PDA

View Full Version : windows reinstall trounle

smithinator
13-02-2010, 02:38 PM
my laptops OS recently became corrupted and now it wont boot i have pulled all of my files off using ubuntu and now i want to use the windows disk to reinstall vista only problem is when i put the disk in it does its normal push any key to boot from disk and then it tries to boot and it freezes, (it is set to boot from disk in the bios) instead of booting into the windows install wizard like it is supposed to, so how do i reinstall windows when the disk doesn't start up like it should?

wainuitech
13-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Try cleaning the Disk, sometimes small smudges or marks can cause problems.

smithinator
13-02-2010, 05:20 PM
the disk hasn't been taken out of its case since i got it so it should be perfectly clean

wainuitech
13-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Still clean it - I have seen many a time CD/DVD's not work even brand new - they can have a type of coating on them ( for the lack of a better word) and once its been cleaned they work.

Sweep
13-02-2010, 05:31 PM
I have seen CDs and DVDs with just a finger print on fail to read. So clean it.

smithinator
13-02-2010, 06:50 PM
i cleaned it but it still doesnt work what else can i try?
also is there a better way to shut it down when its frozen cos i really hate pulling the power

Sweep
13-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Is this an original Vista CD?

Have you got a live Linux CD or any other bootable CDs?

smithinator
13-02-2010, 07:04 PM
it is the vista disk that came with the laptop and i have a bootable ubuntu linux CD which i used to "rescue" all of my files from the laptop

wainuitech
13-02-2010, 07:11 PM
i cleaned it but it still doesnt work what else can i try?
also is there a better way to shut it down when its frozen cos i really hate pulling the power
make sure the Vista DVD is actually Ok - there has been the odd few that are "broken" - put it into another PC, see if it will read, or start to boot from it.

Edited: if the DVD is damaged in some way, you may have to install using a different DVD, and the COA on the underside of teh laptop. What brand is it, as there will be a folder as well with all the drivers that you may want to copy off using Linux.

Shutting down - press and hold down the Power/On Button, usually takes about 5-10 seconds and the PC/Laptop will be forced to shut down, then let the power button go.

smithinator
13-02-2010, 07:16 PM
when i hold down the power button it just goes to sleep, ill check to see if it works now

smithinator
13-02-2010, 07:43 PM
what should i do if the windows disk doesn't work i haven't tested it yet as someone else is using the PC and has so kindly let me write this message also i made many system restores before the laptop crashed is it possible to activate the most recent one using my bootable cd?

bk T
13-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Have you tried to restore it from the HDD recovery partition? What brand is your laptop?

radium
13-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Did you try to access it in safe mode or last known config... (Which hardly ever works) but it's worth a try.

Seems strange that your Vista DVD won't work... Like Wainui says You need to try it in another computer. Also are you sure there isn't a hidden recovery partition? Most notebook manufactures these days have out-of-box images ready to go.

smithinator
13-02-2010, 08:04 PM
no it doesn't have an inbuilt recovery it is an older laptop though it is not a dinosaur :D, it is made by arche in auckland, also i tried starting it in all the safe modes etc but still nothing. what i was wondering is i found a file under recovery while i was in ubuntu rescuing files and i was wondering if i could click it and see if it would try to restore the setting/registry so that it would undo the error

wainuitech
13-02-2010, 08:42 PM
when i hold down the power button it just goes to sleep, ill check to see if it works nowUnder the power settings will be the options to change what happens when the power button is held down -thats where it needs to be changed.

radium
13-02-2010, 08:48 PM
no it doesn't have an inbuilt recovery it is an older laptop though it is not a dinosaur :D, it is made by arche in Auckland

I didn't know Arche had the ability to manufacture Notebooks....

if i could click it and see if it would try to restore the setting/registry so that it would undo the error

I extremely doubt it. You can download a Vista Recovery disk that will give you advanced boot options, and access a system restore point, if it has a valid one. You can also use this disc to do a start up repair.

smithinator
13-02-2010, 08:56 PM
where do i get this disk?

