PDA

View Full Version : Malware - Mirar

Krad
13-02-2010, 11:44 AM
I use Spinach AntiSpyware to check for malware and it always picks up 2 problems in the registry - Mirar and Istbar which I quarantine and then delete. None of the other anti spyware programs (Adaware, Spybot, Antispyware etc) pick these two up. Does anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them for good if they are bad? The performance of the computer does not seem to be affected by the way.

Speedy Gonzales
13-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Install something better like malwarebytes. Update it then do a full scan. Then remove them

Tbird650
13-02-2010, 12:03 PM
This (http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=127591) should solve it for you. Good forum on that issue.

Krad
16-02-2010, 02:56 PM
This (http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=127591) should solve it for you. Good forum on that issue.

If I uninstall Internet Explorer (as I use Firefox) and delete these two malware programs with Spinach Antispyware will that solve the problem or do they remain somewhere in the system? I checked the sites you suggested but I do not want to mess with the registry and their solution seems very complicated.

Speedy Gonzales
16-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Unless you installed the version of IE, you cant remove it. If you installed IE7, or 8 (over IE6), then you can. But IE 6 will still be installed. Since its part of Windows / installed with Windows. The only way youre going to remove IE, is if youre using Windows 7

pctek
16-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Unless you installed the version of IE, you cant remove it.

Actually there is a long involved procedure for removing it. I did it once.

Windows then does some weird things that have no relevance to a browser - probably by design to justify the bundling of it.

Like Device Manager - it shows for a second then comes up with a message saying it can't display cause IE is missing.

But, ignore IE, use Firefox or Chrome. Much better.

Speedy Gonzales
16-02-2010, 03:30 PM
In XP you can add a few entries to sys something so it appears. BUT, depending on how you go about it, it can kill Windows as well

Krad
16-02-2010, 05:45 PM
In XP you can add a few entries to sys something so it appears. BUT, depending on how you go about it, it can kill Windows as well

OK I'll leave Internet Explorer installed. I tried Malwarebytes and it didn't pick up Mirar and Istbar nor did Spybot. Spinach did but the baddies will be back next time I boot up! I do not notice any ill effect of these two so are they doing any harm?

Speedy Gonzales
16-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Get hijackthis and we'll see whats in startup

pctek
16-02-2010, 06:05 PM
I tried Malwarebytes and it didn't pick up Mirar and Istbar nor did Spybot.

Take a look what files and reg entries this malware is supposed to have associated with it.
Then manually check to see if you actually do have the files/reg entries.
It could just be a false positive. Especially if the other 2 said you were clean.

Krad
19-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Take a look what files and reg entries this malware is supposed to have associated with it.
Then manually check to see if you actually do have the files/reg entries.
It could just be a false positive. Especially if the other 2 said you were clean.

I think you are probably right that it could be a false positive. Thanks to all who gave their help.