PDA

View Full Version : Any ISPs allow free data from Steam?

inphinity
12-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Just a quick question, does anyone know of any NZ ISP who allows free (unmetered) traffic to any of the Steam network sources? I know a few in Aus do, but not aware of any here :(

Suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
12-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Thats a good question. Some sites say since gameplanet and recoil are data free with Xnet. Steam maybe as well. Altho that depends if the server is local> What exactly are you after?

pctek
12-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Who cares?
Use it anyway.

Or even better don't, Steams a dog anyway and overly expensive.

inphinity
12-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks Speedy, Recoil I believe host the NZ Steam Content Server soooo might be worth looking in to, cheers.

PCTek - I care, and plenty of other people. How is it a dog and overly expensive when it's far cheaper than retail stores, saves on packaging etc - only downside is here in NZ with our crappy traffic limitations it can be a bit of a problem!

Thebananamonkey
12-02-2010, 04:50 PM
It really depends what servers you use.

I'm with Telstra, who host some TF2 and CS servers, which are free.
Unless you're gaming for un-natural amounts of time or are amazingly stingy, I find that it doesn't add up to that much bandwidth anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

pctek
12-02-2010, 05:21 PM
. How is it a dog and overly expensive when it's far cheaper than retail stores, saves on packaging etc -

Take a GOOD look at that.
They aren't cheaper is the point.
Google Steam Prices and you'll see half the world is complaining about it.

How is it a dog? The insistence on having to connect, even if only initially, the insistent way it immediately wants to update your game and itself all the time.

The problems that people get with it all the time.
Etc.

Good theory - bad in practice.

Trev
12-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Installed Empire Total War which use's Steam, after the install clicked on play the game and 1 1/2 hrs later was able to start after the updates had installed. Where most other games you can play with the updates or not, but with Steam games you can't.
:)

Chris09
12-02-2010, 06:35 PM
I buy all my games from Steam now. Usually saves me at a max of $30 per game to $90 when buying 2 games or more. Downloads extremely fast. I downloaded Dragon Age Origins (15G, but was probably a bit less with compression) within 3 hours. Same for Modern Warfare 2, which might I add, saved $55.90 NZD I do recall.... But I'm on unlimited, so traffic doesn't worry me.

I suppose you'll have to weigh the positive and negatives for yourself inphinity.

Mister
12-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Steam expensive?

I buy all my games from steam. I pre ordered Bioshock 2 for $60 NZD if I remember correctly. And I got bioshock 1 for free. In stores it's $100+

I also get alot of games for 80% off which are still worth 40-ish in stores. Steam is cheap if you buy at the right time. And I know a lot of different countries are complaining about the conversion rate or something, but we aren't talking about them.

Compared to buying in stores, steam is great.

dian77
12-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Thats a good question. Some sites say since gameplanet and recoil are data free with Xnet.

Really? I set my download region to New Zealand and downloaded a game off steam and only half of it counted as local usage, the rest was international.

EDIT: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

Click View individual server statistics and it shows recoil.

Speedy Gonzales
12-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Well Gameplanet anyway (http://www.xnet.co.nz/gameplanet/)

And according to this (http://www.xnet.co.nz/fusion/faq.shtml)

Q.What is considered 'free' local traffic therefore does not count toward my data usage?

A. Local traffic is any content that is part of Xnet's local service delivery and includes voice calls, content stored on Akamai caching content, Gameplanet Downloads, Gameplanet Gaming Servers, Recoil Games hosting and more.

I'm not on fusion but I know MS downloads, Akami servers (this would prob inc Itunes Store, downloads from Apple, the ATI site), and downloads from gameplanet are counted as local traffic. Dont know anything about steam. I dont have any games on this and I've never used steam

Agent_24
12-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Who cares?
Use it anyway.

Or even better don't, Steams a dog anyway and overly expensive.

More like a Steam(ing) pile of **** from the dog.

Prices might be cheaper sometimes but in my experience with it, it's got to be the single most annoying software I have ever used.

Breaks all the time, and when it isn't broken it wants to download far too many updates, and all I have is Half Life 2 and nothing else...

This is why I hate any games which require online DRM rubbish. Any game which requires that I put on my "to pirate" list. I only buy games which don't have such crap.

And Ubisoft or whoever has the new DRM which requires you to be online all the time for the game to work.... well I can tell you I wouldn't go near it with a 40 foot barge pole.

inphinity
12-02-2010, 08:19 PM
It really depends what servers you use.

I'm with Telstra, who host some TF2 and CS servers, which are free.
Unless you're gaming for un-natural amounts of time or are amazingly stingy, I find that it doesn't add up to that much bandwidth anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh it's not the bandwidth of playing that bothers me, it's the 15GB downloads for the game installs ;)

dian77
12-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Oh it's not the bandwidth of playing that bothers me, it's the 15GB downloads for the game installs ;)

Yes, that is really annoying.

