PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird query

jarob
11-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Win.7 When sending multiple e'mails using Thunderbird, is there a quicker way of sending them all BCC other than doing each one individually ? thx

Sweep
11-02-2010, 09:21 AM
I don't use Thunderbird but others on here reckon it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Perhaps use a mailing list would be the best way to go.

http://email.about.com/od/mozillathunderbirdtips/qt/Send_a_Message_to_a_Mailing_List_with_Mozilla_Thun derbird.htm

Zippity
11-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Use a mail list and just place it in BCC :)

PinoyKiw
11-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Not sure if this will help.............but if it does.

try entering the names as acme@acme.net; someone@acme.net;

Use the ; end of each address and a gap. Works in Outlook Express, been a while since i have used Thunderbird but off memory that was also the way. When I was using Thunderbird, I often just entered a row of names into BCC.

Zippity
11-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Sorry, I think I misunderstood your OP :)

Pinoy's suggestion works a treat.

Sweep
11-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Not sure if this will help.............but if it does.

try entering the names as acme@acme.net; someone@acme.net;

Use the ; end of each address and a gap. Works in Outlook Express, been a while since i have used Thunderbird but off memory that was also the way. When I was using Thunderbird, I often just entered a row of names into BCC.

Surely this is doing them one at a time or entering them invividually.

I'm not sure if the OP is trying to send to multiple people with one email or if the OP was sending the messages one at a time or what.

Speedy Gonzales
11-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Do you have to use bcc? If you dont then create a distribution list. Then all you have to do is type a few letters in, then it'll send to all the people in the list

PinoyKiw
11-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I might have also misread the question as well........I read it as entering and sending one BCC email to each person.

Going down the ; path would solve that issue in having multiple names in the line of course.

Reading the question again.........if you wanted to send to the same group of people each and every time, eg, a update for your scout group or parents at a school, then creating a distribution list and naming it as what ever you wanted to call it would be the better way to go and you could still send it as BCC.

Have done it before using Thunderbird but cannot recall how. Was quite easy off memory.

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=BCC+distribution+list+in+Thunderbird&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

jarob
11-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Hope this isnt a copy
Installing Win 7 negates your option of using O.Exp., Windows Live (hotmail) is the given alternative which is not for me so Thunderbird is the closest alternative and works well .
Each e'mail from me is to multiple recipients, different recipients each time I send an e'mail and I wish that the recipients are unknown to each other.
If I enter BCC in the "TO" column it disappears when I enter an e'mail address
so I have to BCC each and every recipient I enter.
My query is, can I make all the recipients BCC after I have entered them with a simple action from me ??

gary67
12-02-2010, 05:39 AM
cut and paste?

Zippity
12-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Go into search in TB, type "BCC" and follow the instructions :)

Sounds to me like you don't have the view "BCC" option ticked or set up properly.

linw
12-02-2010, 09:05 AM
It's hard to see how to get this wrong! Click little down arrow, click BCC, Click Contacts, ctrl click recipients, drag and drop selected recipients to address box. QED.

If the Contacts icon is not there, rt click toolbar, click Customise and drag Contacts icon to toolbar.

jarob
12-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Linw, How simple is that?
I didn't realise you could put more than one recipient on a line.:thanks:

Sweep
12-02-2010, 09:40 AM
So it was solved in post 4 then.

jarob
12-02-2010, 12:43 PM
FROM Pinoy.

When I was using Thunderbird, I often just entered a row of names into BCC

Yes Sweep, looking back its obvious but at the time I had only double clicked on the person from the address column and it went into the "TO" column one under the other. Dragging and dropping didn,t occur to me.
Sllly old 76 yr. old

Sweep
12-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I KNOW that feeling! :-)

jarob
12-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Okay still not quite there yet.
I can drag and drop the names okay but the each "TO" line will only hold three or four addresses,if I keep dropping into one line it turns to rubbish and won't send. Okay three or four is better than one on a line but its still not what I hoped to get , however if thats it ,so be it.

Sweep
12-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I can drag and drop the names okay but the each "TO" line will only hold three or four addresses,if I keep dropping into one line it turns to rubbish and won't send. Okay three or four is better than one on a line but its still not what I hoped to get , however if thats it ,so be it.

OK. I have been away installing Thunderbird so I could see for myself. The first thing I found was that it did not want to import my address book or messages from Outlook 2007 so I have now uninstalled same.

But I think you need to click the arrow next to To: to make it show Bcc.

Follow the instuctions here:-
http://kb.mozillazine.org/BCC

I hope this helps. Incidently you put the addresses going across the page not down as there are only four lines.

PinoyKiw
12-02-2010, 01:42 PM

Thunderbird has probably gone few a few updates / upgrades since i last used it but when I was using it, it would comfortably accept 10 or 20 or 30 names in the BCC line, whether I was using a distribution list for a specific group or whether I was manually selecting the names.

Same should apply to TO and CC lines.

Your Thunderbird could be buggy.

Or it could be in a setting. Now, my memory is not that good and not sure if it was thunderbird but I do recall a mail program, not Outlook Express, where if you sent any more than x number of emails at one time or x number of addresses, any more than that it popped up a warning. I cannot recall the circumstances or the program though.

But as you said, being able to send to 4 names at once using BCC is better than one name at a time...........

Phil B
13-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Go into address book, create a mailing list & save it
Type your email. Add your mailing list to the To line, then change the To to Bcc. Your message will go to all the recipients on your list
You appear in the from field & undisclosed recipients in the to field. They can't see each others addresses, but that can all see yours (the sender)

linw
13-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Jarob, I can't understand the problem as my TB takes heaps per line.

My TB is ver 3.0.1, the latest. If yours is older, update it and try again.