Sweep
13-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Here:-

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

smithinator
13-02-2010, 09:18 PM
at the moment i dont have access to a dvd writer :(

KarameaDave
13-02-2010, 09:30 PM
A CD writer will do....it's only 120MB

smithinator
13-02-2010, 09:40 PM
i only have a dvd rom drive

radium
13-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Things just arn't working out for you are they, Welcome to the world of computers :badpc:

Do you have a friend that can download it and burn it for you? I think you going to need a working PC with a CD or DVD burner to get you anywhere.

smithinator
13-02-2010, 10:00 PM
looks like it, all of my family etc are in nelson which is where i got the ubuntu disk from and everyone in this small town has old computers which are no use to me, is there any way to fix this using what i have,

Speedy Gonzales
13-02-2010, 10:04 PM
No. Or remove the hdd put it in a working system, then format it. See if it'll format. If it does, put it back in the laptop. Then see if it works

smithinator
13-02-2010, 10:08 PM
well luckily my parents know of a neighbor that apparently got a new PC lately so hopefully it has a burner and if not ill try the removing the hdd can you hook up a laptop hdd to a PC?
also i had a thought maybe i could use the ubuntu CD to reformat the drive (by going through the install process) and then try using my vista disk and see if it works then

Speedy Gonzales
13-02-2010, 10:11 PM
You can connect IDE or SATA hdds to a desktop. Obviously, you'll have to have the right connections on the desktop. But if the hdd is smaller, you MAY have to get an adapter, if its IDE

Sweep
13-02-2010, 10:12 PM
looks like it, all of my family etc are in nelson which is where i got the ubuntu disk from and everyone in this small town has old computers which are no use to me, is there any way to fix this using what i have,

The problem is that we don't know what you've got. There may well be a hidden restore partition on the laptops hard drive. You would not see it in Windows as it's hidden.

The DVD that came with the laptop. Is it a restore CD/DVD or an original copy of Vista? What is the make and model of the laptop.

radium
13-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I don't know Maybe ubuntu has the abilities to format, but I'm sure your neigbour will have a burner of some sorts.

Other than Arche (which seems strange) what brand lables or model names or numbers are printed on your notebook

Sweep
13-02-2010, 10:29 PM
I note that Arche still sell Notebooks with MSI numbers on them.

smithinator
13-02-2010, 10:30 PM
it has a MSI motherboard, an amd sempron CPU, it is running or should i say was running windows vista basic 32-bit, it is a sata hdd, ati x1200 gpu and 1gb kingston ram ddr2. the disk that came with it looks to actually be the full version of windows which would be great if it worked, also it says nothing about having an internal backup and it coming with a disk indicates this to me as well.

Sweep
13-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Looks like the Arche web site is useless to get specs anyway.

Speedy Gonzales
13-02-2010, 10:40 PM
I dont think any laptop comes with a full version of windows. There's either a restore cd/dvd or a restore partition (which will let you create a restore cd or dvd)

smithinator
13-02-2010, 10:45 PM
well it did come with a product key if that means anything im not sure but it doesnt really matter what it is if its not working lol

Sweep
13-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Has the CD that came with the laptop got a holograph on it?

There may be a key combination that will allow you to boot off a hidden partition.

I had a so called dead HP desktop a while back with no disks. It would not boot normally but with the right keys pressed it put the unit back to factory.
I used the COA on the case and my ex wife is still using it.

wainuitech
13-02-2010, 10:52 PM
As mentioned earlier on,you need to check to see if the DVD actually will boot in another PC, other wise formatting the drive wont do anything except leave you with a blank drive and a DVD that cant be booted from.

Does the DVD look Something like this (http://www.mydigitallife.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/x64-vista-dvd.jpg) - if so its a genuine DVD, If not then it could be a bad burnt DVD from archie.

IF the DVD does read OK in another PC, you may have to copy the DVD and try that one. On the odd occasion , some drives wont read certain DVD's.

Look to see if it does have a recovery partition, easiest way, is usually when you first start the Laptop, for the first few seconds, down the bottom of the screen it may flash press F10 (for example) to load recovery. In fact try pressing F10 on startup, as its the usual key to boot into a recovery partition.

Also if it does have a recovery partition, Linux will have seen it.

Sweep
13-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Also if it does have a recovery partition, Linux will have seen it.

Linux could see a file called recovery so the OP said and was wondering if he could click on it.

radium
14-02-2010, 09:12 AM
MSI that makes more sense, you could try f3 to enter recovery. Otherwise you just need to check that disc in another pc

smithinator
14-02-2010, 10:09 AM
i cant believe i missed this on this disk it says external recovery media so it looks like its not actually a full version of windows also the disk looks nothing like the one in the picture and it says at the top "for distribution only with a new MSI PC"

i was in ubuntu looking at the recovery partition titled WinRE and inside it is recoverymanager.exe, multipack.exe and imagex.exe plus 8 random looking files is this the recovery thing you mentioned also i looked and there is no recovery option when the laptop starts up

also will running the recovery disk in my win 7 PC be OK because it is my only working computer at this stage so i dont want it to stop working

feersumendjinn
14-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Try restarting several times and press successive F keys as it reboots, to find your recovery partition :)

smithinator
14-02-2010, 10:28 AM
i cant keep doing that because every time i do nothing will happen then it will freeze and i have to pull the plug (which i hate doing) then the laptop wont even start for a few hours then it will work fine right up until the freezing. but on the boot screen there is only three options del for bios then two others i cant remember but they definitely aren't recovery

feersumendjinn
14-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Looking through MSI webpage
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=videoIndex&result_id_page=5
look at Notebook System Recovery video, F3 should be the recovery hotkey.