Agent_24
12-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Yeah, if I just installed Half-Life 2 from my CD set, and want to play it, I want to play it now - not in 3 hours time when it finishes downloading 1.5GB or so of updates!! (And it never uses the full bandwidth of my connection either :mad:)

Agent_24
12-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Just a quick question, does anyone know of any NZ ISP who allows free (unmetered) traffic to any of the Steam network sources? I know a few in Aus do, but not aware of any here :(

Suggestions?

Your best bet is to get Telecom's Big Time plan. Then you get unmetered traffic for everything!

Paul.Cov
13-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Take a GOOD look at that.

How is it a dog? The insistence on having to connect, even if only initially, the insistent way it immediately wants to update your game and itself all the time.

The problems that people get with it all the time.
Etc.

Good theory - bad in practice.

Err, that kinda sounds a lot like Windows, and you use, service and sell that yourself.

Must admit to my own frustrations with Steam. Yes, that first time with the Orange Box, and instead of installing from the DVD it insisted on doing untold GB of downloads and totally ignored the content on the DVDs. Too bad for those on dialup!

However, it is certainly cheaper than in the stores, and has a broader range of content, including old titles that the stores don't carry any more.

My biggest concern is when they migrate the engine to Win7 and stop supporting XP - then a whole bunch of games will likely suddenly cease to be playable. I got some old war tye games (Commandoes?) through Steam, which were originally designed for Win98 and required registry settings for the Save Game and Settings to work. The current XP version of Steam fails to support these games registry settings - so no Save (yet they continue to sell the games, despite them being unplayable without the Save option working.):(

Spacemonkeynz
03-05-2010, 10:28 AM
More like a Steam(ing) pile of **** from the dog.

Prices might be cheaper sometimes but in my experience with it, it's got to be the single most annoying software I have ever used.

Breaks all the time, and when it isn't broken it wants to download far too many updates, and all I have is Half Life 2 and nothing else...

This is why I hate any games which require online DRM rubbish. Any game which requires that I put on my "to pirate" list. I only buy games which don't have such crap.

And Ubisoft or whoever has the new DRM which requires you to be online all the time for the game to work.... well I can tell you I wouldn't go near it with a 40 foot barge pole.

You must live in 1995, connecting to the internet with your dial up modem, with that awesome sound it makes.

Have you seen the latest episode of beyond 2000?
In the future, people will have broadband connections called ADSL, which will allow then to be connected to the internet all the time, and be able to use their phone at the same time.

Amazing eh, I can't wait.

There will also be flying cars and we'll live in domes.

Agent_24
03-05-2010, 10:52 AM
My problem is not that my internet connection needs to be on all the time (I do have ADSL and it is on all day anyway)

The problem is that their DRM servers have to be online all the time.

The other problem is that there is no good reason why any of these DRM ideas and programs actually need to exist.

A lot of people who bought Assassin's Creed 2 couldn't play it on day one, because Ubisoft's DRM servers were down.

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/assassins-creed-2-unplayable-as-ubisoft-drm-servers-go-down-2010037/

However, if you had pirated it, you would have had no problem :D

Legit buyers = pissed off
Pirates = happy
DRM = cracked
Ubisoft = wasted truckloads of money implementing a DRM system that was quickly cracked and just pissed off the people who bought the game by not working.

DRM = F**king stupid

You can go ahead and buy the game if you want, but don't blame me if you can't actually play what you just paid $100 for

Idiots like this don't deserve anyone's money until they go back to the simple copy protection method of a CD-Key to install the game and then NO OTHER CRAP.

Trev
03-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Settlers 7 by Ubisoft is the same. Everytime you want to play it has to connect to Ubisoft whether you want to play online or not. The other night I couldn't play because the game wouldn't connect to there server.

Agent_24
03-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Aren't you just so glad you can't play the game you paid for? - while others who pirated it and paid nothing are playing it whenever they like.

Trev
03-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Yes they are the buggers who have made it like this.

Agent_24
03-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Ubisoft are the idiots who actually thought this moronic DRM strategy would work.

Ever since games have been sold for the PC, people have pirated them. It's nothing new

The problem is that companies like Ubisoft seem to fail to realise that stopping them is not possible, they should just give up.

If I was Ubisoft I would rather gain more sales by not pissing off my customers than lose sales by attempting (and failing) to stop pirates, and wasting money in the process.

After my first (and last) Steam game (Half-Life 2) Valve has lost me as a customer permanently. I will never buy anything that requires Steam ever again. It feels as if I am paying so they can annoy the hell out of me, rather than sell me a decent game.

I honestly don't know why they bother with copy protection at all. In fact the harder the copy protection, the more likely someone is going to want to break it for the challenge.

If all game publishers abandoned all copy protection schemes, the cracker groups would have nothing to do ;)