PDA

View Full Version : Screws in base of Laptop

PinoyKiw
10-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Toshiba A50, the screws along the front bottom of the laptop have gone missing, un-noticed till today when one dropped out in front of me.

Jaycars have screws about the same size but only half as long as the Toshiba one's.

Wondering if anyone would know where in Christchurch I could lay my hands on 5 replacement compatible screws.

Haven't been to Bunnings or Mega10 yet but I don't need to buy a whole container which the hardware outlets seem to sell now.

pctek
10-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Dropped out? Thread stripped?

PinoyKiw
10-02-2010, 01:42 PM
The one that dropped out today is ok thread wise and screwed back in ok.

This laptop has travelled well over the years, I am assuming they have just become loose over time and slowly unwound on themselves. Have checked my computer bag and nothing there that shouldn't be there.

All else fails, duct tape will secure the front bottom and top halfs together........

DeSade
10-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Toshiba A50, the screws along the front bottom of the laptop have gone missing, un-noticed till today when one dropped out in front of me.

Jaycars have screws about the same size but only half as long as the Toshiba one's.

Wondering if anyone would know where in Christchurch I could lay my hands on 5 replacement compatible screws.

Haven't been to Bunnings or Mega10 yet but I don't need to buy a whole container which the hardware outlets seem to sell now.

Go to one of the bigger trade stores, they have screws in loose bins and you can buy as few as you need.

Either that or check out PCU on Washington Way, I go in there once a year to buy a large pack of computer screws for $5

Coaster
10-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Blacks Fasteners http://www.blacksfasteners.co.nz/

HAL9000
10-02-2010, 02:22 PM
If in Auckland you could try Service Plus in Great South Road.

When I worked there, many moons ago, we had spares from wrecked machines which we'd use when we got machines with missing screws.

Ciao

Justin

PinoyKiw
10-02-2010, 07:57 PM
I was in Great South Road just yesterday........but not today.

Will check out Blacks here in Christchurch, never thought of them, I know where they are, not out of my way.

Thanks for the replies.

PinoyKiw
11-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Just a update to this for anyone else that may need screws in the future.

Finally became aware that there is a Toshiba Repair agent in Christchurch located at The Laptop Company in Kilmore Street between Manchester Street and Colombo Streets on the right hand side.

Got what I needed from there but if I ordered screws specifically for the A50 they would have had to be shipped in at about $4 a screw from Toshiba.:banana

All fixed now.

Burnzee
11-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Hi PinoyKiw

about $4 a screw from Toshiba.

Hell, four buck$ each!! :groan: :groan: What got screwed the laptop or you!!:p:p

BURNZEE

PinoyKiw
12-02-2010, 06:38 AM
Hell, four buck$ each!! :groan: :groan: What got screwed the laptop or you!!:p:pBURNZEE

I will rephase ...... The Laptop Company had some screws that would fit so I got those for a minimumal fee BUT if they had been unable to provide any screws or if I had wanted genuine Toshiba screws, then some would have had to be ordered in at $4 a screw. If I had ordered genuine Toshiba screws I would have been :crying