when I've gone back to 1680x1050 it's become a little better.

I suspect that my graphics card just isn't up to the job,

What I want to know is whether it could be anything other than my GPU, to save me from spending lots of money on a new one and still having the same problems.

The resolution - both of them is high.
And the card is sad.
You DID answer your own question.

All your other parts are fine.

Thebananamonkey
17-02-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm with you re: lightweight card.

My problem is that I'm not going to be in the country much more than a year and don't see the point in investing heaps in a new card.

Hopefully lowering temps will make things run in the meantime.

SolMiester
18-02-2010, 09:28 AM
nevermind, thought your card was failing....