smithinator
14-02-2010, 10:49 AM
ill try that um the disk that i can download is that this but in disk form?

feersumendjinn
14-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Try F3
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=videoIndex&result_id_page=5

smithinator
14-02-2010, 10:55 AM
i just tried all of the f buttons suggested eg f3,f10 but nothing happened is the disk i can make a backup like the one described in the video

feersumendjinn
14-02-2010, 10:58 AM
No.
Here:-

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/
Its not a backup disk.
When you say you tried "all the f buttons", did you actually press/hold the function key F3 (at the top of the keyboard), while the laptop is restarting/booting?

smithinator
14-02-2010, 11:06 AM
the page can not be found

KarameaDave
14-02-2010, 11:13 AM
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

try this one.

smithinator
14-02-2010, 11:15 AM
thanks ok so i download the right version follow the instructios to burn it to a disk the put it in the laptop set first boot to disk then follow the prompts to restore windows is this correct and will this format the hdd for me or will it just fix the thing that is stopping it from starting

KarameaDave
14-02-2010, 11:18 AM
It is a repair disc not a reinstall disc.
(it's not a copy of Vista, just the repair tools from it!)

wainuitech
14-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Its only the recovery console / repair section of Vista, it WONT reinstall windows.

You may be able to wind the system back using system Restore from it, or get it to reboot normally.

For the Recovery partition - also try Alt+F10 or Alt+F11 on start up.

smithinator
14-02-2010, 11:20 AM
ok so all of my files on the laptop will still be there once i used this disk

feersumendjinn
14-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Sorry, I broke the link.
So, what's the story with F3? :) (See post #45)
Please be more verbose, we're in the dark here.

wainuitech
14-02-2010, 11:25 AM
ok so all of my files on the laptop will still be there once i used this diskThe recovery CD from neosmart -- YEP.

Its only a OS repair disc. You can wipe a drive with it, but I wouldn't, because every thing will be gone then, and if the recovery isn't working you'll be left with a blank drive.

smithinator
14-02-2010, 11:29 AM
OK i have tried f3 and f10 but it did not start up any recovery center i also quickly pressed as many of the other f buttons as i could before it tried to boot from the ubuntu disk and the only thing i got was the command line asking me where i wanted to boot from eg disk hdd etc i hope this answers your question

is there any way to get a full version disk of windows so i can do a complete re-install (using the product key i already have) without buying the OS again , i think it is pretty unfair that you by a laptop preloaded with the OS but don't get the original disk to repair/reinstall the OS if required

feersumendjinn
14-02-2010, 11:46 AM
OK i have tried f3 and f10 but it did not start up any recovery center i also quickly pressed as many of the other f buttons as i could before it tried to boot from the ubuntu disk and the only thing i got was the command line asking me where i wanted to boot from eg disk hdd etc i hope this answers your question

is there any way to get a full version disk of windows so i can do a complete re-install (using the product key i already have) without buying the OS again , i think it is pretty unfair that you by a laptop preloaded with the OS but don't get the original disk to repair/reinstall the OS if required
I thought you had a Vista disk

now i want to use the windows disk to reinstall vista only problem is when i put the disk in it does its normal push any key to boot from disk and then it tries to boot and it freezes,

Try pressing/holding F3 only while rebooting without a disc in the drive.

wainuitech
14-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Re post54: Does the laptop boot from that neosmart Vista Repair ?

Re windows: one of 3 things happen.
A recovery DVD is supplied to recover the OS/Drivers etc or there is a recovery partition on the drive.
A copy of Windows vista is supplied along with the COA
You are meant to make a recvery DVD from the system Before you need it, as in asap after running the laptop for the first time, there will be an icon on the desktop or option in the start menu.

You can always borrow a OEM DVD from someone and use your own COA - Vista Comes with all versions on the one DVD, the COA determines the version installed.

smithinator
14-02-2010, 02:01 PM
i have another windows vista 64bit disk could i use this disk to reinstall windows then use the laptops product key (note the laptop is 32bit) to activate it?

wainuitech
14-02-2010, 02:05 PM
The key may work, but will the hardware on the laptop allow 64bit to run is the question.

