PDA

View Full Version : Vodafone Mobile Connect

bk T
12-02-2010, 11:05 PM

Setting up this Vodafone Mobile Connect for a friend, it works fine but with the following annoyance:

Every time when this Vodafone's USB device is plugged in, Vista's UAC window pops up requesting for permission to Run setup.exe. Have to click OK to allow this device to be installed than click the Vodafone Mobile Connect shortcut icon on the desktop to get it connected.

Is there a way by-pass the above steps - like, it connects automatically when the device is plugged in?

Speedy Gonzales
12-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Turn UAC off. Altho why is it running the install file all the time? I take it setup.exe is the install file? If thats for the drivers, it shouldnt be asking it should use them. Or dont disconnect whatever it is all the time

bk T
12-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Turn UAC off. Altho why is it running the install file all the time? I take it setup.exe is the install file? If thats for the drivers, it shouldnt be asking it should use them. Or dont disconnect whatever it is all the time

It is the install file and it shouldn't be asking everytime the device is inserted.

It is a laptop computer and can't leave the USB stick there all the times. It's quite annoying.

Speedy Gonzales
12-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Thats right. It shouldnt be asking if the drivers are installed. (if it needs any drivers). I would ring Vodafone and ask them why is it asking all the time.

When you plug it in, does a windows come up, saying the drivers havent been installed, or does it ask for drivers or a disk with the drivers as well?

Go to device manager (while its plugged in). Does it say its working (under the entry for it)? Sounds a bit odd to me. If you've got something like a USB flash drive, what happens if you put it in a USB port? Does the autoplay wizard come up asking what to do with it?

bk T
12-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Thats right. It shouldnt be asking if the drivers are installed. (if it needs any drivers). I would ring Vodafone and ask them why is it asking all the time.

When you plug it in, does a windows come up, saying the drivers havent been installed, or does it ask for drivers or a disk with the drivers as well?

Go to device manager (while its plugged in). Does it say its working (under the entry for it)? Sounds a bit odd to me. If you've got something like a USB flash drive, what happens if you put it in a USB port? Does the autoplay wizard come up asking what to do with it?

Just turned off UAC but the window still pops up asking for permission to run the setup.exe! But, it still connects even when I click the 'X' to close the window.

Phone up vodafone? This laptop belongs to my friend and when she phone up Vodafone, the guy over there couldn't even get it connected! LOL.

The autoplay wizard does come up when a USB flash drive in plugged in.

Speedy Gonzales
13-02-2010, 12:07 AM
And what about device manager, does this thing appear there, and does it say its working properly? Something sounds screwed. Did you reboot after you disabled UAC?

bk T
13-02-2010, 12:18 AM
And what about device manager, does this thing appear there, and does it say its working properly? Something sounds screwed. Did you reboot after you disabled UAC?

I did rebooted.

Device Manager has 2 items: 1 as USB SD Storage Device and the other as Mobile Connect -3G Modem. They are all shown as OK.

Has uninstalled and re-installed with the same results!

Speedy Gonzales
13-02-2010, 12:27 AM
When you installed the software for this USB stick, did you run the install file as admin?? Right mouse on the install file / run as admin? Whats the model of this thing?? Is it something like a Huawei E220 or something?

Deimos
13-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Just a quick question, may not help, does the guy own a smart phone on the vodaphone network? I use my N95 to connect my laptop to the internet, so no need for a vodem... (saves about $200)

Roger Hunt
13-02-2010, 02:44 AM
Uncheck auto play software then go to settings General start and exit in Vodafone and start up options check start this application when a device is plugged in In manage devices check both boxes for turning on and off the device. I also have UAC turned off and have changed the setting in HKEY\LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT VERSION\POLICIES\SYSTEM
here I have changed the consent prompt behavior Admin to 0 Default is 2 When you start your computer you will get one warning that UAC is off and no more warnings (Note this is on an Administrator account)

bk T
13-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Uncheck auto play software then go to settings General start and exit in Vodafone and start up options check start this application when a device is plugged in In manage devices check both boxes for turning on and off the device. I also have UAC turned off and have changed the setting in HKEY\LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT VERSION\POLICIES\SYSTEM
here I have changed the consent prompt behavior Admin to 0 Default is 2 When you start your computer you will get one warning that UAC is off and no more warnings (Note this is on an Administrator account)

In Manage devices, I have:
Devies
HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem - Set as Default box which is checked and Status - Acitve

There are no boxes for turning ON and OFF options.

mzee
13-02-2010, 10:18 AM
This Vodafone Gismo needs "Microsoft .NET Framework" which it should install first time, takes forever. Check that .NET Framework is installed. If not, the Vodafone stick will be seen in two parts on your file manager. A virtual CD which has the software on it, and a folder for the settings etc. You can install .NET framework from the Virtual CD. (red icon). I have had problems with HP Laptops for some reason, but not on Asus Eee701 or my desktops.

bk T
13-02-2010, 10:39 AM
This Vodafone Gismo needs "Microsoft .NET Framework" which it should install first time, takes forever. Check that .NET Framework is installed. If not, the Vodafone stick will be seen in two parts on your file manager. A virtual CD which has the software on it, and a folder for the settings etc. You can install .NET framework from the Virtual CD. (red icon). I have had problems with HP Laptops for some reason, but not on Asus Eee701 or my desktops.

Thanks mzee. Will install it later. Do I need to uninstall the device before installing .net?

Roger Hunt
13-02-2010, 11:14 AM
In Manage devices, I have:
Devies
HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem - Set as Default box which is checked and Status - Acitve

There are no boxes for turning ON and OFF options.You cannot set the options when it is active.You have to go into manage devices select your device then Edit that's what I did with mine as I had the same problem as your friend when I first started.

Roger Hunt
13-02-2010, 06:54 PM
When it tells you it has found a network it asks connect, show all details, cancel. click show all details,Highlight your device,click edit and you will be given options as to what network to use and power options

bk T
13-02-2010, 07:45 PM
... You can install .NET framework from the Virtual CD. (red icon)...

Couldn't find .NET framework.

Speedy Gonzales
13-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Isnt .net framework 2 or 3 part of Vista?

bk T
13-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks, speedy.