PDA

View Full Version : Studying computers.

Blackandblue
12-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Hey, I was looking to do a bachelor of computers and was wondering where you have studyed computers/bachelor? Aut or Unitec/ames(or what else)

Aut is a university and unitec is not but is that a reason to pick one over the other? Because employers prefer some one that does architecture went to unitec over AU, because its more practical.

Blackandblue
12-02-2010, 02:08 PM
bump

pctek
12-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Aut is a university and unitec is not but is that a reason to pick one over the other?

No.

You choose which facility you go to on the basis of the program they offer.

Which is determined by which are of IT you area you A)Have a talent for B)Are interested in.

Which is it?

Networking?
Programming?
Website development?
etc.....

Blackandblue
12-02-2010, 02:44 PM
How do you have a talent for computers lol? Like I can figure stuff out for my self and have learnt everything upto building a computer and stuff

And yes I am interested in computers/hardware/setting things up/internet/mainly anything/website developtment - I dont think id be good that programming cause Im not too good at maths BUT im ok

inphinity
12-02-2010, 03:07 PM
What would your target role or job be post-study?

Blackandblue
12-02-2010, 03:28 PM
"What would your target role or job be post-study? "

umm I dunno ay? maby something to do with hardware/techician or something to do with networking, Im not to sure.
Something that your using your hands?

Cato
12-02-2010, 04:10 PM
If you want to be setting things up and not coding, Compsci ain't for you.

If you want to be a techie, I'd say go for a diploma... Will be easier and will get you into the work force sooner.
A degree in Compsci will involve a lot of coding. Math is very important.

Why don't you have a playing and learn with C# or Java or something and see how you like it...

pctek
12-02-2010, 05:22 PM
How do you have a talent for computers lol?

You think that's a joke?

I've seen plenty of techs. Some are excellent and have a "nose" for troubleshooting.

Some blunder around and find the problem by sheer luck.
Some never do and make it worse.

Blackandblue
12-02-2010, 06:25 PM
oh I Just didnt know what you meant. Like you have a talent at art and singing I Just didnt know how you would have a talent with computers.

stormdragon
12-02-2010, 06:43 PM
AUT isn't to bad but you must fight your way through a whole lot of programming papers even if you don't want to do software development. Also you get made to do random Communications papers to try and get you writing essays and giving presentations about things you really don't care about. :groan:

Most of the lecturers are quite good, although their are some that fall in the category of if you can't do teach (and fail at that too :( ). Be-aware the school itself can be rather disorganised with somethings.:sleep

I've gotten though most of their BCIS and overall I have learnt a lot of relevant stuff, but also a lot of useless stuff I'm slowly forgetting as will never apply. :illogical

If your no good with maths good luck with networking papers and subnetting!

ronyville
12-02-2010, 07:58 PM
"What would your target role or job be post-study? "

umm I dunno ay? maby something to do with hardware/techician or something to do with networking, Im not to sure.
Something that your using your hands?

Than you are better off at Unitec doing the Bachelors of Computing Systems. (I did that). They have courses in networking (design and implementation), hardware stuff and also helpdesk support, website development and also multimedia stuff. AUT is more of Computer Sci which is basically more programming. Hope this helps.

COMPULSORY COURSES
Course no.Course name
Level 5
ISCG5400 Hardware Fundamentals
ISCG5401 Operating System Fundamentals
ISCG5410 Information Systems in Business
ISCG5420 Programming Fundamentals
ISCG5423 Introduction to Databases
ISCG5430 Professional Skills for IT Practitioners
Level 6
ISCG6410 Information Gathering
ISCG6411 Project Planning and Control
Level 7
ISCG7430 Project

ELECTIVE COURSES
Course no.Course name
Level 5
ISCG5403Networking Fundamentals
ISCG5421Programming Principles and Practice
ISCG5422Multimedia and Website Development
Level 6
ISCG6400Hardware Technology
ISCG6401Data Communications and Networks
ISCG6402Network Administration and Support
ISCG6403Network Operating Systems Management
ISCG6404Webmaster Technical
ISCG6405Applied Logic for Computing
ISCG6412Help Desk
ISCG6413Testing and Quality Assurance in ICT
ISCG6414Systems Analysis and Design
ISCG6420Internet and Website Development
ISCG6421GUI Programming
ISCG6422Multimedia Programming
ISCG6423Database Design and Development
ISCG6424User Interface Design
Level 7
ISCG7400Computer Systems Security
ISCG7401Advanced Data Communications
ISCG7402Network Design and Implementation
ISCG7410Information Systems Management
ISCG7413Testing and Quality Assurance Management
ISCG7414Business Systems Analysis
ISCG7420Web Application Development
ISCG7421Advanced Program Development

Blackandblue
12-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks for that.
Im thinking of doing it at Unitec cause it says you can leave after 2 years and get a diploma of computer systems(when doing BCS), which I think would be enough for me. And then I can choose to go back one year to finish the bachelor, if I wanted.

Im just not good at calculus :)

Blackandblue
12-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Hey ronyville, yea I tryed to compare the courses at each AUT and unitec and seemed I liked the Unitec courses more.
Is it very practical?

ronyville
12-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Yea, theory and practical, the networking courses are good, I also took multimedia cos it was more practical than theory. Its been 4 years so not sure if they have changed their course structure or not.