PDA

View Full Version : Magic TV vs TiVO vs the rest

theob
11-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi all, sick of recording tv on my DVD recorder- such nasty pix!
Magic TV PVR looks great (www.magictv.co.nz/ ) , any feedback on them vs. Homecast (www.homecast.co.nz/) or TiVO? (www.mytivo.co.nz)
anyone found a way to buy Magic TV for less than rrp of 799? cheers Theo

ryanjames.powell
11-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Got any friends who work at places like Noel Leeming? They could get you a discount. A friend got me one through a friend of his for $669. PCW did a review of all of the MyFreeviewHD boxes and TiVo, I think it was last month. They said the Magic TV was best out of the non-tivo boxes. If you don't want the online content (or if you aren't with Telecom) then don't bother with TiVo.

alisam
11-02-2010, 11:02 PM
I don't regret buying a TiVo. I am a Telecom customer but I haven't used the Caspa Download Service (and probably never will based upon content). All in all I do like the TiVo.
I also like the on-line site which allows me to programme the TiVo, I find it very helpfull.

Davoid
12-02-2010, 06:56 AM
I have the Magic TV PVR and just love it, I purchased mine about 2 months ago at Harvey Norman for about $690.00, just told them I expected a discount for cash. Only thing I wish they would all do is allow you to connect an external hard drive to back programs that you want to keep (lets hope a future firmware update allows this :)

theob
14-02-2010, 02:40 PM
thanks for that. I managed to get Bond and Bond and Noel Leeming into a price war when I got my TV and blu-ray (and aren't they the same company?)- hopefully can do the same for a Magic TV box! cheers