PDA

View Full Version : PC Power Supplie issues

robjg63
10-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi,
At work we have a bunch of Lenovo A60 ThinkCentre Pcs. They are just over 3 years old (just out of warranty).
Recently (like the last 3 weeks) we have had 2 power supplies die in them. First thing we did was put surge protectors on the PCs. Since then 2 more have died.

The PSU is a puny 220w long skinny (non-standard) thing. Tracked down a supplier that wanted over $200 each + GST and they were going to bring them in from somewhere overseas. Since then tracked down someone else who quoted $150 + GST originally and now wants $170+GST - but will take a while to arrive.

I'd really like to know what has happened - is there a component that is faulty? - like say dud capacitors that are all going to expire (and maybe have the same problem in the 'new' PSUs?)

Does anyone know of any place near central Auckland that does old style electronics that could maybe pull one apart and see what has gone wrong and/or maybe repair? I've looked through the yellow pages website and googled a bit but no joy....

Plan B is to gut the PCs and move the motherboard,drives etc over to a generic case - seems feasible but there are a couple of issues with odd connectors to the front USB/sound ports.

Any ideas?

sroby
10-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi,

I'd really like to know what has happened - is there a component that is faulty?

That would be a big yes, could be fet, resistor, cap, driver IC etc etc
It wont be a fuse, the fuse will only blow on these if something else failed first.
PSU failures are common.
There are still companies in AK that to PSU repairs at the component level, not allways worth the cost & sometimes unpractical (deemed unrepairable)

Cheap option is to just rebuild it in a new case. But beware, cheap cases often have cheap & nasty PSU's.

The surge protectors are often a waste of $$ unless you pay the big money for a good one. And then they are only good for a single spike - usually no way of telling if its been spiked (good surge protector has a light to tell you it has been spiked & will now require repair)

pctek
10-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Hi,
Lenovo A60 ThinkCentre Pcs.

Recently (like the last 3 weeks) we have had 2 power supplies die in them. Since then 2 more have died.

The PSU is a puny 220w long skinny (non-standard) thing.

Plan B is to gut the PCs and move the motherboard,drives etc over to a generic case

Oh yuk.

Oh, surprise, surprise. Most of those **** boxes have nasty power supplies. You see so many die because you have so many.....

I would just go with Plan B. It's what I always do when I come across those sort of PSU/case combos.

Agent_24
10-02-2010, 03:34 PM
There's a video on Youtube of someone with a huge stack of HP machines. Every time they plug one in, the PSU explodes.

Usually bad capacitors cause problems in the output destroying the motherboard rather than the PSU itself.

The Enermax Liberty line of PSUs had issues a while back with some glue they used. After a year or so, the glue became conductive and caused leakage between pins of the main switcher transistor, I think the result was it locking on, short circuiting, and exploding.

After that they switched to a different glue.

It could be that your problems are similar.

If you can find someone who can diagnose the fault, work out what causes the failure and then implement a fix and prevention for the other PSUs, you might have a good thing going.

It could well be that there is just a single component is failing over time, which has these problems.

You could ask on Badcaps.net forum, there may be someone there who has seen this problem before and knows what to do...

pkm
10-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Ive had same issue with HP D530 SFF. Long skinny HOT running power supply, out of ten only four left alive. Put the mobo in a normal case if they are worth it.