BUT one thing you can try - this is to test if the original DVD that wont work is faulty or the problem is elsewhere,see if the 64bit Vista DVD will boot in the laptop.

smithinator
14-02-2010, 02:09 PM
will the 32bit product key work in the 64 bit disk or does the disk contain both 32 and 64 bit os

wainuitech
14-02-2010, 02:16 PM
generally the Disc is either 32 or 64 Bit, not both.

I have a couple of NFR versions of Vista ( not For Resale) and they come with both 64 & 32 DVD's. either key will work in either version - BUT that could be because of the version NFR -- Easy way to see - if the DVD boots, let it go through, enter the key and see what happens - its either going to work or not.

BUT if it doesn't you will end up with either a drive thats empty, or even further screwed.

smithinator
14-02-2010, 02:20 PM
ok so ill try the making a repair disk and see if that works and if not ill try the 64bit os disk and if not well i dunno :(

Sweep
14-02-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm still willing to bet that you have a recovery partition on that laptop.

Did you do what was mentioned in post 55?

smithinator
14-02-2010, 02:33 PM
i have done whats in post 55 and i have even pressed all of the other f buttons, is it possible for someone with vista home basic 32bit to burn me a copy of the disk so then i could install it using my product key or alternatively is it possible to get Microsoft to actually send me the disk i need?

Sweep
14-02-2010, 02:34 PM
i cant believe i missed this on this disk it says external recovery media so it looks like its not actually a full version of windows also the disk looks nothing like the one in the picture and it says at the top "for distribution only with a new MSI PC"

i was in ubuntu looking at the recovery partition titled WinRE and inside it is recoverymanager.exe, multipack.exe and imagex.exe plus 8 random looking files is this the recovery thing you mentioned also i looked and there is no recovery option when the laptop starts up

also will running the recovery disk in my win 7 PC be OK because it is my only working computer at this stage so i dont want it to stop working

This is why I think you do have a recovery partition.
Also don't run Vista stuff in your Win 7 PC !!!!!!!

smithinator
14-02-2010, 02:36 PM
luckily i havent, i think the disk i have is the recovery but it doesnt work

Sweep
14-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Well I don't have Vista here so can't help any more.

smithinator
14-02-2010, 02:46 PM
OK thanks for the help ill try the things i stated in post 61 and if anyone has a vista basic 32bit disk that you'd be willing to make a copy of let me know or if you know of a place i could obtain one it would be very helpful also any other ideas on how to fix these issues would be greatly appreciated

wainuitech
14-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Did you try Alt+F10 or Alt+F11 on start up to see if the recovery option is there.

BTW - where in the south Island are you located - several techs and other people here that may help if you are in their area.

smithinator
14-02-2010, 02:59 PM
i live in westport, i have tried alt+all of the f buttons, i just had a thought is it possible to download a trial of vista home 32bit and install that on my laptop then i could activate it using my product key, and if so where can i download it from?

Sweep
14-02-2010, 03:05 PM
But I thought you did not have a DVD or CD burner?

smithinator
14-02-2010, 03:08 PM
i dont but on Tuesday i can go to my friends house in town and use his (we live 20min out of westport so we do go in everyday) and from there i can get the repair disk or a trial version of vista, so is it possible to get a trial version and if so where?

Sweep
14-02-2010, 03:15 PM
You may be able to get a version here but I'm not sure if an OEM copy product key would qualify.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/2057/ordermedia/default.mspx

Naturally though you possibly do not have a credit card.

smithinator
14-02-2010, 03:19 PM
so there is no version i can just download so i dont have to pay shipping

Sweep
14-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Not that I know of. There are possibly versions on the internet somewhere but I'm not aware of any legal versions.

smithinator
14-02-2010, 03:23 PM
ok everyone thanks for the help if anyone has anything to add feel free and if anyone knows if the os in the link will support my oem version please let me know thanks again :thanks

KarameaDave
14-02-2010, 04:57 PM
what 'OS in the link'?:confused:
the links are to repair discs, aren't they?

wainuitech
14-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Yep - The links point to the Recovery / Repair CD for Vista. Not the actual OS.

smithinator
14-02-2010, 05:29 PM
i mean this link

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/2057/ordermedia/default.mspx

wainuitech
14-02-2010, 05:41 PM
That link, will ask MS to send you multi CD's that contain Vista. Its for people that have only a CD drive, and Not a DVD drive.

you would still have to pay for the CD's.

smithinator
14-02-2010, 10:16 PM
i know i have to pay shipping but will my product key be able to activate it once i install the os from these disks?