PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome

legod
12-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Anyone use it? What do you think?

I think it's great so far. Been using it for 2 days and it's soooo much faster than Firefox and IE.

Cato
12-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Opera FTW.

I can't trust google after reading their original EULA for Chrome.

Sweep
12-02-2010, 04:24 PM
I don't use it.

Speedy Gonzales
12-02-2010, 04:39 PM
I would try it if it saved passwords. But it doesnt. The only way it saves passwords, is if it imports them when you install it. I tried chromeplus last night, which is meant to be better / a few more options in it. But it kept crashing. So, that was the end of that

Chilling_Silence
12-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Dunno where you got your Chrome from, but mine always has. Perhaps if you were using some form of a beta build that had it temporarily disabled? See the attachments.

Personally I've not used anything else for coming up a year now. Get the latest Dev build which supports Extensions and much more:
http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?extra=devchannel

It's incredibly fast, even compared with Firefox / Opera :D

Speedy Gonzales
12-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I've never used betas, I've always used finals or the devs. And none of them save passwords. Unless theyre imported (from FF), when I install Chrome. Dont know if its because I'm using x64 or not. Thats the only other reason I can think of why they dont work. Yup and offer to save passwords is enabled by default. But I can save passwords in FF

Chilling_Silence
12-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm using both 64-bit on my Desktop and 32-bit on my Netbook. Never had any issues. I wonder if it doesn't like it due to importing your settings from Firefox?

Speedy Gonzales
12-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Nope doesnt matter if I do a custom install or not. It doesnt work

jwil1
12-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Tried it - but then went back to Firefox solely because of it's huge array of addons.

Speedy Gonzales
12-02-2010, 09:29 PM
If you use the 4.x versions its got addons too. Similar or identical to FF

mzee
13-02-2010, 11:54 AM
I am trying out the Beta version on W7.
It is saving passwords.
If you want a Bookmark Icon on the main toolbar, Right click the desktop Chrome icon>Properties. Edit the URL chrome.ex --Bookmark-Menu Ok

There is now a large range of add-ons.
My main objection is that unlike FF when you go Back, it goes to the top of the page instead of to the exact spot. This is very tedious on long lists like TradeMe and F1. Opera also has this fault.

paulw
13-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I've been using it since the early betas. It's up to beta 5.0.317.2. The only thing I don't like is the silent installer. I like to know what's going on. Tried to install an update on to a machine with an old Version 4 beta. Nothing happen. I saw a log file bing created in the directory I had save it in that said the version that I was updating from was too old. How hard would it be to make a interactive installer with this sort of feedback??

I currently using Opera 10.5 beta. Still has a few nasties..
I'm current

mzee
13-02-2010, 11:07 PM
I forgot another objection.
It is not installed in Program Files like all the other software, buried itself somewhere!

Speedy Gonzales
13-02-2010, 11:12 PM
It'll tell you when you install it. I think it installs to user folder/username/local/appdata/roaming

mzee
14-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Why???
Too arrogant to go into Program Files like everyone else ;-)

Speedy Gonzales
14-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Ask google its their program. You can change the install path cant you?

PiscesKiwi
15-02-2010, 01:56 AM
I have try Google Chrome for mac, but then I tend to use Safari and Firefox more.

zqwerty
15-02-2010, 07:36 AM
I have found that Chrome Portable uses approximately 12 - 15 meg of ram for each add-on. I use Chrome to check my Gmail everyday, it is good but not as good as Firefox, yet, but the addon usage which I just discovered yesterday is a bit of a worry.

I have plenty of ram on my desktop but not my laptop which I also use at times when I have to do a specific job at work.

Chilling_Silence
15-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Yeah I have Google Mail Checker Plus which uses 24MB... 1/170th of the total available RAM on this box, so it's not really a big issue here, though I can understand where you're coming from.

That said, it is checking the email on 4 domains for me :D

inphinity
15-02-2010, 08:35 AM
I've been using Chrome for quite a while now too, though not exclusively. I have to say, I do really like it. Memory usage with some functions and addons does seem a little higher than I'd expect, but not terrible.

Saving passwords has never been a problem for me, and I've been using it since v0.4 late November 2008.

JJJJJ
15-02-2010, 08:51 AM
I fail to understand why anyone would want to use Chrome or Firefox or Opera. As far as I am concerned Windows comes with a web browser that does what I want it to do. I've tried all the others, they all do the same thing, so why change?
Why anyone want's "Extra Features" has always puzzled me.

Sweep
15-02-2010, 08:57 AM
It is simply a protest aimed at Microsoft. Like the protests aimed at Telecom for example.

FoxyMX
15-02-2010, 09:08 AM
I fail to understand why anyone would want to use Chrome or Firefox or Opera. As far as I am concerned Windows comes with a web browser that does what I want it to do. I've tried all the others, they all do the same thing, so why change?
Why anyone want's "Extra Features" has always puzzled me.

Because those "extra features" make browsing the internet a lot easier and more convenient. Opera beats the lot hands down with being able to be customised exactly how I want it, without having to install lots of "add-ons" that need updating all the time and break the browser if they are not.

With regards to Google Chrome, I found it installed on a PC that I have been fixing. Being the first time I have come across it, I have no idea whether it is normal or not but the darn thing kept loading with Windows startup and I could find nowhere to prevent this.

During my search for the solution I discovered that it also automatically updates itself. Now, this is not unusual but its method is. Instead of being in the MSCONFIG Startup list like most programs, it used the Task Scheduler. Apparently this is the new way to get around the "problem" of people removing stuff from Startup. People wouldn't think to look in Task Scheduler to stop it updating itself and it wouldn't show up in HijackThis either. Now how sneaky is that? :mad:

I had great pleasure in dumping it. :cool:

Chilling_Silence
15-02-2010, 09:09 AM
That's just it, it *doesn't* do what most people want, not to mention the speed difference for me is a big one. Security is another point. Then there's little things like SVG, or HTML5 video. Chrome supports both Ogg Theora AND h.264, whereas Internet Explorer supports none. It's also very broken with its rendering of websites, badly adhering to standards.

Here's a good example, go here in IE and see what you get:
http://acid3.acidtests.org

Compare it with Chrome which I tested this morning: http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/ChromeAcid3.PNG

Chilling_Silence
15-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Nah there's the update which happens in the task scheduler, but definitely not a "start with the computer" option in there ;)

It's worth noting though that it's becoming a more popular way of launching apps on login. EVEREST Ultimate Edition for example triggers the Scheduled "Launch Everest" task upon "login of my local user", so it always pays to keep an eye on there for stuff ...

FoxyMX
15-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Nah there's the update which happens in the task scheduler, but definitely not a "start with the computer" option in there ;)

I figured that. It still kept loading with Windows startup even after Task Scheduler was completely cleared and disabled. Only way to stop it was to uninstall it.

Agent_24
15-02-2010, 10:18 AM
I have dropped Google's applications after they decided to force installation of Google updater etc.

I don't want\need that crap. The only thing I ever used was Google earth, and now I just use Google maps online because I don't want their updater running.

It's my computer, and I'll have running on it what I want. Not what Google wants.