PDA

View Full Version : Restoring System Folder - Win 7

Sergio
10-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Somehow I have managed to delete the systems folder "My Documents" in Users (my name).
Unfortunately "system Restore" was disabled.
How can I recreate a new My Documents folder in Users (my name) and make it a systems folder.
Once recreated I want to relocate it to my D Drive but it needs to be made a systems folder first to work properly!
Thanks

wainuitech
10-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Assuming you are talking about the My Documents folder under your user name, just open your user name folder and create a new folder called My Documents.

Just checked on the path in mine and its simply C:\Users\yourusermname (My Documents)

linw
10-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Are you sure it is deleted? Have you checked the Recycle Bin?

Check that you didn't move it somewhere with a wild mouse movement, too!

waldok
10-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Something to think about if you're setting up a new Win7 PC is that I don't really worry too much any more where My Documents is, with Win7 I've found it's pretty easy to just use the Libraries function. Right click on whatever folder you want to add to the Libraries and "Include in Library".

To remove from the Libraries go to the Library and click Show Locations, you can right click on one of them and make it the default save location if you want. You can also remove My Documents from the Library if you want, this doesn't actually delete the files but it removes the from the libraries.

It may not be for everyone (I know, I used to move My Documents around as well) but you may find it does the trick for you.

It's worth exploring the new right click options for folders, the other one that's really neat if you have more than one Win7 PC networked in a Homegroup is the sharing options.

Anyway I hope you manage to sort out the missing folder and set things up the way you like! :)

cheers
W

Sergio
10-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
I can create My Documents under my user name but its not a system folder. I need it to be a system folder so that it can be redirected to D: (where I store data files). Secondly my Sync prog needs it to be a sys folder to pick up. (I use GoodSync)
I'm syncing with Windows Home Server.
I have several PC's all with Win 7 and syncing to WHS with no problem however my laptop has the problem with My Documents not being a sys file.

wainuitech
10-02-2010, 10:32 PM
If you are using WHS, then do a recovery Restore from the last time it was backed up and was OK. Just make sure you copy any data since the backup you don't want to lose before doing it to another location.

Sergio
10-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Unfortunately WHS is only backing up my data drive so a restore wont help on this occasion!

wainuitech
11-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Unfortunately WHS is only backing up my data drive so a restore wont help on this occasion!Hmmm thats not very clever - so if you have a HDD failure every thing else is gone. WHS has saved two of my PC's here several times last year - when things really turned bad, it was quicker to run a restore and put the whole OS/Programs etc back than spend hours fixing the problem..

I have looked at 3 other W7 PC's and every one has the same path for the my Documents folder as I mentioned earlier. so why not just get GoodSync to aim at the new folder you create. Any good Sync/backup program you can select certain folders you want at any location.

Just clear one thing up thou - are you talking about the My Documents folder or the Documents folder. Have a look at The actual Path (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/my_Documents.jpg). Just follow the path in your PC and re create it. Or as it says, change the location.

In XP you had a folder called My Documents that was on the desktop ( normally by default) BUT in W7 its replaced by a folder called Yourusername - then inside that folder is My documents.

Sergio
11-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks again for your help. I need to step back to explain why I don't use WHS to back up my operating system. I have 3 work & 2 laptops connected to WHS. WHS is NOT configured to back up any of the data drives or for that matter the operating systems. The reasons being that WHS keeps all the backups for a user defined period of time and we end up with several copies of each backup x 5 computers - Huge! So rather than use WHS as a backup I have scheduled GoodSync to keep each PC synchronised with WHS every hour. As an added precaution I back up WHS to a 1TB external HDD (annoying that this cant be done automatically).
I handle the operating systems differently. Once a PC is set up and all software loaded I use Acronis to take a image of the whole C:. Each OS is stored as a TIB file on the D: Drive with backups on the 1TB external drive.
In summary, - if I lose a the operating system disk I simply use Acronis to copy the image back (say 20 minutes because the OS is relatively small with no user data). If I lose a data disk I use GoodSync to copy back from WHS. If I lose both drives (stolen/fire etc) then I revert to the 1TB external drive which is usually kept off site. I find this system very economical on both time and more importantly HDD space.
My Documents or Documents: Good question. All PC's have My Documents pointing to D: but one of the laptops only has a Documents folder, no My Documents. This is the one GoodSync is having a problem with as My Documents on WHS recognises Documents on the laptop so wants to delete one side and recreate the other. I tried renaming documents to My Documents on the laptop user account but GoodSync disregards that and keeps going for Documents, even if I delete it. I figured out if I added MY Documents to Laptop user and could make it a system folder then delete Documents then GoodSync would be able to sync without recreating a new folder.
Hopefully all this makes sense!!!