PDA

View Full Version : Firefox problem - intialize security component

Rayplum
11-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Hi,
I'm having trouble with Firefox. I keep getting this message at start up, and then if I continue I cant access secure sites - like my bank.

"Could not intialize the application's security component. The most probable cause is problems in your browsers profile file. Please check this directory has no read/write restrictions and your hard drive is not full or close to full. It is recommended that you exit the browser and fix the problem. If you continue to use this browser seesion, you might see incorrect browser behaviour when accessing security features".

I've updated to 3.6 - that didnt work. I've used an old backup version - that didn't work. My hard drive has 80% free space! That is 128Gb.

I don't know what this means, or what I can do to correct it.

Can you please help me solve this problem ? Only IE8 will work!!

Ray.

Speedy Gonzales
11-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Have you tried the steps here ? (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Could+not+initialize+the+browser+security+componen t)

If that doesnt work, I would uninstall FF again then delete all of its folders as well. Then reinstall it again

Rayplum
12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi Speedy,

Thanks, it worked. I deleted every folder and file as you adviced. Reinstalled Firefox 3.6 and it worked OK. I posted this problem on Firefox support but you were the first to respond.

Thanks again, Ray.

Speedy Gonzales
12-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Sweet !